News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can not add device

Started by richard203, May 03, 2017, 11:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard203

hi I just brought obi200 from amazon and tried installing it but I got stuck on the step where you add the device. when I called its busy. any help?

drgeoff

Did you reach the echo test number **9 222 222 222 ?

richard203

yes I tried dialing that but it have the busy tone.

drgeoff

Quote from: richard203 on May 04, 2017, 08:26:33 AM
yes I tried dialing that but it have the busy tone.
It is pointless trying to proceed until you can make a successful call to the echo test number.

http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/start

richard203

It say I need to disable dmz. I'm using netgear and I don't see dmz. Is dmz forwarding port?

drgeoff

It does not say that you need to disable DMZ.

Pick up the phone. Do you get dial tone? If yes,  dial ***1 and report back here everything you hear. And the same after dialling ***2.

richard203

I did not get the dial tone just the busy tone when calling the **9222222

richard203

I'll try to dial the **1 when I get home and report back

drgeoff

You seem to have a problem with either reading or writing or both.  That will severely effect anyone's efforts to assist you.

richard203

Tried calling **1 and **2 it have the busy tone.

LTN1

Quote from: richard203 on May 04, 2017, 04:46:35 PM
Tried calling **1 and **2 it have the busy tone.

drgeoff stated for you to dial ***1 and ***2 and report back so he can further help you troubleshoot.

YOU keep on writing that you tried calling **1 and **2 (you only seem to write 2 (that is, two) stars before the 1 and 2.

drgeoff advised you to dial 3 (that is, THREE) stars before the 1 and 2.

Can you read this? * * * 1 and * * * 2

richard203

oky first off it was a typo I dialed ***1 and ***2 and I did report back what I hear and I hear only busy tone  that's all.

LTN1

If you just bought this from Amazon, request a refund or an exchange.

Now...I'm just making a wild guess here...but I think you might be better off going back to or with a landline. If you still want to go VoIP, try Ooma--it may be easier to configure (not that the OBi is hard--but it is not for everyone).

richard203

if u not going to help and just tell people to go refund cause they having trouble then u should not post if you not helping.

LTN1

I did say "or exchange" since there could be a defect--but did not elaborate since I assumed it was implied.

I didn't go on to further elaborate that it could be a network issue on your end...which is often times beyond the scope of this forum.

Based on your inartful response, it would surprise me to see you get anymore help. But who knows...someone may be lonely enough to help you troubleshoot your network issues.

azrobert

Quote from: richard203 on May 04, 2017, 11:30:19 AM
I did not get the dial tone just the busy tone when calling the **9222222
You should always get dial tone, even when the OBi200 is disconnected from the router. If you are sure the phone and cable are good then you have a defective product and should request a replacement.

You can try a factory reset, but I doubt it will help.
Disconnect the OBi200 from your router.
There is a reset button access hole on the bottom of the OBi200.
It's different than the vent holes.
Press and hold the reset button with a paper clip until the OBi200 starts to reboot.
The lights will start flashing.

richard203

I disconnect the obi200 from the router and tested like you say, I got the dial tone but when I plug the Ethernet cable back in I got the busy tone.

azrobert

Try a different Ethernet cable.

richard203

Quote from: azrobert on May 04, 2017, 07:48:10 PM
Try a different Ethernet cable.

tried using diff cable same busy tone.

drgeoff

Have you done a factory reset? If yes, proceed.

Unplug the ethernet cable. Ensure the phone is plugged in directly to the OBi - not through house wiring, not through a fax machine etc. And the phone must tone dial.

Take the phone off-hook and listen. Do you hear dial tone?

Dial ***1. Do you hear a voice? (It is generated inside the OBi.)

If your answer to any of the last two questions is 'no', then either the OBi or the phone is defective.