News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Cisco 9971 Phone with OBi and/or Google Voice

Started by Cisco9971, May 27, 2017, 10:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cisco9971

I have 2 Cisco 9971 phones - they are currently not connected to anything.  However, they are really nice phones - have hard wired connections, as well WiFi, and a camera on them.  These phones have an excellent microphone and speaker....they are great phones.

At home today I have one OBI200 in use - utilizing a Google Voice number.  We really like this - seems to work well.

So....  I would like to extend my setup to include my 2 Cisco 9971 phones to our Google Voice account.  Is this possible with OBI?  Or can you suggest some other way if not directly to Google Voice?

I prefer to pay a 1 time cost for hookup - and then nothing ongoing...sort of like the OBI setup we have.  Must easier to justify a 1-time fee.    Someone out there must have a solution to this.

Cisco9971

Thanks for your response; however, I don't understand it.  I am looking for easy way to hook up my 9971 to Google Voice...and hopefully via an OBI device.

All input welcome.

azrobert

The OBi200 has a feature allowing an SIP device to register to it in a similar way as registering to an SIP service provider. The link I provided shows how to define SP4 with this feature. The change to SP1 will route inbound calls to the IP phone. You need to use OBi Expert to make these configuration changes.

To enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBi200 then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert.
To navigate click on the titles with the + then click on a sub-title.
An example: click on Service Providers then click ITSP Profile A General.
To make a change BOTH boxes to the right of the value must be unchecked.
When all changes are complete on this page, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi and reboot it.
Wait until this process is complete before continuing to make another change on a different page.

If you go this route and get one phone working, I'll show you how to define the 2nd. GV only allows 2 simultaneous calls, so only 2 devices can be used at the same time. You have the option to add a 2nd GV account.

The only other method I know to use GV on an IP phone is Simon Telephonics Google Voice Gateway.
https://simonics.com/services/
I have not used this version of the Gateway, so you need to do your own research.  If you decide to use the GW, you should probably convert your OBi200 to the GW making the setup just as complex or more.  

Cisco9971

Ok - that gives me hope...thank you.

Let me explain a little more to make sure we are on the right path - today have an OBI200 connected to a standard analog phone (2 handsets).  It works fairly well.  I want to use just 1 GV account/number for my home (the existing one that I am using).

I would like to setup my 9971 (s) as basically an additional handset in my home for my GV account/number.  They would be connected to my home network - also able to see the same network that the OBI200 is on.

Does the method you recommended allow me to accomplish this?

azrobert

Quote from: Cisco9971 on May 29, 2017, 10:11:12 AM
Does the method you recommended allow me to accomplish this?

That is exactly what the setup will do.