News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 lines in separate rooms

Started by chester, March 09, 2017, 06:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

I have Obi202, but I want each phone line to be connected to phones that are in separate rooms. Did I buy the wrong product? Is there an easy way to do that with the Obi202?

azrobert

Is your home wired for telephone service? If it is, it should be setup for 2 lines.

The OBi202 Phone Port 1 supports both lines. The inner 2 contacts are Line1 and the outer 2, Line2. Just run a 4 wire cable from the OBi202 Phone Port 1 to any phone jack. Now your whole house is wired for both lines. If you plug a phone into another jack, it will be line 1. To get Line 2 you need a splitter or if you know what you are doing, you can re-wire the jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L1-L2-L1-L2-multi-2-line-cord-wire-Phone-Telephone-number-Splitter-Adapter-SHdis-/122386167708?hash=item1c7ec8b79c:g:0G4AAMXQCgpRz1wL

Make sure the house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company. Live wires can fry your OBi202. Cancelling your telephone service is not good enough, the wires can still be live.

LTN1

Quote from: azrobert on March 09, 2017, 08:35:16 PM
Is your home wired for telephone service? If it is, it should be setup for 2 lines.

The OBi202 Phone Port 1 supports both lines. The inner 2 contacts are Line1 and the outer 2, Line2. Just run a 4 wire cable from the OBi202 Phone Port 1 to any phone jack. Now your whole house is wired for both lines. If you plug a phone into another jack, it will be line 1. To get Line 2 you need a splitter or if you know what you are doing, you can re-wire the jack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L1-L2-L1-L2-multi-2-line-cord-wire-Phone-Telephone-number-Splitter-Adapter-SHdis-/122386167708?hash=item1c7ec8b79c:g:0G4AAMXQCgpRz1wL

Make sure the house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company. Live wires can fry your OBi202. Cancelling your telephone service is not good enough, the wires can still be live.

Everything advised up to the point of "Make sure the house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company. Live wires can fry your OBi202. Cancelling your telephone service is not good enough, the wires can still be live." is simple enough. The last point may be simple to those tech-minded but for many of these OBi purchasers who don't even know why their OBi isn't ringing (their phone ringer is switched off or chat not checked), not an easy advice.

But if the OP finds it easy, I have detailed PDF instructions from 2015 that I downloaded--with pictures--so it can't be easier than that--can it? (That's why for most of these new OBi users, the OBiWiFi is the easiest option--not that there aren't other solutions)