News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 want to use my old nettalk for emergency service

Started by AlanL, April 03, 2017, 12:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanL

I haven't tried this yet, since I don't want to mess up anything. I've had the Obi202 for a day now using Google voice with no problems.  There are 2 phone ports/receptacles on the device.  Right now my phones are connected to the line 1 input and nothing is in the line 2.  Am coming from Nettalk where the service had become unacceptable but of course there was 911 service with it.  At present there is no 911 service (with the Google voice line). 

Would like to connect my Nettalk device (voip) to the lan port on the obi202 and connect the phone line from the Nettalk device to line 2 of the obi 202, then change the web portal to use line 2 for emergency service.   Wondering whether this would work or could it mess anything up?   

Not really clear if the line 2 input on the obi202 is for a phone device or a second line, or either.

drgeoff

Both Phone1 and Phone2 jacks on an OBi202 are for phones only.  If the jack on the Nettalk is for a phone, then what you are proposing will not work.

Adding an OBiLINE to your OBi202 would likely be the most promising route.  I don't know anything about Nettalks so cannot advise further.

AlanL

Thanks for the info.  I see what you mean about the Obiline. But in this situation where I'd only be using it to salvage the 911 capability of my old provider for the balance of a year, it wouldn't seem to be worth it for that alone. 

And am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't return the Obi202 and get the less expensive 200.  I seem to have misunderstood the capability of the 202's extra phone jack (which I assumed was for an additional line). It seems that second jack is only useful for a fax machine on a separate (GV) phone line.  Even with the Obi200 I can have a second GV # connected to the same phone (if I'm understanding correctly) and can  still use a fax machine (just not with it's own phone #)

azrobert

Quote from: AlanL on April 03, 2017, 03:03:18 PM
Even with the Obi200 I can have a second GV # connected to the same phone (if I'm understanding correctly) and can  still use a fax machine (just not with it's own phone #)

You can use the 2nd GV number exclusively for the Fax on an OBi200. Connect the phone and fax to the OBi200's phone port. You need to dial a prefix to send an outbound fax to the 2nd GV number then you can use distinctive ring so the fax will only answer calls from GV#2. You can't send or receive a fax while on an active call on GV#1, so you might reconsider replacing the OBi202.

AlanL

Thanks.  Yeah, you're right. I looked at the comparison listing on Amazon for the 200 and 202 and see that the 202 allows 2 simultaneous calls where the 200 does not.  There's also the extra ip jack on the 202 (which I'm using for the Nettalk device hooked up to a separate phone).  So, all things considered, I'll probably keep the OBI202.