News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo for 911 auto setup

Started by anthony11, May 09, 2017, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthony11

So i setup Anveo e911 using link on obitalk.com.  It configured the settings but i notices that the box ring for incoming calls was unchecked.  Should this box be checked to receive call back from 911 operator?

SteveInWA

I wondered about that myself, recently.

My OBi devices are set up with regular (non-emergency) inbound and outbound calling service from Callcentric (competitor to Anveo).  Both Callcentric and Anveo use the same type of VoIP E911 third-party service provider.  In my case, I subscribed to 911 service from Callcentric.  My devices are setup to use SP1 for outbound 911 calls (SP1 is one of my Callcentric numbers).  My OBi is therefore already set to ring on received inbound calls for SP1.  Therefore, the 911 service will place a callback to the same SP1 user agent (xx.xx.xx.xx:port) as was used to call 911.  It does this by assigning a different 10-digit inbound number to my account, which it displays to the 911 dispatcher. Calling that number will appear to my OBi as an inbound call on SP1.  I tested this as follows:

Call 933, the VoIP 911 verification test number.  It reads back the special return-call phone number, then it reads back my registered street address and confirms it's set up and active.  I hung up, and then I called the special number from a cell phone.  It immediately rang my SP1, just as if I called the regular CC number.  OBi call history showed it as an inbound call to SP1.

Now, if you do not have a regular number from Anveo, and you are just using it for 911 service, provisioned on, say, SP2, the 911 callback will be routed to your OBi on SP2.  What's unclear is, if there is some built-in override for this condition, that will ring the line anyhow, even if the box is unchecked.  It wouldn't hurt to check-mark that box.  I haven't taken the time to analyze the OBi digit maps to see if it sets up inbound calling to ring the appropriate SPx, regardless, when 911 is being used.  I kinda doubt it.

Just my personal opinion.  I'm open to other points of view.

anthony11

I would like to know for sure.  I had the box checked.  I did a live 911 call (they were ok with it), I asked the operator to call me back.  They did , my phone rang I picked up the line and did not hear anything or a bit of static.  So I don't know if the operator called me up and hung up quickly (she was not to happy with my request)  or if me checking the box caused a technical issue.

Taoman

Quote from: anthony11 on May 09, 2017, 04:39:20 PM
I would like to know for sure.

If it rang you should be good to go. But to know for sure go here in OBi Expert (Advanced Configuration) and post what is in the X_InboundCallRoute field:

Voice Services-->SPx* Services-->X_InboundCallRoute

*select the SPx service configured for Anveo E911

As long as your X_InboundCallRoute is either blank or has the default ph you're good to go. What you don't want to see is {}.

anthony11

It says ph.  its wierd i wanted to see if that field changed if I unchecked the ring for inbound.  However, when I do that and click submit (saves), and I go back in the settings it is checked again.  It does not save it unchecked.  I know when I first installed the 911 service it was unchecked.  strange.

anthony11

See image . I have a few exclamation points by some of the settings.  Others to that are not in the screen shot.

thank you.  obitalk support is asking for my obitalk # to confirm settings.  this ok?

Taoman

Quote from: anthony11 on May 09, 2017, 05:18:01 PM
See image . I have a few exclamation points by some of the settings.  Others to that are not in the screen shot.

thank you.  obitalk support is asking for my obitalk # to confirm settings.  this ok?

Red exclamation points mean those fields have been changed from the default setting.

Yes, ok to send # to Obihai support.

Taoman

Quote from: anthony11 on May 09, 2017, 05:11:05 PM
It says ph.  its wierd i wanted to see if that field changed if I unchecked the ring for inbound.  However, when I do that and click submit (saves), and I go back in the settings it is checked again.  It does not save it unchecked.  I know when I first installed the 911 service it was unchecked.  strange.

Nothing to worry about. For me, those initial configuration wizards only work the first time I use them. When I have tried to go back and change a setting (other than username and password) nothing was ever changed. But it seems to work for some people.

I honestly don't understand what that checkbox for ringing inbound is there for. The default setting for X_InboundCallRoute is always ph and that is the field that matters. The implication is that if you uncheck that box the phone won't ring for inbound calls on that trunk. Well the only way I know of to make that happen is to use {} which is the empty set (or forward/reroute elsewhere but unchecking that box sure wouldn't configure that). And I just can't imagine the initial configuration wizard would ever configure {} for the X_InboundCallRoute.

Anyone else have an idea why that checkbox is there or what it actually does? I don't get it.

SteveInWA

Quote from: anthony11 on May 09, 2017, 04:39:20 PM
I would like to know for sure.  I had the box checked.  I did a live 911 call (they were ok with it), I asked the operator to call me back.  They did , my phone rang I picked up the line and did not hear anything or a bit of static.  So I don't know if the operator called me up and hung up quickly (she was not to happy with my request)  or if me checking the box caused a technical issue.

No!  You don't need to actually call 911, and freak out the operators.  Follow the scenario I described in my previous post:  call the 933 test number.  It exercises the end-to-end connections as if you were actually calling 911, but it's all automated.  Listen to the telephone number it reads back to you.  This is the substitute or shadow phone number that the system sends to the 911 operator as your caller ID, and which will be used as a callback.  Write down that number.  Hang up.  Call that number from some other telephone, like your cell phone.  It should immediately ring whichever SPx you used for Anveo 911.  If it rings, that proves it's working.