News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Line Monitor

Started by BStone, June 01, 2017, 05:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BStone

I have seven OBi1062 units and would like to use the line monitor function.  I have the devices all linked under one account. If I select "Monitor" and "Auto" and enter the linked extension number...it does not light up to show available/busy, etc. What do I need to do to make this feature work?

Thank you in advance for your help

drgeoff

I have a single 1032 and don't use this feature so the following is based solely on my reading of the Admin Guide. http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi1000AdminGuide.pdf

Are you referring to the BLF?  The monitoring of other phones requires that to be supported by the Service Provider or PBX.  Or by Obitalk network as described in the 'BLF With OBiTALK Service' section on page 90 of the above document.

BStone

Yes, this is what I'm referring to.  Using ObiTalk, when I select "Monitor" for line key - what do I enter as the extension to get it to work? I've tried to extension number of the linked device and the Obi number and neither have made the BLF light up to show busy or available.  Pressing the button will connect as a speed dial - but I'm most interested in making the BLF work.

Thank for your help

drgeoff

" .. OBiTALK service offers a peer-to-peer version of BLF that can be quite handy. Every OBi1000 Phone can notify its phone status to a configured OBi number that is configured in the OBiTALK Service – Calling Features::CallStatusAggregator parameter. The notified phone monitors each notifying phone with a BLF function key that is configured with the Voice Service field set to OBiTALK and number set to the monitored 9-digit OBi number."

That i says to me that you need to use 9 digit OBi numbers in both places.  The phone being monitored needs to have the OBi number of the monitoring phone put in OBiTALK Service – Calling Features::CallStatusAggregator.  And when configuring the button on the monitoring phone you enter the OBi number of the phone being monitored. 

BStone

I've tried using the Obi number, also with **9 at the beginning, and just the extension number.  None make the light come up.  That's why I'm so confused.

drgeoff

Quote from: BStone on June 07, 2017, 07:02:13 AM
I've tried using the Obi number, also with **9 at the beginning, and just the extension number.  None make the light come up.  That's why I'm so confused.
Again with the proviso that I cannot verify this actually works.

Obitalk service enabled on both phones.  Configurations as in screenshots.

On the monitoring phone this brings up an on screen label 'Monitor Extens... OBITALK: 600456789' with an amber magnifying glass and X inside it.  Alongside an amber LED.  Or if put on one of the 8 programmable keys, its LED turns on amber.

BStone

You are right - this DOES work! So now the question becomes - these phones are all in a retail environment.  I have 7 of these phones, I'd like to be able to have this setup for each phone so the others can see if the phone is busy or available.  Am I making sense?

Thanks again for all of your help

drgeoff

Quote from: BStone on June 07, 2017, 10:54:40 AM
You are right - this DOES work! So now the question becomes - these phones are all in a retail environment.  I have 7 of these phones, I'd like to be able to have this setup for each phone so the others can see if the phone is busy or available.  Am I making sense?

Thanks again for all of your help
If you mean can all 7 phones monitor the other 6, then I think no.  My understanding is that when using BLF via Obitalk, each phone can only notify its state to one other phone.

But no harm in trying to put all 6 OBi numbers into the CallStatusAggregator box.  Try separating the numbers with a comma.  If that does not work, try putting parenthesis around the list as in (200123456, 200456789, .......) .  But I would not be optimistic.

The 'proper' way of doing it is to utilise a PBX which supports BLF.  FreePBX does as I can verify with my OBi1032, OBi110 and FreePBX.  You can run that on a RaspberryPi but getting your head around Asterisk and FreePBX is not something most mere mortals can accomplish in a day or two.  :(  And if all your phones are not on the same private IP subnet, there are additional security considerations when getting the phones connected.

FocusGuy

Where can I go to get more information on the CallStatuAgregattor function? I am interested in getting my three phones to monitor each other and it would be great if I could do that without a PBX.

drgeoff

Quote from: FocusGuy on August 05, 2018, 06:46:36 AM
Where can I go to get more information on the CallStatuAgregattor function? I am interested in getting my three phones to monitor each other and it would be great if I could do that without a PBX.
Have you looked in the OBi Phone Administration Guide?

jccpa

So I can get the Left key position #5 on Obi2182 to Monitor another 2182, but the NAME does not display.

I've confirmed it is properly entered in Expert mode and in XML, but it displays:

Monitor Ext.
680123456     / remote obi number

The name does not display. I can't imagine this is how it is supposed to work?

...and after about 40 mins of working, it suddenly turned to amber X (not working) for about 30 secs and then back to idle. I confirmed the other extension was not touched.

I'm not sure I have the CallStatusAggregator down right.

According to the AdminGuide, it reads like ONE device per network will act as the aggregator and all devices would point to it, presumably with their own status.

But it wouldn't work like that. I pointed one 2182 to the 2nd one, also pointed the 2nd one to itself (maybe that is the problem?), and amber X.

When I changed the 2nd 2182 to point to the first as aggregator, the monitor started to work.

But in this second method, could only monitor ONE other extension.

I want to monitor the other extensions on each of the phones. Many reasons, including knowing if they are on the phone, intercom, etc before trying to contact them via intercom, xfer, etc

Can someone help me straighten this out?  

Thanks.

PS- I tried pointing both 2182's to OBi202, but now after a minute or so the display is back to amber X (offline)