News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Hangouts API EoL- Effect on Obi and Google Voice?

Started by PaulMisner, January 14, 2017, 04:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulMisner

I've been reading that Google will be deprecating the Google Hangouts API effective April 2017. Does anyone know what the effect will be on Obi and Google Voice. Thanks in advance.

restamp

Granted, Steve has provided us with an answer regarding the OBis, but what about the other GV packages?  I'm presuming the Android app Hangouts Dialer will no longer work, and that's a shame because I use it a lot and it integrates well with GV.  Will there be anything equivalent to Hangouts Dialer for Android users?

Taoman

Quote from: restamp on January 14, 2017, 08:11:03 AM
I'm presuming the Android app Hangouts Dialer will no longer work, ...

I wouldn't make that presumption. My interpretation was that only third-party products that integrate using the Hangouts API would be affected. I wouldn't consider the Hangouts dialer, developed by Google, a third-party product. But I certainly could be wrong.

Steve?

SteveInWA

The announcement was that the Hangouts API will no longer be supported.  The API was intended for third parties to develop apps that used Hangouts for complementary functions.  For example, a maker of video conference systems would use that API to control Hangouts integrated into their product.  A provider of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software would use that API to integrate calling into their contact management system.

The announcement has nothing at all to do with Google Voice.  Google Voice uses Hangouts for VoIP calling, which is not using that API, and the VoIP calling function is not going away.  It's always possible that Google may shuffle around functions between products, but the important point is that the VoIP calling function isn't being eliminated.

restamp