News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Out of Area

Started by tomcarp, February 23, 2017, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcarp

Hi, I'm new to this site. I just received my Obi202 Feb.22 and set it up via instruction manual and assigned it a GV number. I enabled the 7 digit dialing for local calls. I put in our area code 916 (Sacramento, CA).I can receive or place a call. However, when I try to call the GV from my cell phone using the 7 digits or 10, the GV phone display says the call is coming from Out of Area. I don't know where to go to correct this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

SteveInWA

Hi Tom:

Do you mean that the caller ID display on the telephone plugged into the OBi says "out of area" AND it also shows the telephone number of the calling party (your cell phone in this case)?  If so, then that's normal behavior.  There are two separate components of caller ID:  the number (CID) and the name (CNAM).  CID is sent along with the call routing data from the called party's telco to yours, so it is easy to display.  CNAM is not sent by the calling party's carrier.  Instead, the called party's carrier has to look it up "on the fly" in commercial databases of numbers matched to names.  Google does not subscribe to these fee-based services, so it doesn't display any CNAM information, just the number.

If that's not what you meant, then please clarify.

tomcarp

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Yes, the phone plugged to the Obi says "Out of the area". Other than that, it works fine (or so I thought), my sister called me and said the audio from my end was choppy, but I can hear her fine. I received another call and caller said the same thing.
I thought I'd try to upgrade the firmware and see if it solves it. I called my sister again after the update ( to 5491?). She said it's 100% better audio from the last call. We'll see. I'll keep observing.
Thanks again Steve. Cheers.