News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Updating from my old OBI100 to OBI200

Started by pgde, January 25, 2017, 08:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgde

Hi All:

I just bought an OBI200 to replace my OBI100. Is there anyway to save the setup from the 100 to use on the 200 to make sure all my settings are carried forward without having to reinput them line by line?

Many thanks,

P.

drgeoff

Log in locally to your OBi100, click on System Management, then on Device Update.  Use the Backup Configuration option to save most settings to a file on your computer.

You can then use that file to import those settings to your new 200.  Either via the Restore Configuration option on the corresponding page on the 200 or into the Expert Mode on the Obitalk portal.  Which you use depends on whether you configure locally or on the portal.

Note that passwords are NOT saved in the backup file so you will need to re-enter those (eg AuthPassword under SIP Credentials).  I don't guarantee that everything else will be transferred but it should save you some work.

If you have GV configured, I expect (don't know for sure) that you will need to do that from scratch (using the portal).

BTW are you changing out your old OBi100 because it has died or because you have misinterpreted the End of Life email and panicked or some other reason? 

pgde

You must have ESP :) Yes, it was the email and I panicked . My OBI100 has been running since 2011 without a problem. Perhaps I should return the 200? And, I use Anveo (Free account) as my VOIP provider.

P.

Voipster

Quote from: drgeoff on January 25, 2017, 09:21:24 AM
BTW are you changing out your old OBi100 because it has died or because you have misinterpreted the End of Life email and panicked or some other reason? 

The email stated: " higher-performance and more advanced features".  So are you saying that OBi100 and OBi200 are functionally identical?  Meaning we were tricked (misinterpretation)?

drgeoff

Yes the 200 has higher performance and more features than the 100. But if a 100 is fully meeting your needs, a 200 will not meet them any better.

AAJM

Oh good God, this is all that I need.  I thought my Obi100 was going to die based on the email that they sent me, so I bought an Obi200.  Now I read that I didn't need to do this!?!  And, I'm left holding the bag trying to set this thing up!  They should make a "how to" to move from an obi100 to an obi200 since they emailed all obi100 users and told them to buy a obi200!  I can't figure out how to do this reading the string above.  Any additional words of advice?!!

lhm.

Anyone have success with the drgeoff suggestion? If so please advise.

TIA

Taoman

Quote from: lhm. on February 18, 2017, 12:27:04 PM
Anyone have success with the drgeoff suggestion? If so please advise.

TIA
I recently did it between 2 OBi 200's. Worked like a champ. Just needed to manually add SIP passwords for all my trunks. All other settings were transferred successfully. Easy peasy. Took 2 minutes.

I just now did the same thing for my OBi110. Made a local backup of the 110 and then restored it to an OBi200. Worked perfectly. Just had to add SIP passwords. I have 4 Voice Gateways and they all restored correctly also (minus passwords).

I did not test connecting to Google Voice as I did everything locally and not thru the OBi portal.

SteveInWA

I've tested this several times over the years, and I just now tested it again with a OBi 200 that I use solely for testing.  The OBi was configured with Callcentric and a handful of settings customizations.

Backup and restore using the local web page interface (as Taoman described above) worked fine.  

I have never gotten the restore via the OBiTALK web portal to work, and it still doesn't work for me today.  I asked Obihai about this some time ago, and it was acknowledged as a bug, but not fixed afaik.

I'm open to anyone proving me wrong.

472scout

I'm researching how to upgrade from a 100 to a 202.

EDIT:

Upgrading from OBI100 to a 202 when you already have a google voice account and phone number.

This is what worked for me:

I logged into OBItalk.com and deleted the SP1 account. Then I deleted the device.  

Then did a factory reset on the OBI100 by pulling the power plug, inserting a paper clip into the bottom, and reinserting the power plug.  Once the light turns red you can remove the paper clip.
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Then I plugged in the 202. Router, phone line, and power cord.  See the instruction sheet that came with your 202.

Back on OBItalk.com I clicked "add device" and followed the prompts.  Make sure the "I want to configure google voice on this device" is checked and it will walk you through everything.

Very easy process, I did not have to enter any passwords.

drgeoff

You cannot find SIP passwords (or GV equivalent) from the OBi device or the Obitalk portal.  And the backups do not contain them.

Look to your account details on the Service Provider's web site.  Not the login password there.  The SIP username and password.

drgeoff

Quote from: 472scout on December 17, 2017, 02:14:01 PM
Thank you.  I will look around on my Google Voice account.  Sorry for the newbie questions.
GV does not use SIP!

If you want to put your existing GV account on your new device you use the method in the tutorial. http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1.  That starts with getting a GV number from scratch so you should be able to go to http://www.obihai.com/tutorial/ngvtutorial2.

drgeoff

Quote from: 472scout on December 17, 2017, 02:25:15 PM
I'm so confused.  That tutorial shows how to get a  google voice number which I already have and want to keep using.
???
See the edit to my previous post.