News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100: trouble picking up a call on an extension phone

Started by RobN, June 03, 2017, 12:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobN

This is embarrassing.  I know how to search and read manuals, but I just can't seem to find any information on this very basic topic.

If someone in the house wants to "pickup" another phone on my obi100 and talk to the person I'm talking to, how is that done?  Can they just join the conversation by keying in a code?

2nd related question:  Say I'm on a call, and the phone battery is about to run out, how do I send the call to another "extension" phone this is sitting on the charger.  Again, I'm using terms that were common in the old AT&T/Bell telephone practices, where all phones in the house were connected.

Does this make sense to anyone?  The concept of having to transfer a call you're on, to another phone (like in a business's PBX) is still rather foreign to me.

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Hi Rob:

Please clarify:  you are describing what sounds to me like an OBi 100 that has a cordless phone base station plugged into it, and several cordless handsets associated with that base station.  Is that correct, or did you mean something else, for example, your OBi is connected to your house telephone wiring?

If you are describing the cordless phone scenario, then the answer has nothing to do with your OBi.  You'd need to consult the instructions for your cordless phone system and find out how to do that.  There's likely a key to press to transfer the call to another handset, or to conference two handsets together.

RobN

Hi SteveInWA,

Yes, that's the correct scenario:  A cordless phone base station plugged into it, and several cordless handsets associated with that base station.

Though the phone has an hardware intercom system, there is no option to transfer the call to another handset.  It is not a VOIP phone either, just a 2.4gHz wireless phone that is in common usage with landlines today.  Those that were alive when Bell provided phones can relate to how the system worked before VOIP.  When more than one person wanted to talk to someone already on the phone, you'd simple go to another phone around the house and pick it up.

So what you are saying is, if the firmware isn't built into the phone system to pick up a line, or transfer a call in the home, it can't be done?  Hmmm, well, I guess I'll see if I can find some documentation on the cordless phones. 

Er...that would actually explain why I can't find any information on this.  But, I would think more people would be asking about this?  I can't seem to find *any* traffic on this simple question.

RobN

OK - I'm a dunce.

I found the manual, and all I had to do was press Talk/Flash to pick up a call already in progress.  I thought I had already tried that and it wouldn't work.  Maybe that was on an old phone system that I used ages ago.  Well,  anyway.  Hopefully, this will inspire others to try it on their phones.

Thanks, SteveInWA, for the helpful advice.  I would consider this issue closed.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RobN on June 03, 2017, 06:15:10 PM
OK - I'm a dunce.

I found the manual, and all I had to do was press Talk/Flash to pick up a call already in progress.  I thought I had already tried that and it wouldn't work.  Maybe that was on an old phone system that I used ages ago.  Well,  anyway.  Hopefully, this will inspire others to try it on their phones.

Thanks, SteveInWA, for the helpful advice.  I would consider this issue closed.

Yup.  From the telephone's standpoint, it has no idea if it is plugged into an old copper analog telephone line, or a VoIP  adapter.  It's a standard telephone circuit, and the phone works the same way as it would if it was plugged into the "Bell System" of yesteryear.