News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling out from Google Voice through obi 100

Started by paul1149, March 03, 2017, 03:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul1149

I know this has been covered already, but I could not readily find it.

When I first started with the Obi 100, it was easy to call out from the GV website, using the obi100 to place the call on my desk phone. This was perfect.

But at some point something happened and it no longer worked.

Is there a way to get this functionality back? Current on GV I have the phone number that obi 100 handles for me and Google Chat enabled.

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Quote from: paul1149 on March 03, 2017, 03:27:12 PM
I know this has been covered already, but I could not readily find it.

When I first started with the Obi 100, it was easy to call out from the GV website, using the obi100 to place the call on my desk phone. This was perfect.

But at some point something happened and it no longer worked.

Is there a way to get this functionality back? Current on GV I have the phone number that obi 100 handles for me and Google Chat enabled.

Thanks in advance.

That function (click-to-call) is no longer available with Google Voice.  You'd need to add a real, 10-digit telephone number, from a SIP VoIP service provider, as both a SPx on your Obi, and as a forwarding or "linked" phone number on GV.  You'd then have GV call THAT number to bridge your outbound call.

Or, just pick up the phone and make a call directly.   ::)

paul1149

azrobert

See the following thread. Hopefully it will meet your requirements.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12002.0

Edit:
Assuming GV is defined on your SP1, you need SP2 defined as an SIP provider. If SP2 is undefined, you can define a dummy trunk.

paul1149

Thanks for that link. But oy vey... I don't think I'm up to it. I wonder why google nuked click to call. Maybe trying to push Chat.

SteveInWA

Google got rid of click2call, when used with a Google Voice number on an OBi, because it required using its Chat service, which Google discontinued offering a couple years ago (replaced by Google Hangouts).  The only use for chat now is for OBi devices.

Yes, that supposed workaround is not worth the nerd-hassle.  If this is a BFD for you, then simply get an inbound DID (SIP VoIP phone number) and use that as a target instead of Chat.

paul1149

Thanks Steve. Could that second number also be a GV number?

MadisonBrian

Steve and folks,
Can you suggest an easy (and cheap doesn't hurt) provider for a SIP VoIP phone number? I'm not very tech savvy.
Thanks in advance!

MadisonBrian

It worked! Thanks again Steve! Much appreciated.  ;D ;D