News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiLine PSTN No Audio and No Dial Tone after 2 days

Started by TLKSAN, June 06, 2017, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLKSAN

Hi everyone,

I recently added ObiLine PSTN adapter to my Obi202 and connected my Cox Cable PSTN line coming out of my cable modem. 

The line works fine for a few days then I get no dial tone and no audio.  If you call the line it rings but when you answer it you have no audio.  Likewise if I hit # to grab the PSTN dial tone I also get silence. 

I can dial out using the SIP connections no problem and if I plug a phone directly into my Cox Cable modem I get dial tone.  Seem the issue is with the ObiLine adapter.  If I unplug the adapter and pug it back in that fixes the problem or I can do a full reboot on the Obi202 and that also fixes the problem.

So either I have a defective ObiLine adapter or I have some setting incorrect. 

On the settings I have everything related to line voltage, tip-ring etc. all set to default and have never touched them.   I did extend the silence detection to 600 seconds because the line was getting cutoff on conference calls.  but hook flash and disconnect detection are all set to default. 

My line voltage looks good on the PSTN line, it's at -50v onhook and seems to be consistent. 

I suspect if this is a config issue i might need to tweak the disconnect detection settings or something in that realm? 

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tim

ProfTech

I have an ObiLine adapter and Obi200 but have only experimented with them. Use of the adapter has been reported with varying results so using it may be a bit of a gamble. Make sure you have the latest firmware in the 202. Version 5657 is the latest. However a couple of things to check; Is there a port status screen in the 202? Check the status of both the LINE port and the PHONE port. It sort of sounds like Cox might think the LINE is off hook and after a few minutes will stop sending dial tone and shut the line down. At least that is the way a standard ATT line works. Make sure LINE status says "ON Hook" and loop current should be zero.

drgeoff

Put a jack doubler between the Cox cable modem and the OBiLINE so that you can have a phone connected in parallel with the OBiLINE on the Cox line.  You don't need to leave a phone plugged in there all the time but when the OBiLINE is not giving you Cox dial tone, plug a phone in to the doubler (without unplugging the OBiLINE) and see if it has dial tone when taken off-hook.

If no, then something is 'deactivating' the Cox line.  If yes, the Cox line is fine and something is up with the OBi/OBiLINE.

TLKSAN

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize Obi stopped pushing updates to the devices so I was a few versions behind on firmware.

I agree it sounds like a disconnect issue and could be the Cox line going silent after being off hook for a long period of time, though I would have thought silence detection would have caught that after the 600 seconds I have it set to.

I will keep an eye on it and use the line splitter troubleshooting method to see if the Cox line is silent next time it happens.