News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 two phone ports?

Started by EllenL, January 05, 2017, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EllenL

So am I a complete idiot?  I thought the OBI200 had 2 phone ports, so I could plug two different phones into the box.  I have it in my hand, but I only see one phone port.

What's up? Did I misunderstand? Is it one physical port that has two virtual ports?

Taoman

Quote from: EllenL on January 05, 2017, 06:52:21 PM
I thought the OBI200 had 2 phone ports, so I could plug two different phones into the box.  

What's up? Did I misunderstand? Is it one physical port that has two virtual ports?

The OBi200 has one physical (FXS) phone port.
The OBi202 has two physical (FXS) phone ports

EllenL

Yeah, I got that.  I read so much while trying to fihgure out what I wanted, that somehow i got them confused.  I didn't really need the router on the 202 -- still not sure what that is actually for - and must have thought the difference was just that and not the phone ports.

Given that, what do I do with the router and why would I want the WiFi?

I don't see any advantage to the 200 over the 100 (yes, no longer available but I have one already) except the USB, and I have no idea what I would do with it., since my handset is already bluetooth enabled.

Taoman

Quote from: EllenL on January 05, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Given that, what do I do with the router and why would I want the WiFi?
If I owned a 202 I would disable the router and put the device in bridge mode as I wouldn't need the router either. If you had a very limited amount of bandwidth you could enable the router and use QoS to allocate more bandwidth to your VoIP connection. Most people don't have that issue these days.
WiFi would be used if OBi couldn't be physically located near your router. Then WiFi might work for a connection but not something I would recommend. I would always go with wired ethernet.

Quote from: EllenLI don't see any advantage to the 200 over the 100 (yes, no longer available but I have one already) except the USB, and I have no idea what I would do with it., since my handset is already bluetooth enabled.

I have an OBi110 that continues to work perfectly and I have no plans to retire it. (But I also don't have Google Voice configured on this OBi. If I needed Google Voice configured on my OBi I would get a 20x series since they are no longer updating the firmware for the 1xx series.)

I am unclear what your goal is here. Do you need two separate phones on two separate lines? If so, you can easily do that with your existing 100 and the 200 you now also have. That's the way I do it.

UnhappyBev

Quote from: Taoman on January 05, 2017, 07:50:57 PM
Quote from: EllenL on January 05, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

I don't see any advantage to the 200 over the 100 (yes, no longer available but I have one already) except the USB, and I have no idea what I would do with it., since my handset is already bluetooth enabled.

I have an OBi110 that continues to work perfectly and I have no plans to retire it. (But I also don't have Google Voice configured on this OBi. If I needed Google Voice configured on my OBi I would get a 20x series since they are no longer updating the firmware for the 1xx series.)

I am unclear what your goal is here. Do you need two separate phones on two separate lines? If so, you can easily do that with your existing 100 and the 200 you now also have. That's the way I do it.

Maybe I'm in a similar situation, now that Obihai has finished sabotaging the OBi110, which they say I should just toss in the trash and buy their new fancy OBi200, which how long will it be before they say toss that in the trash and get the OBi300?  I get the "No Service Available" even though it says the phone is connected, and I have the latest firmware, and it still goes out once or twice a month.

So given that I don't want to give Obihai even one penny more than they have gotten, due to their rotten business model, I am now wondering is it possible to set up the Obi202, which is in a different section of the house, to have two incoming phone lines, and two phones connected to it, each with their own Google Voice phone number?  As it is currently, the Obi110 is on one line, connected to a phone, and the Obi202 is on a separate line, connected to a different phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: UnhappyBev on January 06, 2017, 09:57:36 AM
Maybe I'm in a similar situation, now that Obihai has finished sabotaging the OBi110,
There are many users here, including myself, who have OBi110s still working just fine without having paid OBihai a penny since the initial purchase.

Maybe your 110 is indeed now faulty.  Face it, no piece of consumer electronics lasts for ever. But if you really believe that it is not working properly because of deliberate action by Obihai ....

Maybe your 110 is not faulty and your problem lies elsewhere.

UnhappyBev

Quote from: drgeoff on January 06, 2017, 11:59:15 AM
Maybe I'm in a similar situation, now that Obihai has finished sabotaging the OBi110,

But if you really believe that it is not working properly because of deliberate action by Obihai ....

A bit cryptic for somebody so knowledgeable.  So where does the problem lie? 

Considering that nothing has been changed in months, except for the firmware update, the Obihai which worked fine then didn't work fine, randomly working and then not working, online and then offline.  I wasn't the only one experiencing these problems, perhaps a quick search of the previous topics would give further examples, and simultaneously to all these problems occurring, Obihai "offers" their new $10 / year technical support help.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: UnhappyBev on January 06, 2017, 12:43:46 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on January 06, 2017, 11:59:15 AM

But if you really believe that it is not working properly because of deliberate action by Obihai ....

Considering that nothing has been changed in months, except for the firmware update, the Obihai which worked fine then didn't work fine, randomly working and then not working, online and then offline.  I wasn't the only one experiencing these problems, perhaps a quick search of the previous topics would give further examples, and simultaneously to all these problems occurring, Obihai "offers" their new $10 / year technical support help.

UnhappyBev,  Just an FYI: 

I have a Obi110 and a Obi100 that continue to work flawlessly with Google Voice and voip.ms.  I do NOT have "paid" ObiTalk support on any of my Obi devices and have not had any issues other than having to "Reauthorize" Google Voice a couple of times after Google Voice made changes. 

If I was having issues and could not quickly find a workable solution on this forum, I would gladly pay the $10 fee to obtain Obi support on the device in order to resolve the issue. 
BigJimMcD

dircom

Maybe I'm in a similar situation, now that Obihai has finished sabotaging the OBi110, which they say I should just toss in the trash and buy their new fancy OBi200, which how long will it be before they say toss that in the trash................

Please DO NOT THROW electronics in the TRASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!, please give it to someone who will use it ---
or many cities in the USA have electronics recyling.

EllenL

Sorry for the delayed response.  I realized that I just mixed myself up after I got the device, but I did indeed decide that I only needed the OBi200.  I wanted to use more than one phone set and was informed that I really just needed a splitter connector that would give me two phone jacks from the one jack, just like we used to do in the olden days when Bell charged us for each jack.

But now I am interested in how to get two separate phones on two separate lines when I only have the one jack.

EllenL

Quote from: UnhappyBev on January 06, 2017, 12:43:46 PM

Have you manually updated the firmware yourself?  The $10 is really just to have them do this procedure for you.  It is an extremely simple procedure and should solve the issues you are having IF you haven't done this.

If not, I have no suggestion.  My OBi100 is still working perfectly after the initial bumps caused by the need for manual firmware updates.

Here are the links and instructions: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

drgeoff

Quote from: EllenL on February 01, 2017, 12:11:16 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.  I realized that I just mixed myself up after I got the device, but I did indeed decide that I only needed the OBi200.  I wanted to use more than one phone set and was informed that I really just needed a splitter connector that would give me two phone jacks from the one jack, just like we used to do in the olden days when Bell charged us for each jack.

But now I am interested in how to get two separate phones on two separate lines when I only have the one jack.
You can't.

Your OBi200 can have up to 4 different accounts but has onlĂ˝ one phone port. So one call at a time.

EllenL

Yes.  Thank you.  I finally remembered why I decided on the OBi200 rather than the OBi202 ... because I wanted to add more than one phone system, but did not need the ability to make more than one simultaneous call (I live alone) ... so just adding a jack splitter on the outbound phone line will suffice to allow more than one handset system to be utilized throughout my home.

Thank you for your help.