News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 202 died out-of-the blue sometime between 2017-06-04 and 2017-06-07

Started by rjt69, June 07, 2017, 11:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjt69

Obihai 202 was working fine until this week. 
Now, there is no dialtone on the handsets. 
The obitalk.com portal says it is just fine and connected (just like last time, kinda worthless).
SP1 is "Connected" via Google Voice. 
SP2 is "Registered" to Vitelity.net ITSP. 

rjt69

I have already reset power.
I have already restarted the internet gateway and then restarted the Obihai 202 again.

There have been no electrical disturbances and we have whole house electrical and internet lightning protection.

Further, the Obitalk.com website "Call OBI" call widget results in "No Gateway Configured".  (See attached).

drgeoff

Working OBis give dial tone even without services configured.  Even without anything plugged in to the ethernet jack.

Are your phones plugged directly into the 202 or do you have house phone wiring attached to the 202?

You wrote 'handsets' ie more than one.  Are you using both PHONE jacks on the 202 or only 1?  Are your phones corded or cordless?

With nothing plugged in to the 202's phone ports what is shown on your equivalent of the attached screenshot?  (We don't need to know the Last Caller Info.)

rjt69

"Phone Port Status" with nothing plugged-in to phone ports.  Looks the same with phone ports plugged in to house wiring. 
Phone ports are plugged into house wiring.
Phones are both corded and cordless.
Port Two is plugged-in to house wiring but not really used because the the Obihai takes care of my Vitelity.net ITSP SIP phone number.

rjt69

The Physical Interfaces has some red exclamation points:

HVICPowerThreshold
ChannelTxGain
ChannelRxGain

(screenshots attached)

rjt69

Ok, i unplugged the house telephone lines and plugged-in a phone directly and it worked after another reboot.  

When i plug in HouseLinePair1, it works.
When i plug in HouseLinePair2, trouble starts.

However, with only HouseLinePair1 plugged-in, the Physical Interfaces screen still has red exclamation points in the same places:

HVICPowerThreshold
ChannelTxGain
ChannelRxGain

Hard to imagine how the house wiring could have changed, but i bet there is something broken in the jack of my
Open House H616 4 X 6 Telephone Master Hub
Link: http://a.co/dSdDXdZ

Obihai said to return this device, but will wait a few days and make sure this is working.

drgeoff

1.  I suspect that your house wiring is not properly disconnected from the outside world and something eg on a telco line has changed.  Just because a phone line pair is not in service does not guarantee that it will not be exposed to local office battery or ringing voltage.  I'm in the UK so am not familiar with USA wiring practices and cannot advise further on specifics of demarc points.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12735.msg81796#msg81796 may be helpful. Not having the house wiring disconnected risks damaging OBi PHONE ports.

If you are certain that the house wiring is not connected to the external world, unplug all the phones throughout the house and look again for around 50 volts against the phone ports on the GUI page.  If it is there, plug in one phone at time and check each time.  You may have a faulty mains powered phone/base.  If no volts when all phones unplugged but only house wiring plugged in to the OBi then you have a wiring fault.

2.  The red exclamation marks mean that the values of those parameters are changed from the defaults, probably by configuration on the Obitalk portal.  You can see if that is the case by entering Expert mode on the portal and navigating to those settings.  Are the tick boxes in the 'Obitalk Settings' column empty?

3.  As an aside you may not be aware that the PHONE1 jack on a 202 is actually wired internally for PHONE1 and PHONE2.  The two centre pins (3,4) are PHONE1 and pins 2,5 are PHONE2. Those 2,5 are hard wired across to 3,4 of the PHONE 2 jack. Mainly intended to plug a 2-line phone directly into a 202 using a single phone cord.