News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 Defective Line Port 2

Started by KevKan, March 27, 2017, 10:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevKan

No dial tone on line port 2 and LED for this port continually flashes green, as if phone is off hook, even with the phone disconnected.  Same condition after restart.  Does anyone think resetting the device might clear this problem or is the port toast? SP1 and SP2 both work.

Am I correct, when I think the Configuration Backup file from this device could be imported to a new/different Obi 202.   

restamp

1.  I'd try a reset.  Another possibility:  If you have a plug in the ph1 jack, remove it and see if the problem with ph2 goes away.  (The outer leads of ph1 are tied to the inner leads of ph2, so if they are somehow shorted, it will make ph2 look off-hook.)

2. The word on the street here is that Config Backup files can indeed be transported between like devices.

Good luck with your 202!

KevKan

Just thought I would share the outcome.

Line 2 was in fact toast :( but Line 1 was okay, as can be seen in the Phone Port Status picture.  I suspect lightning hit the Line 2 pair in a cable that runs underground, in conduit, to a detached garage.  When I opened the unit I didn't see any visible damage and the fuses on line 2 both checked good. 

At the time, I didn't have any protection on the lines where they exit and enter the buildings.   I have since acquired a couple of MC04 Surgegate Analog Station Set & Central Office Line Protectors to hopefully protect the new Obi202.

Any comments on the continued use of the old unit as single port device?  Should I be concerned about the continuous loop current and voltages shown for Port 2 due it's permanent off hook state? 

SteveInWA

It looks like the Line 2 port was/is shorted out.  Do you get this reading even when no telephone cord is plugged into either of the two Phone jacks on the OBi?  If so, look closely (with a magnifying glass if necessary) at the gold pins on the jacks, and confirm that they aren't bent and touching each other.  If not, and if you have already performed a hardware factory reset, then Line 2 is indeed toasted.  This is indicated by the tip/ring voltage being zero, while the VBAT is 14.

It shouldn't cause a problem for the other line.  Unless you are concerned about a few pennies being needlessly spent for the ~1/4 watt of electricity used, then I wouldn't worry about it.

KevKan

Thanks Steve,

Phone Port Status remained the same with no phones connected.  I checked the pins in RJ11 jacks again, with magnification, and found none of them to be bent and all were properly aligned for their individual slots.

To me, everything indicates the permanent short, between tip & ring, is clearly on the ObiHai202 board.

Thanks for the help and I think I can afford the expense of the wasted power. ;)