News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

800 dialing via TF Gateways and OBI Voice Gateways not working?

Started by mo832, April 14, 2017, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

****** PLEASE NOTE THE TOPIC TITLE HAS BEEN UPDATED *****
(I found a more accurate description of the true problem)

I debated whether to start a new topic or reply to the old topic. The system advised me to start a new topic so here it is.

I have been using the setup described in this thread:

"Topic: 800 calling through SipBroker (via CallCentric) "
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1466.0

Also, using the voice gateway 8 setup to handle only direct 1-8xx calls.

It has been going along for several years without issue. Today, if I pick up the phone and dial 1800xxx-xxxx I just get silence on the line. No error message, no failed ring, no nothing. I tried to change my 800 server in the config, but 3 different providers give the same results.

Has anything changed recently with sipbroker or 800 services or voice gateways that would cause this or require changing settings?

So far today I have tried arctele, tollfreegateway, and callwithus . Surely it couldn't be all of those down at the same time, right?

Anyone else see similar issues recently?

SteveInWA

Callcentric used to charge for toll-free calls.  They no longer do that.  Just call the number directly via Callcentric.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 14, 2017, 03:32:21 PM
Callcentric used to charge for toll-free calls.  They no longer do that.  Just call the number directly via Callcentric.

"The number you have dialed is either invalid or cannot be called using the IP Freedom rate plan."

mo832

I get the following message:
"The number you have dialed is invalid or cannot be called using the IP Freedom rate plan"
------------

Besides, in the thread they discuss reasons you may want to use an alternate gateway, such as not wanting to send your true caller id to the toll free number.

Also, I have better defined the issue as originally assumed. If I set a speed dial to use Callcentric and SipBroker, the call goes though. So it is not really SipBroker having a problem as far as I can tell. The issue is now more related to the special 800 calling method using tollfree gateways and Voice Gateway 8 by RonR described here:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2357.0

Is there something going on with this method such that it is no longer valid? I have not changed my digitmap or anything lately (unless it got corrupted). All I can think of is the tf gateways have all stopped accepting traffic, but that seems unlikely.

Another possibility is is doesn't like my authorization ID at the tf gateway? But it doesn't return an error, only dead silence. And with 3 different gateways. I have now changed it back to tf.arctele.com which is where it was before today and has always worked well.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on April 14, 2017, 02:35:53 PM

So far today I have tried arctele, tollfreegateway, and callwithus . Surely it couldn't be all of those down at the same time, right?

Wow, you sure can pick 'em. Arctele had been reliable but is not working for me today, either. Tollfreegateway definitely doesn't work. CallWithUs toll-free calls are still free but you must have an account with them and use authentication. The following are still working for me:
switch.starcompartners.com
tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com

If you wish to use SIP Broker directly on a Voice Gateway you can follow RonR's instructions here:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31358704-

mo832

Quote from: Taoman on April 14, 2017, 04:27:47 PM
Quote from: mo832 on April 14, 2017, 02:35:53 PM

Wow, you sure can pick 'em. Arctele had been reliable but is not working for me today, either. Tollfreegateway definitely doesn't work. CallWithUs toll-free calls are still free but you must have an account with them and use authentication. The following are still working for me:
switch.starcompartners.com
tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com

If you wish to use SIP Broker directly on a Voice Gateway you can follow RonR's instructions here:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31358704-

I should have played the horses today (or at least pick the ones NOT to bet on).

Thank you so much for that feedback. I just tried alcazar and that worked. Funny how arctele is acting weird. But I'm pleased to know that the setup still works as expected...only need to supply a valid, working tf gateway. I just couldn't imagine so many would be quirky all at the same time.

Thanks again Taoman :)

azrobert

arctele must have changed recently and I started getting one-way audio when the VG was pointed at a dummy trunk that was not registered. I fixed the problem by pointing the VG at a registered trunk. The public IP address isn't discovered when you use an unregistered trunk. You can also manually supplying the address on an unregistered trunk here:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x SIP -> X_PublicIPAddress

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on April 14, 2017, 05:22:04 PM
The public IP address isn't discovered when you use an unregistered trunk.

Interesting. I was using a speed dial pointing at a registered SIP trunk (VoIP.ms) and no worky for me. I then pointed it at every other registered SIP trunk I have and they all worked with arctele including a different VoIP.ms trunk. The only (obvious) difference between the 2 VoIP.ms trunks is one is registered to the main account (which works) and the other to a subaccount (which doesn't work). But the subaccount trunk is my primary incoming route and works great for incoming and outgoing calls. Go figure.

I'll have to look closer at my configurations for the 2 VoIP.ms trunks and see if there is something I'm missing. But thanks for the info. Since the other two tf gateways work fine using that trunk it didn't occur to me to try a different one.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on April 14, 2017, 04:13:52 PM
Callcentric used to charge for toll-free calls.  They no longer do that.  Just call the number directly via Callcentric.

"The number you have dialed is either invalid or cannot be called using the IP Freedom rate plan."

Well, yeah, IP Freedom doesn't have any PSTN calling function.  I'm talking about Callcentric customers that have some sort of PSTN service.

For example, if you want E911 service, you can get it, plus 120 minutes of outbound calling, plus unlimited TFN calling, for the ridiculously low price of $1.95/month, which is only 45 cents per month more than just the E911 service.

If people are pathological cheapskates, then use Google Voice for TFN calls.

Besides, in the thread they discuss reasons you may want to use an alternate gateway, such as not wanting to send your true caller id to the toll free number.

