News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 and google voice

Started by GAKW, May 13, 2017, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAKW

I had a perfectly working system
1. SP1: Freephoneline (using digimaps) for all canadian numbers. Outgoing CallerID would be my FPL#
2. SP2: google voice (using digimaps) for all US numbers. Outgoing CallerID would be my google voice #
3. SP3: localphone.com. Outgoing Caller ID is set to my FPL#
4. SP4: freevoipdial (using digimaps)for everything outside canada and usa. Outgoing Caller ID is set to my FPL#

Incoming calls to my FPL# and Google Voice will of course ring my physical phone attached
I was living in peace with this configuration for a long time.
Today, I created a new gmail account with the intention of moving the google voice # to that account. I used google option to transfer my google voice # from gmail account #1 to gmail account #2. It worked from the google front and google voice UX showed the number was transferred appropriately.
I innocently thought that it would be a straightforward change: a. Logged into my obi200 (direct interface since I disabled obitalk)  b. Open SP2 Service page and entered my Authusername and password for the new gmail account.

Now THE PROBLEMS:
1. if I call a US number, the call correctly goes to SP2 and the end party rings. However, the terminating party no longer display caller id (the actual 10 digit google voice number). It only shows unknown or private.
2. If I call my google voice number, the phone doesnt ring and it doesnt get registered on obi200 

If somebody can assist really, really appreciated. I am little rusty on have spent an hour searching but can not find the answer. Of course, I reboot and also power obi200.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GAKW on May 13, 2017, 08:52:37 PM

I innocently thought that it would be a straightforward change: a. Logged into my obi200 (direct interface since I disabled obitalk)  b. Open SP2 Service page and entered my Authusername and password for the new gmail account.

Why would you think that, and not find the answer after searching for an hour?  This forum is full of posts on how to set up Google Voice, as is the Obihai web site's tutorials.

OBi devices do not access Google Voice via a username and password, as is the case with SIP ITSPs.  Instead, to enhance security, the devices use OAUTH 2.0 secure access token exchange, which, with your permission, only allows access to the specific Google service it needs, "Chat".  You must perform the setup via the OBiTALK web portal, which manages the token exchange.  Neither the OBiTALK portal, nor the OBi device, ever store, or even know, your Google password.  After performing the initial setup, if you wish, you can disable OBiTALK portal access.

GAKW

Hi @SteveInWA
Thanks, stupid me.
What happened is that I thought I had properly configured google voice and the problem was how to set up caller id. I was ignoring how to make google voice works posts.
It is just now that I realized the change I made never stuck. I was all along using the old gmail google voice account. New one was ignored.

What I am planning now
1. backup my configuration on local configuration
2. restore it on obitalk
3. reenable obitalk provisioning in local configuration
4. in obitalk remove google voice and read it
5. test and if all good
6. disable obitalk provisioning in local configuration

GAKW

Ok, all good now. :) Apologies for the alarm.

I am writing trying to contribute a little. I am still very, very happy with this product. I wish I purchased the two line one to have an office number :).
I panicked yesterday and was confused in the evening with vague memories of what I did two years ago. Again, my use case was transferring a number from one google account to another and then trying to update this on obi200.

As stated many times in the forum, my observations:
1. Google Voice is pretty unique and has to be configured AND updated, etc only through obitalk.com sever simple web interface. Not in expert mode web interface. Not locally on obi200 web interface.
2. (Seems like) Any other service provider can be entered in all 3 ways and work just fine. Obitalk.com server simple interface, obitalk.com expert mode interface. I have updated my long distance providers many times. 
2. Obitalk server web interface is a bit "peculiar".
  a. Normally service providers are added sequentially SP1, SP2, SP3, SP4
  b. I initially had GV on SP2
  c. When I used obitalk.com to update GV credentials, it provisioned it correctly but overwrote SP4 (not the existing GV on SP2). Everything worked over that SP4 interface. Of course SP2 got broken.
  d. As a result I had to update my digimaps, etc. No issue.

Some recommendation for another newbies:
1. If you can, configure GV on SP4. If you need to update/erase/add, just erase it and re-add it and I (speculate) will add on SP4 (assuming 1-3 are already used). Then no need to change digimaps.
2. Remember that if you have obitalk.com enable you have to make the changes through their expert mode web interface and NOT through the local obi200 web interface. Otherwise changes wont stick.
3. I dont think it is possible to chose an outgoing caller id with google voice. I still get the actual google voice number. I am alright with this but appreciate if somebody knows an easy way to do this.