News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV doesn't ring ported #

Started by jfd77, January 10, 2017, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfd77

Been using OBi202 for several months with no problem with my ported my number to GV. Had to change my Google password. OBi said I needed to update my credentials. Did all that, now when I get calls to my ported number they go to voicemail / email, does not ring phone. When I call the GV number, phone rings. When I place calls, the GV number is displayed. I did not intentionally change anything other than the password. Have checked all of the obvious, and rebooted everything, but cannot seem to rectify. Any help / guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

LTN1

While I'm certain there are expert volunteers on this (Obihai/OBiTalk) forum that can assist you, have you patiently tried getting help from the Google Voice forum--as this appears to be a GV issue?

SteveInWA

Heh heh, Lt.

Looks like John already tried that and my buddy Red sent him here.

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/3jP2b4tk-Zw/discussion

John:

Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile device, and go here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Confirm that you see the exact two words, "Your number" on the left side of that web page.  If you don't, then you are signed into the wrong Google account.  If this is the correct account, then stay signed in, and press Ctrl-T to open another, new browser tab.

Log into your OBiTALK web portal.  Click your OBi.  Click the SPx slot that has Google Voice.  Accept the warning about emergency calls.  On the next page, click the link to "Replace Google Account Credentials" and follow the instructions.

SteveInWA

OH, and don't forget the Homer Simpson error:  Google Chat must have a check mark to the left of it on your GV Settings/Phone page.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 10, 2017, 05:49:40 PM
Heh heh, Lt.

Looks like John already tried that and my buddy Red sent him here.

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/3jP2b4tk-Zw/discussion

Good to know, Steve. Personally, I would go to you first on this forum...but wasn't sure if you wanted to provide the assistance in the GV forum to help others with similar problems there.

SteveInWA

Nearly everyone of us with a "badge" over on the GV forum has/uses an OBi, btw, but most defer to me to answer those questions.

jfd77

Many thanks for responses, unfortunately still in same boat. One area that I was 'unclear' on, even though I do not believe that I changed anything, should the 'your number' be the GV number or the ported number - it shows the GV number? Thank you.

LTN1

Quote from: jfd77 on January 11, 2017, 05:56:09 AM
Many thanks for responses, unfortunately still in same boat. One area that I was 'unclear' on, even though I do not believe that I changed anything, should the 'your number' be the GV number or the ported number - it shows the GV number? Thank you.

To better give you extra sets of eyes in order to make sure you aren't missing anything, why don't you take some screenshots of the OBi settings (on the OBiTalk web site) and Google Voice settings that Steve asked you to check. Black out any private information then attach them to your reply so others can confirm that the settings are accurate. The more screenshots you can provide, the better.

SteveInWA

Quote from: jfd77 on January 11, 2017, 05:56:09 AM

That suggests your port may either have stalled or got screwed up.  What does the porting status page say about the port?  https://www.google.com/voice/porting

On your Google Voice Settings/Phones page, do you see a yellowish bar at the top, informing you of the port being in process, or some other message?

jfd77

Didn't see message about the port until I just logged in, so will leave these screen shots, and then check it out. Thanks.

jfd77

Well the number was already ported, or am I looking at the wrong thing? Thanks.

SteveInWA

Please post a screenshot of this page, with all but the last 4 digits of any phone numbers blacked out.  Also black out your email address for privacy.  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

jfd77

Please see attached.....thanks.

LTN1

Is the 8911 number your already ported number (not the GV number)?

If it is, have you tried calling that number from a few different outside telephone numbers? This is to make sure that a particular incoming number isn't being treated like SPAM or has a different rule that is found under Settings/Groups & Circles.

jfd77

Well....you would think at my age that I would know better, OR you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but apparently, when the credentials were reset for the Obihai, and the system reset, someone, who shall remain nameless, got their ports crossed, and the phone line for the ported number was placed in the port for the GV number. So sorry to have wasted all of your time, but truly appreciate the efforts. Thanks and stay safe.

SteveInWA

Quote from: jfd77 on January 12, 2017, 01:47:12 PM
Well....you would think at my age that I would know better, OR you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but apparently, when the credentials were reset for the Obihai, and the system reset, someone, who shall remain nameless, got their ports crossed, and the phone line for the ported number was placed in the port for the GV number. So sorry to have wasted all of your time, but truly appreciate the efforts. Thanks and stay safe.

No worries, as your post above was what I was going to tell you next!