News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai Setup right but still not working.

Started by Moonis, March 22, 2017, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonis

Hi, I just bought an Obihai200 and I have been having problems installing it. I did everything that the setup process shows and have a solid green light on power and internet with small flickers here and there. When I pick up my phone I don't hear a dial tone and can't call the test number. Can someone help me please? Thank you.

LTN1

Do you have another analog phone that you can try plugging into the OBi device? Or, if you still currently have a POTS line, can you plug that analog phone into your POTS line to see if you get a dial tone?

In the past, some users have gone through a series of troubleshooting, only to find out that the problem was with their analog phone. Let's try to rule that out first.

Moonis

Quote from: LTN1 on March 22, 2017, 04:36:32 PM
Do you have another analog phone that you can try plugging into the OBi device? Or, if you still currently have a POTS line, can you plug that analog phone into your POTS line to see if you get a dial tone?

In the past, some users have gone through a series of troubleshooting, only to find out that the problem was with their analog phone. Let's try to rule that out first.

I've tried it with two phones so far. The first is a cordless phone which says "check tel line" on the screen. The second one was a trimline corded phone. I didn't hear a dial tone on both of them.

LTN1

Is the OBi200 that you purchased new? Where did you buy it from? (Just trying to make sure you didn't get a defective used one from somewhere on eBay)

Perhaps if you could give a detailed step by step of what you did to set up the OBi (don't leave out details--as they are important), a second set of eyes can see if there were any missing steps.

Moonis

Quote from: LTN1 on March 22, 2017, 06:14:52 PM
Is the OBi200 that you purchased new? Where did you buy it from? (Just trying to make sure you didn't get a defective used one from somewhere on eBay)

Perhaps if you could give a detailed step by step of what you did to set up the OBi (don't leave out details--as they are important), a second set of eyes can see if there were any missing steps.

So I bought the obihai200 from ebay but it came sealed within the packaging with it never being used. I also looked at other people that bought the same thing from the same person and they had no problems at all.

So first I plugged in the ethernet and phone wire to the Obihai and phone then the power cable last.

SteveInWA

Send it back.  There's a reason it was for sale on eBay.

To be clear:  there is no way for any individual eBay seller to get factory-new, sealed products from Obihai and sell them for less than the official retail channel.

Buy one from one of the official retailers:  Amazon.com, Newegg.com, Fry's etc.  You'll get a working unit with a one-year warranty.

azrobert

You can try a factory reset.
Disconnect the OBi200 from your router.
There is a reset button access hole on the bottom of the OBi200.
It's a different than the vent holes.
Press and hold the reset button with a paper clip until the OBi200 starts to reboot.
The lights will start flashing.

Moonis

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 22, 2017, 06:58:36 PM

To be clear:  there is no way for any individual eBay seller to get factory-new, sealed products from Obihai and sell them for less than the official retail channel.

Buy one from one of the official retailers:  Amazon.com, Newegg.com, Fry's etc.  You'll get a working unit with a one-year warranty.

Sorry I gave you the wrong information. I bought it from Amazon from this buyer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUV7C9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moonis

Quote from: azrobert on March 22, 2017, 07:07:42 PM
You can try a factory reset.
Disconnect the OBi200 from your router.
There is a reset button access hole on the bottom of the OBi200.
It's a different than the vent holes.
Press and hold the reset button with a paper clip until the OBi200 starts to reboot.
The lights will start flashing.

I will try this once I get home and hopefully it works out. Thank you!

azrobert

If the reset doesn't work you can try upgrading the firmware. This will only work if your current firmware was corrupted which is a low probability, but it can't hurt to try.

Download current firmware. OBi200 and OBi202 use the same firmware.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5589.fw

Enter the IP address of the OBi200 into a browser and hit Enter. The default username and password are both "admin". On the left column click System Management/Device Update. Under Firmware Update use browse to find the downloaded firmware and click Update.

The solid green 1st LED indicates the OBi200 was assigned an IP address and is operational. You normally would dial "***1" to get the IP address, but obviously you can't do this. You will have to log into your router to get the IP address.

Moonis

Quote from: azrobert on March 23, 2017, 12:23:03 PM
If the reset doesn't work you can try upgrading the firmware. This will only work if your current firmware was corrupted which is a low probability, but it can't hurt to try.

Download current firmware. OBi200 and OBi202 use the same firmware.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5589.fw

Enter the IP address of the OBi200 into a browser and hit Enter. The default username and password are both "admin". On the left column click System Management/Device Update. Under Firmware Update use browse to find the downloaded firmware and click Update.

The solid green 1st LED indicates the OBi200 was assigned an IP address and is operational. You normally would dial "***1" to get the IP address, but obviously you can't do this. You will have to log into your router to get the IP address.

Just tried it and it didn't work. After I clicked update the power light started flashing red. Once that was done it went back to green as well as the internet light. The phone light flashed green couple of times then it went blank.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Moonis on March 23, 2017, 11:02:26 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 22, 2017, 06:58:36 PM

Sorry I gave you the wrong information. I bought it from Amazon from this buyer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUV7C9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought the obihai200 from ebay but it came sealed within the packaging with it never being used. I also looked at other people that bought the same thing from the same person and they had no problems at all.

Hunh?  You wrote a very specific post, stating that you bought it from "I also looked at other people that bought the same thing from the same person and they had no problems at all."  You were either hopelessly confused, or else I find it hard to believe your change of mind about where it came from.

In any case, if you did buy it new/sealed from an authorized retailer, then contact Obihai for support.