News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simple Dial Plan

Started by stetson, February 24, 2017, 09:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stetson

Hi there,

Long time user, first time configurer.  ;D

Brand new Obi1062.

In Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
10 Digit Dialing is mandatory.
Area codes 587 and 403 are local to my city.

Trying to get a simple dial plan together and hitting a wall.
I would like to dial straight out using 1(areacode)+xxx+xxxxx for all numbers, I like to keep my plans simple. I can cross the line on international calling rules at a later time and when needed.

I am using Ring Central and have to wonder if my pain isn't because of the way they handle the mandatory 10 digit dialing and if there is a requirement for a workaround to that is in the dial plan or a hard to find Ring Central setting. Its just a theory and any info providing clarity on that would be received with the appropriate level of Spock's eyebrow.

I have a 403 number from Ring Central and can dial 403 numbers all day but only if I leave out the 1 and the Area Code, trying to get out to 587's or anything else times out and fails.

I only need SP1 in use for this config.

I hope I offered enough info.
I have certainly learned a lot doing this but it's time to raise the white flag and get moving on to other work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

M.

stetson

azrobert

You said:
QuoteI would like to dial straight out using 1(areacode)+xxx+xxxxx

Then:
QuoteI am using Ring Central and have to wonder if my pain isn't because of the way they handle the mandatory 10 digit dialing

I'm confused. What do you want to dial and how do you want it sent to Ring Central? Do you want to keep the 7 digit dialing? Do you know how to use OBi Expert?

stetson

azrobert,

We have mandatory 10 digit dialing in our area.
You must dial 403 or 587 when calling local numbers.
This is pretty standard so I imagine you are familiar with this.

I am using my Obihai 1062 to connect to Ring Central as my sp1, it is the only sp I want configured at this time. I do not have a POTS line and I am not ready to consider implementing GoogleVoice. I am using Bluetooth to connect to my cell but at this time I would be accepting calls on that system primarily.

Keeping 7 digit dialing is not a priority nor is it desired..

I have been using obiexpert for about a day now and feel I have a good grasp on how it works.

The default config using the online portal didn't seem to bring my dial plans / digit codes to a working state so I headed into ObiExpert and the quest to understand dial plans / digit codes this AM.

Thanks for responding.
M.

azrobert

I still don't understand. Is the mandatory 10 digit dialing a POTS or Ring Central requirement? If it's only a POTS requirement, it's not relevant to this discussion.

Anyway, <1> will add "1" to a dialed number. <1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx will change a 10 digit number to 11 digits. Just remove the <1> to keep it 10 digits

ITSP A DigitMap: (1xxxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx)

The above will keep 11 as 11 digits and 10 digits as 10 digits.

stetson

Fair enough.
That makes sense, as it is a POTS requirement.

stetson

Well this advice certainly makes sense.

It helped me figure this out.
The phone is working as I would expect.

Many thanks !
M.