News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200-Uverse setup help

Started by SteffanyC, March 19, 2017, 06:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteffanyC

Hello and thank you in advance for any help.

I am trying to set up a new OBi200.  My service provider is ATT U-verse and my modem/router is the NVG510.

I have the Obi200 device plugged in and connected at directed by the Quick Start Guide.  I only have lights showing Power and Internet Activity indicators.  I do not have a Phone line.

I have gone into my router and set up all the ports the FAQ has suggested.
Service            Ports                            Device    
Obi200 tcp            TCP/UDP: 6800           OBi200    
Obi200 tcp-2    TCP/UDP: 5222-5223   OBi200    
Obi200 udp    TCP/UDP: 5060-5061   OBi200    
Obi200 udp-2    TCP/UDP: 10000-11000   OBi200    
Obi200 udp-3    TCP/UDP: 16600-16998   OBi200    
Obi200 udp-4    TCP/UDP: 19305           OBi200

I have also turned on the IP Passthrough

I also called ATT and asked them to open my ports.  I checked with an online port checker and all ATT did was unhide them, they still do not appear to be open.

I am crossing my fingers that I did these things correctly.  But, I still have no Phone line.

I have signed into obitalk.com and tried to connect my device, but that has not worked either.  I did notice that the SoftPhone number in my dashboard does not match the one on the bottom of my Obi200.

I've reset both my router and the Obi200 multiple times and nothing is really helping me get any further.

I have tried to go through the trouble shooter, but I do not know where/how to open the DMZ??  that is where I ended the troubleshooting.

I hope this is enough detain for you to get an idea of where my install is.

Thank you again,  Steffany

Radioman991

Not much help, but I also have uverse internet. I had zero issues setting up my 200 or my 1062 IP phone, or my Cisco phone I previously used

I did not need to open anything in the modem.

I have more drama with my security cams.

My modem is the NVG589....So there could be differences I am unaware of.

I would note I previously had Uverse voice...which I jettisoned for the OBi200.  If there may have been some invisible ports open, I am unaware.  I have had no issues with uverse or my OBi200 since.  They have been in service for at least 3 months.

SteveInWA

You shouldn't have do do any of that port-opening or DMZ stuff.  ISPs typically do not block services or ports.

Plug in a known-good/working telephone into the OBi's telephone jack.  Pick up the phone.  Do you get a dial tone?  You should, even with the Ethernet cable disconnected.  If you do, then key in ***8 then 1 to restore the unit to factory default.  Give it time to reboot.  Then, pick up the phone and key in ***1.  It should read back its IP address (192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x).  Does it do that?  If not, report back what happened.

SteffanyC

Thank you Steve!!

My phone was working a month ago when I disconnected it from ATT (yes, I too am trying to cut the monthly drip of funds going to ATT) so I assume they are working telephones.  I will take it to work tomorrow with me and see if they work on our landline there.

But for now...

1.  I just picked up the phone I do not get a signal at all.

2.  I unplugged the internet jack and I still do not get a signal.

3.  I tried to dial the ***8 with both of the above scenarios and there was no connection.

4.  I tried to plug in my fax machine just to see if I would hear a dial tone and there was none.

I will go ahead and make sure my phone work tomorrow and check back in.

I do know my Obi200's ip address as it shows up on router as a connected devise if that is of any help?  And I have also reset both to factory setting today.

Thank you again!  Steffany

SteveInWA

OK, thanks.  Just to be clear:  if you disconnect the power and Ethernet connectors from the OBi, and leave the telephone plugged in, and then plug in just the power supply (do NOT plug in the Ethernet connector), and let it boot up, you should hear a dial tone in the phone handset or speaker.  If you don't, then either the telephone, its cord or plugs, or the OBi, are defective.

You  can try a hardware reset instead of the ***8 reset.  Doing this takes a bit of manual dexterity, or a friend to supply a third hand.

• Unplug the power and Ethernet connectors from the OBi.
  • Straighten a paper clip, and turn the OBi over, so that you are looking at the bottom.  Find the small, round "pimple" with a hole in it.  This is the access to the reset switch.  Insert the paper clip and gently depress the button,
    and keep it depressed while you plug in the power.  Continue holding the reset switch down for at least 10 seconds,
    then release it.
  • Allow time for the OBi to factory reset and reboot (until the LEDs settle down).

After doing the hardware reset, you should hear a dial tone when taking the phone off hook, and the Phone LED should slowly blink on and off.

SteffanyC

Results...

To your first instructions, I was listening to my phone while I only plugged in the power cord (not the Ethernet cord).  After a few seconds, I heard a clicking sound in the handset of my phone (like when you have been on hold for 30 minutes and you get hung up on), but no tone.  The Phone line blinked a few times then stopped blinking.

For the manual factor reset, I was able to do this, and was encouraged to see the Phone line indicator blink (14 times) but still no dial tone.  I did this step twice, the second time to count the blinks.

SteveInWA

Where and when did you buy the OBi?

SteffanyC

I bought if off eBay about 2 weeks ago.  I might be glad that the seller has a 30 day return policy??

SteveInWA

Well, that explains it.  Send it back and give the seller a bad review for selling defective junk.

Buy a new one from Amazon or Newegg.

SteveInWA

Oh, and for the sake of security, remove all those firewall customizations you did.  They are unnecessary, as is placing the device in the DMZ.

SteffanyC

Thank you so much Steve for your time and efforts!!

Jhaveri

I am still unable to connect - ever after disabling firewall - I feel like after I switched to att uverse - situation has gone irritating.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Jhaveri on April 08, 2017, 08:50:57 PM
I am still unable to connect - ever after disabling firewall - I feel like after I switched to att uverse - situation has gone irritating.

Start your own, dedicated discussion, instead of piggy-backing on somebody else's issue.  Describe your issue in a lot more detail than just being irritated; we're not mind-readers.