News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Delays Forwarding to Callcentric Numbers

Started by LTN1, February 12, 2017, 03:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

Was wondering if anyone who is using GV to forward to a Callcentric number is experiencing delays longer than usual from the point of dialing to the connection? I seem to be experiencing this for the past two days--on and off--and was wondering if there are temporary issues with GV forwarding to CC numbers?

SteveInWA

Yes, I noticed it yesterday and the day before.  I don't know why it's happening, and I haven't had time to test it with other forwarding carriers.  Do you also have a mobile phone number configured as a forwarding phone number on your GV account?  If so, when your GV number is called by some other number, does the mobile phone start ringing when it should, but the CC number has a delay, or what, exactly?

Taoman

LTN1

I've tested the CC number(s) by using a landline to call directly and it works fine...the ring on the receiving end is almost instantaneous. The delay occurs only when it is being forwarded by GV (though chat is quick as usual) or when using Hangouts to call that CC number.

Taoman

Interesting tidbit of information:

I have 2 RingTo lines which use bandwidth.com as their CLEC just as Google Voice does.

When I call directly to my Callcentric DID from either of my 2 RingTo lines I get the same delay as when forwarding from Google Voice.

My guess is this is a routing issue between Bandwidth and Telengy.

SteveInWA

Right.  That is what I meant when I said that there is likely a transit carrier problem.

Calling party -->GV/BW-->assorted transit carriers-->Telengy/CC

BW isn't directly peering with Telengy, as they do with many other carriers, so there are intermediate points of failure with the transit carrier(s).

DarkOptix

The recent updates have made Google voice annoying/unusable. Prior to update calls would come in forward to call centric to maintain caller ID then forward to my Google voice aka home phone. Physical answering machine would pick up on 4th ring.  Recently change are such that calls ring 5 times on call centric before 1 ring on home phone.  Calls going to Google voice have no greeting and do record message but how can anyone know to leave a voice message when it's just silence. I am so frustrated and need to figure out what to do.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DarkOptix on February 12, 2017, 09:30:30 PM
The recent updates have made Google voice annoying/unusable. Prior to update calls would come in forward to call centric to maintain caller ID then forward to my Google voice aka home phone. Physical answering machine would pick up on 4th ring.  Recently change are such that calls ring 5 times on call centric before 1 ring on home phone.  Calls going to Google voice have no greeting and do record message but how can anyone know to leave a voice message when it's just silence. I am so frustrated and need to figure out what to do.

Don't post the same question in two different discussions.

Log onto your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from your phone.

https://www.google.com/voice#inbox

Click the gear icon in the upper right corner to get to Settings.  If you don't see this, then you may be looking at the new Google Voice web page.  In that case, click the three-dot icon on the left to get to the "Legacy" version of the web page.

Go to the Voicemail tab and record a voicemail greeting.  Have Google Voice call you on your Callcentric phone number to do this.  Save the greeting and mark it as the default greeting to use.

On the Phones tab of settings, remove the check mark from your Callcentric number, and then add a checkmark to the Google Chat destination.

On the OBiTALK dashboard, change your OBi settings to have Google Voice be the default number to ring on inbound calls.

Turn OFF your telephone's built in answering machine, or set it to ring for more than 25 seconds before answering.

Pros:  inbound calls will work properly, and use Google Voice voicemail.
Con:  no caller ID name.

DarkOptix

Thanks for the reply. I will try it out tomorrow once family is not sleeping. I will miss the caller ID :(

Wife wants the calls to be answred by in house physical voicemail.

I guess I might have to switch from Google voice to another VOIP eg Phone power. If Google voice will not work as it used to.

SteveInWA

Quote from: DarkOptix on February 12, 2017, 09:45:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try it out tomorrow once family is not sleeping. I will miss the caller ID :(

Wife wants the calls to be answred by in house physical voicemail.

I guess I might have to switch from Google voice to another VOIP eg Phone power. If Google voice will not work as it used to.

I can't help with the spousal acceptability factor, but I can tell you that Google Voice still "works as it used to".  This is an intermediate carrier issue between the two ends (GV and CC).

Since you already have a Callcentric account, you might consider porting your Google Voice number to Callcentric.  Last I read, CC is porting in numbers for free.  You can start with a basic calling plan and change it later, if your monthly calling minutes exceed that plan.

FarmerJoe

Hi all,

With forum search results, I quickly happened on a solution to this problem and am very happy to have the rings going instantly through CC to GV again!  The delay was terrible, and we don't want to lose our 911 service through CC.  Per this topic, https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12282.0 , you just have to check the box in GV setup to forward to Google Chat.  I have no idea why this works, but I toggled it on and off a couple times and there is a 100% correlation between doing this and the problem/fix.

Hope this helps some folks out there.   :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: FarmerJoe on February 14, 2017, 08:35:38 PM
Hi all,

With forum search results, I quickly happened on a solution to this problem and am very happy to have the rings going instantly through CC to GV again!  The delay was terrible, and we don't want to lose our 911 service through CC.  Per this topic, https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12282.0 , you just have to check the box in GV setup to forward to Google Chat.  I have no idea why this works, but I toggled it on and off a couple times and there is a 100% correlation between doing this and the problem/fix.

Hope this helps some folks out there.   :)

Sorry, but that is completely incorrect.  Either forward to Google Chat OR to Callcentric.  They are independent of each other, and turning on forwarding to Chat has no effect whatsoever on calls being forwarded through Callcentric.

If you were having problems forwarding through Callcentric, and you turned on forwarding through Chat, then all you did was make BOTH services ring your phone, and Chat won the race.  The whole point of forwarding through Callcentric is to get caller ID name (CNAM).  If you don't care about that, then you can simply forward through Chat.

DarkOptix

Here is my working solution.  I signed up for PhonePower through the ObiTalk Obi Dashboard --> Approved service Providers --> For Home.  The initial account took 24 hours to activate.

Once the service was active.  I deleted my Obi Device from the Dashboard and then re added it.  This cleared out all Google settings.  All Callcentric setting basically a clean slate.

The setup instructions were very straight forward but I had to call support to find them.  Here is link if anyone would find it useful:

http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_plans#Obihai_Initial_Sync

I added my new phonepower to voice.google.com.

In google voice I checked forward to phonepower and unchecked forward to google chat.

There is no longer a delay with the forwarding like Callcentric was doing and things are ringing and working perfectly.

Using Phonepower does have a charge to it $59 per year but that imo is very fair for and includes E911 which I was previously paying $2 per month for.