News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I add my cell phone?

Started by washbush, June 08, 2017, 01:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washbush

Hi folks,

I have managed to confuse myself so I am asking for some help.  I have a Google voice number that is working just fine.  I have a Obi202 also.  I have the Obi202 plugged in properly, but I do not have a landline phone.  I only have a cell phone.  My cell phone has a totally different number than my Google Voice number.  My Google Voice number is ported to Google Voice.  At the moment any call to my Google Voice number goes directly to voice mail and is sent to me as an email message.  That is perfect.  (I am hearing disabled but I can still read!)

Is it possible to add my cell phone (iPhone 6s Plus) as a second phone (or a first phone) to my Obi202?  I would like my cell phone to perform in the same way as my Google Voice number.

Thank You very much.

John
Bloomington, Indiana

drgeoff

Not directly.

However if you can get Obion for iOS to work satisfactorily on your iPhone it is possible to 'home' the phone on to the OBi so that calls to your GV number and thence to the OBi get forwarded to the phone and calls made from the Obion app on the phone go through the OBi and thence call out on your GV account.

I don't, on principle, have anything designed by Apple so cannot advise if the Obion app is still available, if it still works with later versions of iOS or how well it works if it does.

Surely easier to spend $10 on a bargain basement landline type corded phone.  Or try to use Google Hangouts on iOS and sell your redundant OBi.

Taoman

Quote from: washbush on June 08, 2017, 01:07:53 PM
At the moment any call to my Google Voice number goes directly to voice mail and is sent to me as an email message.  That is perfect.  (I am hearing disabled but I can still read!)
I'm confused. If you're hearing disabled and don't have a phone plugged into your OBi then what function is your OBi currently doing for you?

Quote from: washbushIs it possible to add my cell phone (iPhone 6s Plus) as a second phone (or a first phone) to my Obi202?  I would like my cell phone to perform in the same way as my Google Voice number.

Are you saying you want calls made directly to your cell phone to go to Google Voice voicemail so they can be emailed to you? If so, do the following:

1>Add your cell phone to your Google Voice account as another forwarding number
2>Once verified, click on Edit button for the cell phone and click on Show Advanced Settings and under Forwarding Options select "Go straight to voicemail."
You will also need to click on the "Activate" hot link to configure your cell phone to forward unanswered calls to your Google Voice number. This assumes your cell provider supports CCF (conditional call forwarding).

Edit: Or are you saying you want all calls made to your cell phone to be forwarded to your Google voice voicemail? If so, then you wouldn't make the cell phone forwarding be conditional. For instance, if your cell carrier was Verizon it would be *72-GV number.