News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Importing Google Contacts to Obi202

Started by frankpc, January 19, 2017, 05:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: frankpc on February 19, 2017, 06:54:11 PM
Google Fiber's Phone uses Google Voice and their CID arrangement utilizes Google Contacts to match a name to a number and forwards the CID name and number to your hard wired phone via their ATA.  (Pictures of the OBi200 look close to identical to the Google Fiber ATA.  I've wondered whether they are both made by the same company).

From the Google Fiber setup info:
"On incoming calls, the Caller ID with name option displays names from your Google Contacts and Google Maps (in addition to the telephone number). This option is enabled by default, and can be disabled on the Phone settings page."

I only used this arrangement for a short time.  But it worked well.

I don't understand why there is a difference with the functionality between the two.  I'm sure I'm missing something here, but can't figure out what it is.

Thanks Steve,
Frank

The Google Fiber Phone Box is, in fact, a OBi 200 with custom firmware and a Google logo, made by Obihai for Google.  Since Google has full control of the entire system, and you have to pay for the service, Google added that feature only for their Fiber customers.

You are flogging a dead horse.  You can't make it work for free on a vanilla OBi device.

frankpc

Thanks Steve.  Glad to hear they are the same box.

I was really more interested in understanding what the difference between the two systems was rather than an attempt to circumvent the process.

Given both boxes are actually OBi200's, it would make sense for Google Fiber to provide access to the ATA setup like OBi does.  The only difference in functionality between the two that I noticed was that the OBi has a checkbox option to "Work with alarm systems" or something similar.  And indeed, the OBi does work whereas the original ATA would not.  Providing very limited access to their ATA seems like a pretty simple change for Google Fiber to make.

Rlw-PDX

Similar issue. I am forwarding the inbound Google Voice calls to my "anveo" phone number. Hopefully anveo will do the correct CNAM lookup. Looks like my old gv contact list is still stuck somewhere. Even if I change my cell phone contact name in my google voice contact list, upload my contact list to my Obi200, my old contact name for my cell phone is displayed. Question: How to I force a reset of all my contact names that are stored in my Obi200 unit, or does Obi200 for every phone call that comes in, contact my google voice contact list, and gets the more recent name?

frankpc

I received this note months and months ago when I asked where the contacts were stored:

Hi,

Remain on a cloud server.

Best Regards,
Obihai Technology

SteveInWA

Quote from: Rlw-PDX on November 09, 2017, 07:24:45 PM
Similar issue. I am forwarding the inbound Google Voice calls to my "anveo" phone number. Hopefully anveo will do the correct CNAM lookup. Looks like my old gv contact list is still stuck somewhere. Even if I change my cell phone contact name in my google voice contact list, upload my contact list to my Obi200, my old contact name for my cell phone is displayed. Question: How to I force a reset of all my contact names that are stored in my Obi200 unit, or does Obi200 for every phone call that comes in, contact my google voice contact list, and gets the more recent name?

No, there is no dynamic look-up upon each call.

No, you can't do anything to upload nor change the imported Google Voice contacts on an OBi ATA unless you're paying for OBiEXTRAs.  In that case, I'd contact Obihai and ask them how to purge the contacts, or if they can purge them for you.