News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiWiFi - Should I Buy

Started by timbergetter, January 30, 2017, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbergetter

The OBiWiFi usb adapter for the Obi20x seems a bit lightweight considering the Amazon reviews.  Is anyone aware that Obi has addressed this in recent times by releasing a version 2 of this product?  If this is the case can you be sure an Amazon purchase today would produce the good oil?

SteveInWA

Getting the WiFi adapter set up is sometimes flaky, but once it is working, it works just fine.  Most of the complaints are simply because people can't get it initially connected.  There are several ways to overcome that problem.

I can also tell you that it appears that Obihai may be releasing a new, dual-band version at some point.  This is based on the latest firmware adding support for 5Ghz WiFi.  There's no other information as to product availability.

Do you need it right now?  Buy it.  Is this just a convenience issue (you can connect your OBi via Ethernet today, but you think it might be handy or less messy to do away with the Ethernet connection)?  Wait.

timbergetter

Thanks Steve for the heads up.  It's a convenience thing really.  The proper solution would be to extend the Cat6 to the other side of my workshop.  I will stay tuned to a possible future product release though.

azrobert

Do you have a PC with a WiFi connection located by the OBi20x? You can connect your OBi20x to the LAN port on your PC.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12389.msg78932#msg78932
Ignore the stuff about Wireshark.