December 12, 2017, 12:03:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for way to receive text messages via google voice inside metal building  (Read 40852 times)
stevec218.so

« on: January 19, 2017, 10:05:53 am »

Hello.  I currently use a google voice number with a OBI200.  A phone connected to the OBI200 allows me to receive phone calls inside my metal home where my cell phone does not work.  I have my google voice set up to send a copy of my texts to my gmail and use a gmail notifier to check for new gmail every minute.  An alarm goes off when I get a text or voice mail.  It works pretty good.  But there is a couple of problems.  First I have to leave my computer on all the time when I'm at home.  Second, the gmail notifier doesn't always notify me when I get new email.  I've tried to install a google voice notifier but haven't gotten it to work yet.  I'm wondering if there is a way using a special phone that is hooked up to my OBI200 that will receive text messages as well as phone calls?  Do you sell such a phone?  Thanks.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:39 pm »

I don't see a problem here.

If you are in the building, then use a smartphone or tablet, connected via WiFi, and signed into the Android or iOS Google Voice app.  The app will receive the text messages.  The smartphone or tablet IS a computer, and so you do not need a desktop computer running all the time.

If you are in an area with mobile phone network reception, then the portable device will still receive the text messages, either over WiFi or the mobile carrier's network.

No, OBi adapters do not support text messaging.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: