News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Connect to OBI 200 from iPhone

Started by Howard687, March 09, 2017, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard687

Since OBION is dead, does anyone know how to access the OBI attendant from an iphone (you can do this from a laptop or desktop using Chrome or Firefox and Obitalk and the "Call OBI" feature)?

azrobert

See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.msg80303#msg80303

Instead of an IP Phone, install a softphone on your iPhone. Zoiper is a free softphone.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on March 09, 2017, 03:01:50 PM
See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12492.msg80303#msg80303

Instead of an IP Phone, install a softphone on your iPhone.

I'm the first to admit I'm clueless about this so I'm sure I'm missing something. Doesn't your link assume the IP Phone is on the internal network? In order for this to work on an iPhone wouldn't the OBi200 need to have a public IP address?

azrobert

The OP said it can be done from a desktop or laptop. I assumed these are on his local network and also assumed the iPhone was on the local network.

You are correct that the Public IP address has to be used outside his local network and port forwarding would have to be setup. Also Symmetric RTP must be enabled. Forwarding inbound calls to the iPhone would have to be done a different way. I tested this a long time ago with an Android on WiFi and didn't test on a cell network.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D General -> SymmetricRTPEnable: Checked

Another way is just call your service provider from the iPhone and get directed to the Auto Attendant:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1?8005551212):aa},{ph}

Replace 8005551212 with your iPhone CallerID
I coded the above to work with 10 or 11 digit CallerIDs

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on March 09, 2017, 04:25:40 PM

Another way is just call your service provider from the iPhone and get directed to the Auto Attendant:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1?8005551212):aa},{ph}

Replace 8005551212 with your iPhone CallerID
I coded the above to work with 10 or 11 digit CallerIDs

Thanks. This is more along the lines of what I "assumed" the OP was after. Although I think trying this via cellular data would be problematic.

Howard687

Actually this is all quite informative.  You are right that I would want to be able to call the OBI 200 attendant when I am NOT on my local network (containing the OBI).

I don't have to be on a local network to do this with, e.g., my Mac.  OBI pointed me to using Chrome (which supports webRTC), logging into my OBITalk dashboard and clicking on Call OBI.  Works great. The problem is that none of the iOS browsers, including Chrome, support WebRTC; hence "Call OBI" does not work.

Below you mention calling my service provider - since my provider is GV, I am not sure how to do this.

azrobert

Quote from: Howard687 on March 09, 2017, 04:44:21 PM
Below you mention calling my service provider - since my provider is GV, I am not sure how to do this.

I assume you don't want to use your cell minutes to call GV. The following is my last idea.

1) Create a free IP Freedom account 17771234567 at Callcentric
2) Create a sub-account 17771234567101 (extension 101)
3) On your iPhone download and install a softphone (Zoiper?)
4) Add credentials for extension 101 from step 2 to the softphone
5) Setup SP4 (Callcentric) with the credentials from step 1
6) Under Voice Services, SP4 Service,
X_InboundCallRoute= {101>17771234567:aa},{ph}

Replace 17771234567 with your Callcentric account number.
To call into your OBi200's AA, dial 100 (100 is the default extension for your main Callcentric account) from the softphone.

https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/ip_freedom/

Howard687

This is very helpful.  I will give it a try when I return in a week and report how it went.

Howard687

Hello Again - I just returned and am trying to implement the suggested solution.  I set up the callcentric account with extension & password (BTW, why is the extension needed) with no problems.  However, when I download Zoiper (seems to be called SIPCO), I am not following the registration process.  E.g. one of the items asked for is OTP and I do not know what that is?

azrobert

SIPCO is a different softphone. I have an iPad Mini and when I searched the App Store for Zoiper, the only hit was SIPCO. I found Zoiper searching with a Browser.

