News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trusted Caller setup

Started by cheme2001, March 07, 2017, 09:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheme2001

I want to know if this is possible and how to set it up, here is my situation:

I have a Obi200 setup with a GV (GV1) on SP1.  
My parents (in another household in my city/areacode) are unable to call long distance on their landline.
I want my parents to be able to call my Obi200 and utilize the long distance calling.

What is the easiest way to set this up for all parties?  My parents are very technologically illiterate and simplicity is the key.

Which makes most sense:

Scenario 1:
-Setup new GV (GV2) account with my area code as SP2 on my Obi200
-Add my parents' phone as Trusted Caller & Circle of Trust to SP2
-My parents call my GV2 on SP2, dial 2 to initiate another call
-Parents dial other #

Scenario 2:
-Add my parents' phone as Trusted Caller & Circle of Trust to SP1
-My parents call my GV1 on SP1
-Parents dial 1 to talk to me, or dial 2 to initiate another call
-If parents dial 2, parents dial another #

For the above two scenarios, I have some side questions:
Does having two SPs setup allow both SP1 and SP2 to both be used in parallel?
1.) what happens if I'm on a call (using SP1) and my parents try to initiate the above?  Will it go through?
2.) what happens if my parents are already in mid-call on one of the above scenarios and I get a call on SP1 or I need to make a call on SP1?

Thank you in advance.

azrobert

GV only allows 2 active simultaneous calls on a single trunk. An inbound or outbound call is considered 1 active call, so when you parents call in and out on a single trunk they are using the max allowed simultaneous calls. If you try to make a call, it will fail. If you are on a call, your parent's inbound call will succeed, but the outbound call will fail. SP1 and SP2 can be used in parallel. Your scenario 1 is the way to go.

Circle of Trust is for calls over the OBiTalk network and is irrelevant to what you're doing. I believe when you add a number to the Trusted Callers, it applies to all trunks. I suggest using OBi Expert to add the code only for SP2. This way they can call you on SP1 without getting sent to the Auto Attendant.

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{18005551212:aa},{ph}

Change 18005551212 to your parent's phone number.

cheme2001

Thanks for the reply.  I will try Scenario 1.

When I go into the OBi Expert Config to add that code for SP2....
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:

ph   (is the only thing I see, with "OBiTALK Settings" checked.)

It won't allow me to change that X_InboundCallRoute value field.  I tried IE and Chrome.  Is there a step by step instruction somewhere?  

azrobert

You need to unchecked both boxes to the right of the Value.

cheme2001

Cool, thanks.... one more thing:

So let me understand what you are saying when you were explaining everything above if I created a setup a new GV2 acct:

Scenario 1 (I'm currently using the line on SP1)
-Parents call SP2, it will work, they press 2, Outbound call fails

Scenario 2 (Parents are using my line via SP2)
-I pick up the phone and try to make a call using SP1, it will fail
-what happens if someone calls me on SP1?  Will it Obi200 phone ring? or will my parents hear a call waiting beep?

Also, when my parents try to make a call via SP2, will the caller ID show up as SP1 (Phone 1) or SP2?  It seems like SP1 shows up as the caller ID when I tried to make a call.  Any way to make it show SP2 when my parents are trying to make a call?

azrobert

You only get failures when both of you are only using SP1. When you have SP1 and SP2 the calls won't have a conflict, 2 active calls on each line. The people your parents call will see the SP2 CallerID.

There is another way you can do this without using your OBi200. Setup the 2nd GV account with your parents phone number as a forwarding number. They would call the 2nd GV number and get a prompt. If I remember correctly, you select 2 to make a new call.

You have to make some changes for the above to work. Google has made changes recently and I haven't setup an account with the new format. When I sign into my account I have the new format. I had to switch to the legacy format. You find the forwarding numbers under Settings. Edit your parents number and click "Show Advanced Settings". Click Yes and No Pin under Voicemail Access. Save.

Be aware that there is a different prompt when there is a voice mail message.

azrobert

I forgot you have to change the Primary Line on the Auto Attendant to SP2.

Voice Services -> Auto Attendant -> PrimaryLine: SP2 Service