News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use a MAC or Win PC with GoogleTalk Client to Make/Receive Calls on an OBi

Started by ShermanObi, July 30, 2011, 05:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShermanObi

Today, you have a way today to use the Google Talk client with your OBi device configured with Google Voice.  This requires that you have separate Google accounts for your OBi device and Google Talk client running on the Windows or MAC pc.

To Make Calls to the OBi (Ring the Phone or Make a New Call):
1.  Add the Google Account name for your Google Talk on the pc to your Trusted Callers list in OBiTALK.
2.  Add the Google Account name for your Google Talk on the pc as a Google Talk Buddy to the Google Account that you are using on the OBi device.
3.  To call the OBi from the pc, just make a Google Talk call to your "Buddy" associated with the OBi device.
4.  Since the Google Talk account name being used to call from the pc is in the Trusted Callers list of the OBi, the OBi Attendant will answer and offer the pc user the option to ring the phone connected to the OBi (Option 1) or make new call (Option 2).  Use the keyboard on the pc to type 1 or 2 and press Enter.  If you are making a New Call, be sure to type the ten digit number followed by the "#" sign (Shift+3) and Enter.

To call the MAC from the OBi:
1.  Configure a Speed Dial number for the Google Account name for the Google Talk client running on the pc.
2.  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and dial the speed dial number to ring the Google Talk client on the pc.

Doraemon

Hello,ShermanObi

Thank you for your posting interesting article.

I've added my Gtalk username as a trusted caller to Obi.
But when I call My Obi110 from google chat,it rings the phone attached to Obi as opposed to taking me to AA.

I posted this problem before,Please check here

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1125.msg7041#msg7041

Please give me any advise.

Thank you for your help in advance.

ShermanObi

In order for the OBi device to answer the incoming G-Talk call with the OBi Attendant, you need to put the caller's Gmail user name in the "Phone Number" field of the OBiTALK Trusted Callers listing.

E.g. "GTalk-caller@gmail.com"

When GTalk-caller places a call to their OBi "buddy" from Google Talk, the OBi device will answer the call with its OBi Attendant.  The caller will then have the choice to use their pc's keyboard to press:

1 to Continue the call - i.e. Ring the attached phone.
2 to Make a new call - Dial with the pc keyboard a regular telephone number followed by the #.
3 to Enter a Callback Number - Dial with the pc keyboard a number that the OBi will use to make the call back call.