News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

USB Storage Device Not Found - Please connect an USB storage device, wait for 5

Started by ob202_learner, February 10, 2017, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ob202_learner

I'm stuck.  Unable to access a 4 GB USB stick in the OBI202 port.

I can properly log-in from either the LAN side or the WAN side, but as soon as I log in, I get the error message in the title of this post.

I read on another post that "no files on the USB drive" might cause a problem.  So I included some files.  Reformatted to FAT32 and tried again.  Still no success.

So far the Obi202 has been great.  The USB "network storage" was a big plus for me and I'd really like to get that working, too.

SteveInWA

The error means your USB drive wasn't successfully mounted.  Try a different USB drive.  I suggest using Windows Computer Management-->Disk Management, and delete the partition on the USB drive, then create a new active partition, formatted to FAT32.  While you are on Windows, create a directory called obi_share, and a subdirectory under that called user1

I just tested this on an OBi 200 (works the same as on a 202).  I used a 8GB USB drive, formatted as FAT32.  It works fine.

ob202_learner

SteveInWA,

Indeed the USB stick had two partitions, a 200 MB EFI FAT, and an 8GB unknown partition - interesting since it was only a 4 GB stick!  Something was messed up.

I used Windows to delete the second, but the first partition would not delete.  I used Puppy Linux to dd random bytes onto the device, then went back to Windows and partitioned one large FAT32 partition.  Then it worked fine.