Install and start Zoiper
Add an account
You have a provider
Select provider from list
Select Callcentric
Add account number to User Name and Auth Username
Add Password
I didn't define Caller ID
Tap Register

You need to call the OBi from Zoiper. You register the OBi as extension 100 (default for the main account). You register Zoiper as extension 101. You call the OBi by dialing 100 from Zoiper. You might get it to work by using 1 extension for both the OBi and Zoiper, but why screw around when it only takes a minute to define a 2nd extension.

Howard687

I completed all of the steps so that the softphone with my callcentric number, calls my OBI and connects me to the landline phone connect to the OBI. My next step was to follow your instructions to modify the X_InboundCallRoute parameter for SP4, but  (I am obviously missing something), I do not seem able (allowed) to edit that field from my OBITalk portal/expert configuration.  Is there some global setting that is preventing me from editing?

On a more general subject:  I would really like to learn a bit more about what I am doing and why it work.  I have perused the detailed Admin guide, but that is almost too much detail to start - is there some kind of more introductory tutorial out there?

thanks again - i have almost completed this configuration setup

drgeoff

Quote from: Howard687 on March 24, 2017, 09:31:35 AMMy next step was to follow your instructions to modify the X_InboundCallRoute parameter for SP4, but  (I am obviously missing something), I do not seem able (allowed) to edit that field from my OBITalk portal/expert configuration.  Is there some global setting that is preventing me from editing?

On a more general subject:  I would really like to learn a bit more about what I am doing and why it work.  I have perused the detailed Admin guide, but that is almost too much detail to start - is there some kind of more introductory tutorial out there?
1.  You need to have both boxes at the right hand end of the line unticked before you can edit a field.  When done click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.

2.  There is a tutorial. 'OBi-DigitMap Call Route Tutorial' on the Docs and Downloads page - http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads

azrobert

Quote from: Howard687 on March 24, 2017, 09:31:35 AM
On a more general subject:  I would really like to learn a bit more about what I am doing and why it work. 

Callcentric allows a user to define a separate extension for multiple devices. An extension can then call another device by dialing its extension number. You defined your OBi200 SP4 as extension 100 and Zoiper as extension 101. You can now dial 100 from Zoiper to contact your OBi200, but instead of ringing the phone the rule in the inbound route will direct the call to the Auto Attendant. You will be asked what you want to do. You will dial a "2" for "Make a New Call" and then you will enter the outbound number followed by a "#".

Define SP4 for Callcentric

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer: callcentric.com
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{101>17771234567:aa},{ph}
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: 17771234567
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthPassword: CC main account PW
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D

Replace 17771234567 with CC account number

Howard687

Thank you. Thank you.  This all seems to be working as expected.  Now i'll do some more reading in hopes of understanding a bit more of what you all helped me configure.

Howard687

Again Thanks.  I read the tutorial, and understand the X_InboundCallRouter rules provided.  I have added a '102' extension and registered that via Zoiper on a different iPhone.  Now I would also want a call from 102 (2nd iPhone) to 100 (OBI 200) to be answered by the auto attendant.  I could insert a new rule

{102>17771234567:aa}

but, from what I understood from the tutorial, this could be a single rule that looks like

{10[12] >17771234567:aa}

Is this correct?

azrobert

Quote from: Howard687 on March 26, 2017, 09:53:06 PM
Is this correct?

Close, but no. The way you coded the rule "10[12]" it treated as a literal, so you are checking for 6 characters, not 3. When you enclose the argument within parentheses, it becomes a DigitMap and the special characters act the way you intended.
{(10[12])>17771234567:aa}

It seems you want to learn about this device, so I'll give you some more info. These rules are for security and prevent hackers from accessing you OBi200. These hackers are called SIP Scanners and they make SIP calls to your Public IP address. You really don't need both arguments and can use the following rule, so you will accept only calls from your Callcentric account:
{>17771234567:aa}

Now any extension from your Callcentric account will be routed to the AA.

There is another way you block hackers:
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly: Checked

The OBi200 firmware will block any call not from your Callcentric account.

Now you can use this rule: {aa}