News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice message stopped forwarding to email

Started by Louis-in-TX, March 27, 2017, 06:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis-in-TX

Since sometime last week, messages left on my OBI connected GV account, no longer get forwarded to email?  This has been working for years.  I do not have a cell number connected to this account, only CHAT to the OBI 200.  I checked the options and it is set to forward the GV message to email.  I de-selected and re-selected it, but it still does not work.

SteveInWA

I just tested it, and it works fine for me, forwarding to my gmail account within seconds after leaving a message.

Perhaps your email account is blocking the notes as spam, or there is some other issue with the email address you are using.  If you have a non-gmail address, try adding it to Google Voice and test forwarding to that address.  If you already ARE using a non-gmail address, then switch to a gmail address.

Create an entry in your email account's contacts list for Google Voicemail, with an email address of "voice-noreply@google.com" as one way to try to force your account to not treat the notes as spam.

Louis-in-TX

Thanks for your reply.  I actually have 2 gmail accounts set up just for GV for the 2 OBI 200's that I have.  They are set up exactly the same.  I only use these Gmail accounts for this purpose.  I have setup forwarding of emails from those accounts to my regular Gmail account.

Only 1 of the 2 GV accounts is not fowarding voice mails to email (note this is the same Gmail that the GV is associated with.  I don't think you can select another).  Text messages sent to the same number do get forwarded to email.

The reason that this is important is that it is the only way one has of knowing that a voice mail has been left via GV.

I am perplexed by this.  I only access these Gmail accounts to retrieve voicemail, so I am very confident that I have not changed anything in the last week or so.

SteveInWA

Call your Google Voice number from some other number (NOT the other Google Voice number) and leave a voicemail message.  Talk for at least 10 seconds so it isn't interpreted as a hang-up call.

Log into the correct Google account that hosts that Google Voice number, and go to the "Legacy" version of the Google Voice web interface.  Look at the History tab.  Is the call there?  If not, you're looking at the wrong account.  If it is there, look at the voicemails tab.  Is the voicemail message there?  If so, open a new browser tab and go to Gmail.  Make darn sure you are looking at the SAME Google account that just received the message.  Look in the inbox and spam folders, or look in the "All mail" folder (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#all) to see if the note is there.

If you find the note, then you have no problem.  If you don't find the note, then go back to Google Voice, Legacy mode, on this page:  https://www.google.com/voice/b/0#voicemailsettings

Click the "add a new email address" link and enter whatever non-Gmail email account you might have (any other email provider except Gmail).  Test forwarding to that email address.

Louis-in-TX

Thanks for staying with me.  I followed your steps.  The voice message appears successfully in the GV legacy view, but does not get forwarded to the email of the associated account (checked in "all mail").  Screen clip#1 attached shows it should be forwarding to the linked account.

I tried clicking on the button "add a new email address" which I thought would allow me to add one in additional to the default (linked account), but I got the screen shown in clip #2?  Not sure what to do with that.

I was using a OBI100 with this account a few weeks ago and swapped to OBI 200.  I am not sure, but I think I have received emails since then.

Louis

Louis-in-TX

Well, color me "slow".  Messages were going into SPAM folder for some reason.  Working OK now.

SteveInWA

"We're not laughing AT you, we're laughing WITH you."  I knew it had to be something like that.  Glad you figured it out.

Here's your ceremonial dope slap.