News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wireless USB headset with working EHS?

Started by glambx, April 20, 2017, 08:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glambx

Has anyone managed to get the EHS to work with any wireless USB/PC headset on the OBi1000 line?  If so, which headset(s)?

Thanks!

ckelsoe

I unfortunately have had little success. The reason is that I am using the phone with DialPad and they, like most vendors, think they own the phone and lock the user out of the settings. I have pushed back on this to no avail. I need to find a different vendor. I think I will be porting the numbers back to VOIP.MS and just connecting the phone directly to them. At least I will regain control of the phone and be able to get into the settings.

glambx

I'm using voip.ms and all is well; I have complete config access.  Highly recommended.  Note that the highest quality codec they support is G711U, though, so no HD on sip/sip calls.  Still sounds pretty decent though.

I haven't found any USB headset EHS controls in settings, however.  I don't think there's a standard HID code/keymap for PC headsets. :/

SteveInWA

EHS is only relevant for RJ-9-connected (professional-class) headsets, not USB headsets, as it has to communicate between the phone and the headset base (amplifier/controller) via a special, hardwired RJ-45 connection.

glambx

Ok, might be using the wrong terminology then.

What I was hoping for is a way to enable the call answer/end button on USB headsets, or a list of headsets which work in that regard.

SteveInWA

"OBi 1000 line"?  Which product, exactly, are you using -- an OBi 1022, 1032 or 1062 phone? Or?

glambx

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 21, 2017, 11:27:41 AM
"OBi 1000 line"?  Which product, exactly, are you using -- an OBi 1022, 1032 or 1062 phone? Or?

I'm on an OBi1062.

SteveInWA

The 1062 has built-in Bluetooth support.  Try using a Bluetooth headset; the call-answering function usually works, although the range (distance from the phone to the headset) is rather short -- the same as it would be for a cell phone using a BT headset.

Otherwise, you'd need a business-class RJ-9 headset, like the Jabra 9400 series, with the two EHS cables.

glambx

Oh, I've got a bluetooth headset and it works fine.  Main complaint is sound quality, of course.

I'll buy a DECT RJ9 wireless headset if I must, but I was really hoping to use USB so that I could share it with my PC for meetings while on the road.  No USB hangup/answer functionality isn't the end of the world; would be a nice feature though!

OBiSupport

Technically, EHS technology is used with the 'old-style' RJ-9 interface... but we get what you mean. Maybe...

On many USB adapter connected wireless headsets, you 'should' be able to use the button on the USB headset to answer, hang up calls a la EHS.  If it is a Bluetooth connection to the adapter, then do what SteveInWA suggests and pair directly with the OBi1062 or OBiBT in the OBi1032/1022.  Otherwise, if it is not working, let us know what make and model you are using and we will consider supporting this in a future firmware release.

Also, be sure to upgrade your OBi IP phone with the latest firmware (***6) as we have made improvements to the USB headset audio quality, recently. [v5.0.6 (Build 4176EX)]

Wired USB headsets are working great, generally.

If this answer does not jibe with your question, please let us know and we'll readdress.

glambx

Running the latest firmware, and the USB audio quality is fantastic. :)

Turns out the Logitech H800 doesn't send any HID keycodes when you press the play/pause/call button connected via wireless/USB, only for bluetooth.  So, I'm out of luck.  Guess I'll just have to try one of the fancy DECT headsets; the 1062's call quality is way too high to send through bluetooth.