News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Looping the LAN thru a ATA (as a router) vs using a separate router?

Started by videobruce, January 08, 2017, 07:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videobruce

From a stress & heat standpoint, especially if you already have a router, isn't it better just to use a ATA as a ATA, not as a router to reduce the workload for the ATA system processor so it runs cooler and removes the additional data flow?

I realize it's designed for this, but my concern is longevity and trouble free operation as much as possible. It just seems as running two phone lines (almost never active at the same time) and a Broadband connection, especially when transferring large files, Internet or local, would be a strain.
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

drgeoff

The difference, if any, in heat generation, is so miniscule as to have no significant impact on a 202's longevity.

By current standards the 202's throughput as a router is very low so for that reason most people possessing a modern router would use that for their routeing needs.

But if one has a particularly low speed internet connection then using a 202 as the router and invoking its QoS features could be beneficial in reducing choppiness on IP phone calls.

videobruce

Thanks for the reply.

Other than the QoS issue, which there isn't one (knock on wood), using a 'streaming' scenario that loads down the connection, isn't that an additional workload for the ATA even if you have a separate router?
And how about if you were using just a 'Switch' and leting the ATA do the 'routing'? More load?

It just seems as that would 'strain' the device.

drgeoff

You have reminded me of the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Mango

Quote from: videobruce on January 08, 2017, 09:02:54 AMIt just seems as that would 'strain' the device.

You are indeed describing what the device is designed to do.  You may find better performance out of a more expensive router, and that is fine.  But, I would not consider longevity as a reason not to use some of the features of your equipment.

Since longevity is a concern, I suggest place your networking gear behind a UPS, with surge protection for your connection to the internet (if ADSL or cable, not requried for fibre).  The UPS provides protection against surges/spikes and some protection against lightning strikes, and it will also keep your equipment online during power outages or brownouts (frequent power cycles are not good for electronics).

videobruce

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on January 08, 2017, 09:12:30 PM
Maybe I should of used the term 'max out'.
Maybe you should learn that "of" is never an acceptable substitute for "have".

videobruce

LTN1

Quote from: videobruce on January 09, 2017, 06:04:43 AM
And that means what?

My goodness man...our British friend, drgeoff, was just jesting about your bad grammar with the use of "of" instead of "have" in a previous sentence.

Frankly, this British properness, with its sophisticated and cool Queen's English makes me sick.

drgeoff

Quote from: LTN1 on January 09, 2017, 06:21:56 AM
And that means what?

My goodness man...our British friend, drgeoff, was just jesting about your bad grammar with the use of "of" instead of "have" in a previous sentence.

Frankly, this British properness, with its sophisticated and cool Queen's English makes me sick.
Are you claiming that "should of" is proper American English?

LTN1

Quote from: drgeoff on January 09, 2017, 08:01:08 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on January 09, 2017, 06:21:56 AM
And that means what?

Are you claiming that "should of" is proper American English?

It should be improper in any form of proper English--except maybe street and gangsta English. The "makes me sick" comment was tongue-in-cheek--from an American Anglican sometimes envious of Oxon etiquette (not the county or town).

LTN1

Sometimes, you need to speak a little of street English to convey and feel the impact of the situation. Here's one of my favorite scenes (note the Black man's response at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto

videobruce

LTN1

Quote from: videobruce on January 09, 2017, 12:29:56 PM
Boy, did this thread get off track.  :o

Mea maxima culpa...please continue with the original subject matter.