News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't get new Obi200 to work w/ GV and PhonePower

Started by karrun1, April 17, 2017, 06:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karrun1

I previously had an Obi 110 which I just replaced with the 200. So I added the device in my Obitalk dashboard. Everything looks good, but I can't get incoming calls to the phone connected to the Obi.Outbound calls work. I get a "Google subscriber is not available". I have PhonePower as my provider, and I am forwarding my GV number there, as I did previously. When I look up that error, I get advice to turn on Google Chat in my Google Voice account, which I am pretty sure does not exist anymore. Can anyone help me?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Well, it could be one of several reasons.  You said you are forwarding your Google Voice number to a PhonePower number.  Call that PhonePower number directly, from some other phone number (like a mobile phone number or traditional land line number).  What happens?

The "Chat" option isn't needed in your scenario, because you want to instead forward inbound calls to PP, not to Chat.  FYI, the Chat setting is still available, in the "Legacy" Google Voice settings page.

Look at your OBi 200's settings on the OBiTALK dashboard.  Does it say that the Service Provider (SP1 -- SP4) that you are using with Google Voice is "Connected"?  If so, attempt to make an outbound call from that SP.  Does it work?  If so, does the called party see your Google Voice number as the caller ID, or do they see a blank field or "unknown caller"?

karrun1

Thanks for your reply. When I try to call my PP number from my cell phone nothing happens. Not sure what that means.
Yes, the Obitalk dashboard say my google voice is connected. And when I call out, it does work, and shows the correct GV number in caller id.
I did see the Google Chat option under Legacy settings. Should I check that?

karrun1

Hey, I did try checking Google Chat, and was able to receive a call. I have no idea why I have to do that, but it appears to be working now.

drgeoff

Quote from: karrun1 on April 18, 2017, 03:49:00 AM
Hey, I did try checking Google Chat, and was able to receive a call. I have no idea why I have to do that, but it appears to be working now.
You must tick Chat if you want incoming GV calls to come directly to your OBi. If you want them to come via Phonepower (perhaps for Caller Name) you should untick Chat and fix whatever is wrong between Phonepower and your OBi.

SteveInWA

Quote from: karrun1 on April 18, 2017, 03:46:59 AM
When I try to call my PP number from my cell phone nothing happens. Not sure what that means.

It means, your PP service is not working, of course.  There is nothing wrong with your Google Voice service.

Look at the OBiTALK settings page for your device, where you saw "Connected" next to your Google Voice account.  What does it say for PP?  It should say "Registered".  If not, contact PP for help.

SteveInWA

And, by the way, Google Voice and Phonepower are both usable by themselves (assuming you fix the Phonepower account).  Why are you forwarding your Google Voice number to your Phonepower number?

karrun1

I started doing that a few years ago when GV was supposedly going away. Now I continue for the e911 service.
I was wrong about it working now. Now I get a "Verizon wireless, the phone number you are calling has been changed, disconnected or is no longer in service". I get the same thing when I call my PP number. I guess its time to call PP?

SteveInWA

I asked you to look at your OBiTALK dashboard, to see the status of your Phonepower account.  Do that.

karrun1

I don't see anything on my dashboard about PP. Where should I see that? Should it be listed under SP1 or SP2?

SteveInWA

This is something so basic that I have to ask:  if you have been using Phonepower with your OBi for several years, how could you not know where to find it on the OBi's device page?  Click on the device in the OBiTALK portal main dashboard page.  You should see a list of the device's service providers.  Which SP is configured for which service?  You just told us earlier that you looked at that page, and saw Google Voice is "Connected", so what does PP say?

See the attached screenshot.

karrun1

I added PP as SP2 but it won't connect apparently. I get Register Failed: 401 Unauthorized. I tried both my PP phone number and my user name, but get the same error.

SteveInWA

Well then, you may have entered the wrong password for Phonepower.  Contact them for help.

Taoman

Quote from: karrun1 on April 18, 2017, 09:36:26 AM
I added PP as SP2 but it won't connect apparently. I get Register Failed: 401 Unauthorized. I tried both my PP phone number and my user name, but get the same error.
Using your PhonePower web portal login credentials will never work. You must use your SIP credentials.

Assuming you set up PhonePower on your OBi110 originally as an "Approved Service Provider" thru the OBitalk web portal you have two choices:

Have PhonePower automatically provision your OBi200 thru the OBitalk web portal by ReSyncing your Obihai:
http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Obihai_plans#ReSyncing_your_Obihai

Or set it up manually by enabling your SIP credentials:
http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/How_to_enable_SIP_Credentials