News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cordless Handset for Obi1032?

Started by SixDegrees, March 14, 2017, 12:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixDegrees

We have purchased obi1032 desk phones for use with Dialpad. I would like to use a cordless handset with  my phone (preferably handset over headset in this case) to be able to answer the phone from other rooms in the office. I found a post saying any DECT handset will work but I have been shopping around and am still a very lost on what to buy as many seem to have a bunch of features (primarily answering machines) that I don't need and I can't tell if they have something that would plug into the Phone port as said would be needed.  I simply want a cordless handset that will work with my phone. Could anyone point me in the direction of the right thing to buy?

Thanks in advance!!

SteveInWA

The 1032 is a standalone IP phone.  It has no capability to add handsets, cordless or otherwise.

You'd need to buy a OBi 200 and plug a standard DECT 6.0 cordless phone system into the 200.

SixDegrees

Ok just to be clear, I am not wanting to expand the unit, but rather just unplug the corded handset part and use a cordless option (headset or otherwise) instead.  Is that possible?

SteveInWA

Well, that is the complete opposite of what you said the first time, so now I have no idea what you really mean.

Let's try this:  a "handset" is the thing you hold in your HAND.  It has a speaker and a microphone on each end.  A "headset" is the thing you put on your HEAD.  It has one or two ear cushions with speakers inside, and a microphone on a boom.

The OBi 1032 has a standard handset, cord and jack, known as a RJ-9 jack.  It also has a RJ-9 jack on the bottom of the phone that is intended to be used with a professional-class headset.  These headsets typically have a small base with an amplifier inside.  They plug into the RJ-9 jack on the phone.  Examples are at hellodirect.com.  You could also buy a cordless headset with its base, that uses DECT 6.0.  Plantronics and GN Netcom/Jabra are the two leading brands, and both work with the 1032.  Again, see examples at hellodirect.com.

The OBi 1032 also has a standard, 3.5mm "phone" jack on the right side.  It's the same type of jack used on most cell phones, and you could plug in a cell phone headset.

You can't buy a typical DECT 6.0 cordless telephone system (the kind with one or more cordless handsets) and use it with the 1032.

SteveInWA

For the sake of completeness, the 1032 also has two other options:

You can buy the optional OBiWiFi dongle, and then pair the 1032 with a typical Bluetooth headset, such as those used with cell phones.  The range and sound quality won't be as good as using a DECT 6.0 headset.

A recent firmware update to the 10x2 phones allow their built-in USB ports to be used with standard USB-attached (corded) headsets, such as those used by PC gamers.