News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dual-band OBiWiFi adapter now available

Started by SteveInWA, February 08, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

The old 2.4GHz OBiWiFi USB adapter has now been superseded by the new, dual-band 5GHz/2.4GHz OBiWiFi adapter, now available from Amazon (see link on the left side of this page).

I tested one tonight, with my OBi 1022 IP phone.  Performance is excellent on both bands, and I had no trouble setting it up.  The instructions on the box seem to be partially incorrect:  the old method of temporarily connecting to the "OBiWiFi_Setup" SSID should still work for OBi ATAs, but OBi IP phone users need to use the phone's on-screen (LCD) GUI, per the instructions on this page:  http://www.obihai.com/wifi

As before, the alternate way to set up the WiFi adapter is to first (temporarily) connect the device via Ethernet cable, go to your OBiTALK portal, click on the device, get into Expert mode, and then manually enter your SSID and password in the WiFi Settings section.

See my screenshot below for instructions.

SteveInWA

Further test results for curious minds:

I also tested the new adapter with an OBi 200.  There is a "catch 22" that will cause some confusion and/or complaints:

The OBi ATAs need a firmware update to recognize and support the new adapter.  Nearly all OBis currently "in the wild" that have not already been updated by the user will not be unable to connect initially via WiFi.  So, OBis with downlevel firmware will first need to be set up with a hardwired Ethernet connection, and then the WiFi adapter will be recognized and it can use the standard setup procedure.  The alternate procedure I described above can also be used after first updating the device over Ethernet.

After I got it set up, the adapter performed surprisingly well on the 5GHz band.  Using 5GHz, where available, will help prevent problems with competing traffic on the 2.4GHz band, and also interference from nearby microwave ovens.

LTN1

Hi Steve...has WiFi technology changed enough to have a good stable (without noticeable latency or other package loss) WiFi connection to a traditionally wired Ethernet phone connection like the OBi 1022?

I'm thinking of doing a WiFi connection with a wired connected IP phone like the OBi 1022, except my phone only has the ability for wired Ethernet (See http://www.bestdealtalk.com/FortiFone-FON-560i-p/fon-560i.htm).

I am planning on getting a WiFi bridge (not sure if this is the right term) to connect it via client mode for existing devices that require a wired connection. An example of the item can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Wireless-N-Repeater-Network-Router-WiFi-AP-Signal-Range-Extender-Booster/351800465367?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41668%26meid%3D5f6f1c21e98d47c5968f1babba8fae7a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D132060191042

I've read many articles saying that IP phones via WiFi isn't recommended. Do you think that today's WiFi devices coupled with higher internet speeds would likely allow for consistent connections over WiFi? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Update: Sorry Steve for hijacking your thread on the new OBiWiFi USB. No excuses...just pure selfishness and anticipation as I wanted to go WiFi on a similar IP phone. Well...the wireless bridge/repeater I purchased on eBay came in and I was able to hook it up...a few rooms away with walls and on a different floor (from the main WiFi router). The results, so far, are fantastic...no latency and pretty clear...can't tell the difference between a wired Ethernet connection and this WiFi setup.

SteveInWA

Yah, WiFi has improved dramatically since the bad old days.  The original, and remaining issue, is mainly experienced when using WiFi on a mobile phone or tablet.  VoIP was designed before WiFi became widespread.  The G.711 CODEC most often used by VoIP works best with stable, hard-wired Ethernet connections.  It doesn't have a robust way to handle signal quality issues created by WiFi, such as congestion and signal drop-out, since you can't do enough buffering of the data stream to overcome signal quality issues, without also creating unacceptable delays in the VoIP audio.  Fortunately, modern WiFi works great when devices are stationary (e.g. phone sitting still on your desk).  When using it with a portable device (smartphone or tablet), moving around and against your head, signal issues may cause call quality degradation, but again, it's much better than it used to be.