News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can the OBi202 enable all the wall outlets in my house?

Started by McKnight, June 02, 2017, 08:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKnight

I ported my Land line from ATT to a mobile provider then to Google Voice.  I have my OBi202 set up and it works great when I plug my phone into the OBi202 directly.

My trouble comes when I plug the OBi202 into the wall outlet to enable my home network so my other wall outlets work.  Immediately after plugging in the OBi202 to the wall outlet, the power light goes red and it reboots.

Is the OBi202 capable of doing what I am describing?  If so, what may be causing this problem?

azrobert

Make sure AT&T is disconnected from your house wiring. They probably won't remove power from your wiring after cancelation of service. If this is the situation, you're lucky you didn't fry your OBi202.

McKnight

Thank you so much!  I didn't even consider that.  I will see if I can determine where it comes in.  I live in an old house that has two lines, so I want to make sure I disconnect the correct thing.

In the meantime, I can switch the location of the base unit with the cordless handset and just have one non active phone in the house.

SteveInWA

Quote from: McKnight on June 02, 2017, 10:14:34 AM
I live in an old house that has two lines, so I want to make sure I disconnect the correct thing.

How old is "old"?  If the house was built in the 1970s or after, it likely uses multi-conductor telephone wiring that conforms to a standard.  Each line is a two-wire pair.  One wire is a solid color, and the other wire is white, with stripes of that same color.  Line 1 is blue/blue-white, and Line 2 is orange/orange-white, etc.  If the house was built before then, it may use the very old standard -- a four-conductor cable with red, yellow, green and black wires.  See the attached diagram. 

You MUST disconnect the incoming telephone company wires from the point of entry into your building, known as the "demarcation" point or "demarc block".  There should be a metal or plastic box somewhere, where this connection is made.

After you do that, then the method you use to connect the OBi to the house wiring depends on whether or not both of the two incoming telco lines are dead/disconnected, or if you still want to have working telco service on one of those lines, and use the OBi for the other line.  What is your plan?

dircom

4 conductor Red/Green (Line 1) Yellow/Black (Line 2) wire was used until sometime in the late 80's in the Bell System.
Find the Network Interface usually outside near your electric meter.  Make sure the house wiring is not connected to the wires from the pole or ground terminal.