News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi1062: any way to support USB headsets?

Started by KirkWolf, January 10, 2017, 09:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkWolf

It doesn't appear from the documentation that this would be supported simply by plugging in the USB headset (pity).

What about some EHS adapter?  third party?

Thanks

SteveInWA

The phones are designed to use commercial/business-class headsets that attach via the RJ-9 jack on the bottom of the phone.  Yes, Jabra and Plantronics headsets work with their respective EHS adapters.

You can also use a headset with a standard 3.5mm phone plug, or most USB-attached headsets.  Bluetooth headsets work, but they have limited range.

No WiFi headsets.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 10, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
You can also use a headset with a standard 2.5mm phone plug.
My 1032 has a 3.5 mm socket. Either the 1062 is different or SteveInWA has had a "senior moment".  :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on January 10, 2017, 03:17:09 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on January 10, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
You can also use a headset with a standard 2.5mm phone plug.
My 1032 has a 3.5 mm socket. Either the 1062 is different or SteveInWA has had a "senior moment".  :)
Jeeeeez, do you camp on the forum just waiting for every typo I make?  Right.  3.5mm.  My non-OBi phone uses 2.5mm.  Gawd help the consumer.

Davoice

FYI: HD bluetooth headsets work great with the 1062. No OBiBT, USB or cord needed.  I use my OBi1062 with 3 different headsets:

1) Plantronics Voyager Legend (manually set to HD mode via Plantronics software)
2) VXi Blueparrott B450-XT (my primary daily desk headset now)
3) VXi Blueparrott Reveal Pro (primary headset for in the car)

The Plantronics can be a little flaky with the OBi1062.  But both VXI headsets are rock solid and the buttons on the headset work for hang up/answer, mute and volume.

SteveInWA

That's great; thanks for listing those BT headsets.

One important thing to know, however, is that those headsets, like all BT devices, have a limited range, and will start to crap out if you walk to another room.  By contrast, the professional-grade cordless headsets use DECT 6.0, which has a much longer range.  Using my Jabra DECT 6.0 headsets, with the base station and phone upstairs, I can walk downstairs, into the garage, or out on my driveway, and several houses away, and still have a clear conversation.

Of course, they're expensive, but you get what you pay for.

SeanTek

USB headsets are supported!  :D

I updated my Obi1062 firmware recently, so now it is running Software Version: 5.0.6 (Build: 176EX.1311). I have Hardware Version: 1.3. In Preferences, scroll down and look for "Preferred Headset Device". If USB Headset is on the list, then your phone supports USB sound card dongles. (To my knowledge, you do not actually need to set this preference in order for it to work.)

I do not know what exact kind of USB sound card dongles are supported, but there is a generic USB Audio class. If you have a USB sound card dongle that presents to Windows and Mac OS X as some kind of generic type that does not require drivers for basic functionality, chances are good that it will work with the Obi 1000 series. I tested my Obi1062 successfully with a Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma USB sound card dongle: just basic stereo line out and mic in 3.5mm jacks.

WelshPaul

Quote from: SeanTek on August 02, 2017, 03:14:34 AM
USB headsets are supported!  :D

They are now yes, When SteveInWA said that they were not, at the time of his post, he was correct! USB headset support was added in a later firmware release back in February I believe.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

jiasmith1985

how USB headset can be supported?? Mostly phones comes with 3.5 mm jack...

SteveInWA

Quote from: jiasmith1985 on February 04, 2020, 11:35:47 AM
how USB headset can be supported?? Mostly phones comes with 3.5 mm jack...

The phone also has a USB jack, which supports USB headsets.

drielingme

Quote from: Davoice on January 17, 2017, 06:56:10 PM
FYI: HD bluetooth headsets work great with the 1062. No OBiBT, mycfavisit USB or cord needed.  I use my OBi1062 with 3 different headsets:

1) Plantronics Voyager Legend (manually set to HD mode via Plantronics software)
2) VXi Blueparrott B450-XT (my primary daily desk headset now)
3) VXi Blueparrott Reveal Pro (primary headset for in the car)

The Plantronics can be a little flaky with the OBi1062. But both VXI headsets are rock solid and the buttons on the headset work for hang up/answer, mute and volume.

You make me happy for sharing, in this post some special information. Thank you.