Seriously?  It's usually a benefit to send your caller ID with a TFN call, since many large companies use it as a security/authentication method, and it enables IVRs to immediately find you in their account database and provide personalized support.

If you are paranoid, then you can use a CC account with no inbound DID number, and CC will send THEIR caller ID on TFN calls.

mo832

Quote from: azrobert on April 14, 2017, 05:22:04 PM
arctele must have changed recently and I started getting one-way audio when the VG was pointed at a dummy trunk that was not registered. I fixed the problem by pointing the VG at a registered trunk. The public IP address isn't discovered when you use an unregistered trunk. You can also manually supplying the address on an unregistered trunk here:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x SIP -> X_PublicIPAddress

I am not familiar with this trunk stuff. If I want to go back to using arctele, am I able to?

I only have 2 SP's. SP1 is CC (sip) and Sp2 is GV. I have been using VG8 (on sp1) for TF numbers using various TF gateways. I was parked on tf.arctele.com until now when I changed to alcazar.

My CC account is with IP Freedom, so no outgoing on that SP1. Also, I don't have a fixed IP address. How would I tweak my settings to allow arctele to look at a "registered trunk" on VG8 ?

azrobert

I fixed my problem with Arctele by pointing my VG from an unregistered trunk to a registered trunk. I assume you are pointing your VG8 at SP1 and SP1 is registered to CC, so you are already pointing to a registered trunk. Toaman had his VG pointing at a trunk registered to a VoIP.ms subaccount and fixed his problem by switching to a trunk registered to the main VoIP.ms account. I don't understand why either of these didn't work. Maybe someone with a better understanding of SIP will chime in.

mo832

Quote from: azrobert on April 15, 2017, 08:49:36 PM
I fixed my problem with Arctele by pointing my VG from an unregistered trunk to a registered trunk. I assume you are pointing your VG8 at SP1 and SP1 is registered to CC, so you are already pointing to a registered trunk. Toaman had his VG pointing at a trunk registered to a VoIP.ms subaccount and fixed his problem by switching to a trunk registered to the main VoIP.ms account. I don't understand why either of these didn't work. Maybe someone with a better understanding of SIP will chime in.

Correct, I point VG8 to sp1 and sp1 is set to CC. However, all this time up to now, I have populated the AuthUserID in VG8 with a dummy phone number and password in VG8 is blank. I have always been able to make outgoing toll-free calls this way. You say that sp1 is already a registered trunk, but now arctele does not work for me.

Are you saying that in order to be considered a registered trunk, I must set up VG8 with real values? And if yes, should those values match my CC credentials?

I suppose I could do this, but I am unclear about why arctele would pass my 800 call through, using CC credentials on arctele's gateway. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what is going on here...

azrobert

QuoteAre you saying that in order to be considered a registered trunk, I must set up VG8 with real values? And if yes, should those values match my CC credentials?
No, you can use any credentials you want on the VG.

You are already pointing VG8 to SP1 and SP1 is registered to CC. This fixed the problem I had with Actele. I don't know why it's not working for you nor do I know how to fix it.

mo832

Quote from: azrobert on April 18, 2017, 09:16:14 AM

You are already pointing VG8 to SP1 and SP1 is registered to CC. This fixed the problem I had with Actele. I don't know why it's not working for you nor do I know how to fix it.

I wonder if the problem is that the sp1 is registered to CC with an incoming plan only? Is your registered trunk one that you can dial out already? I have no calling credit or dial out capability with my CC "IP Freedom" plan. Do you think that would make a difference in terms of using the arctele tf gateway?

azrobert

This is an audio problem and I believe it is caused by how the OBi handles IP addresses. When the trunk is registered to a provider the OBi uses the public IP address and the local IP address when not registered. I have not verified this theory with traces, but I have anecdotal evidence. Hard coding the public IP address fixes the problem on an unregistered trunk. I am not an SIP expert, so don't ask how these addresses are used.

To verify you are having the same problem make a call and then go to Status -> Call Status in OBi Expert.
Are the RTP receive packet count increasing or staying blank?
You have to click on Call Status again to update the counts.
My receive counts were staying blank.

Did you uncheck Services Providers -> ITSP A SIP -> X_DiscoverPublicAddress?
You can try port forwarding the RTP ports 16600 thru 16798 in your router to the OBi100's IP address.
The RTP ports are found here: Services Providers -> ITSP A RTP
Also port forward the listening port 5060.
I don't need port forwarding.
Do you have 2 local networks and have the OBi100 connected to the 2nd network?

mo832

OK, but before I even dive into this, do you have any insight as to why this problem is still present, even though I appear to be using a "registered trunk" ? My understanding is that I am already doing the right thing. The only possible factor that I can guess is that I am registered on CC, but only authorized for incoming. I don't know how to make it more registered than it already is..  :D

Is this a plausible reason for the arctele server not taking my 800 calls?

It was working fine for months, and a few tf servers work now with no changes.

azrobert

Quote from: mo832 on April 21, 2017, 10:12:30 AM
The only possible factor that I can guess is that I am registered on CC, but only authorized for incoming.
Is this a plausible reason for the arctele server not taking my 800 calls?

It was working fine for months, and a few tf servers work now with no changes.

No. I have a Callcentric IP Freedom account without an outbound plan. Actele works for me pointed to an SP trunk registered to this account. My OBi was working with an unregistered SP trunk and then it stopped working. Something changed somewhere.