News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Building Intercom and OBI202

Started by Ajster1985, October 26, 2021, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajster1985

Hi All - Newbie to this forum, and will try my best to follow all best practices.

I did do a search, but could quite find a post with my exact query.

I have just moved into a building that has an older door entry system. Visitors will dial my unit and a physical phone rings and I can press 9 to trigger the gate unlock and let people in.

This is a hardwired system to my unit, it does not use a land line (I don't have one).

I wanted to see if any of you had a setup where you connect this phone jack to an OBI device and then use Google Voice to forward that inbound call from the intercom system to your cell phone so that you can buzz people in when you're not at home.

I've looked at the OBI 200, 202 and 212 with a USB wifi adapter as the OBI device wouyld not be close to my router.

Can any of you guru's please advise if a) this is possible and b) which OBI device should I really look into buying to make this a success.

Thanks in advance for reading, and sorry if I didnt do a good enough search on the forum if this has been answered before.

You all rock!

Ajster1985

Lavarock7

I am afraid that what you may have is a phone connected to the building that has no smarts, just rings, waits for you to dial a code and hang up. The building people may not appreciate you accessing any wiring, etc.

I thought about a door/gate access system for a neighbor and this is what I came up with...

A gate entry system which used a phone ringing and then sending a touchtone to open the gate and drive in. The building asked for a local phone number at the house which they would automatically call when the button was pressed. You pick up, get a tone or announcement and press a digit to open the gate.

The system I came up with does no security checking, thus it is like them pressing the button almost always opens the door. There could be a time criteria so that it would only work within certain hours.

Using a system such as Voip.Ms or other Voip services, a call comes in, the system looks at the Caller-ID number. If it is the caller-ID for the gate, it sends a touchtone back and hangs up.

If the building asks for your telephone number to call then you would find their Caller-ID and have the calls directed to a VOIP number with the smarts mentioned above.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ostridge

Quote from: Ajster1985 on October 26, 2021, 10:40:09 AM
Hi All - Newbie to this forum, and will try my best to follow all best practices.

I did do a search, but could quite find a post with my exact query.

I have just moved into a building that has an older door entry system. Visitors will dial my unit and a physical phone rings and I can press 9 to trigger the gate unlock and let people in.

This is a hardwired system to my unit, it does not use a land line (I don't have one).

I wanted to see if any of you had a setup where you connect this phone jack to an OBI device and then use Google Voice to forward that inbound call from the intercom system to your cell phone so that you can buzz people in when you're not at home.

I've looked at the OBI 200, 202 and 212 with a USB wifi adapter as the OBI device wouyld not be close to my router.

Can any of you guru's please advise if a) this is possible and b) which OBI device should I really look into buying to make this a success.

Thanks in advance for reading, and sorry if I didnt do a good enough search on the forum if this has been answered before.

You all rock!

Ajster1985
Hi take a look at Nerd Vittles.com on voip-info.org    his article "Taming the Condo Call Box with a Raspberry Pi &  Asterisk – Nerd Vittles   nerdvittles.com"
https://www.voip-info.org/forum/threads/goal-mobile-phone-call-to-open-door-electric-strike.25649/post-157583

And its a vibrant forum that you may just like to join.