News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 encryption

Started by Geokat, June 20, 2017, 06:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geokat

Does the Obi202 use encryption to connect with the SIP server
What is the voice security over the internet?

drgeoff

SRTP can be enabled on the OBi202 but my understanding is that few Service Providers support it.

Generally speaking, POTS is easier to tap and is less secure than VoIP.

Geokat

SteveInWA

No.

You'd need end-to-end support (both the originating and terminating service providers).

On a related note, Google Hangouts calls, from one Hangouts client, to another, are encrypted.  This is made possible by not using the Public Switched Telephone Network at all.

Geokat

OBi support is claiming that "all communications between OBi device and SIP service (i.e. Google Voice) are encrypted".     

Does the Obi202 connect to OBI and OBI to GV?

drgeoff

Quote from: Geokat on June 21, 2017, 01:36:19 PM
OBi support is claiming that "all communications between OBi device and SIP service (i.e. Google Voice) are encrypted".    

Does the Obi202 connect to OBI and OBI to GV?
While I have high regard for the design and development people at Obihai, that does not extend to their current technical support.

The IP packets go from your OBi device to GV's servers.  Obihai's server(s) are not even aware that the GV call is in progress.

(BTW GV does not use SIP.)

Geokat

What does the GV use?

Do you know if the GV supports encryption?

Taoman

Quote from: Geokat on June 22, 2017, 06:17:50 AM
What does the GV use?

Do you know if the GV supports encryption?

Google Voice uses XMPP/Jingle. TLS is supported but I don't believe SRTP is so media is not encrypted.

SteveInWA

Google Voice is a PSTN-based service; calls traverse the regular telephone network.  They are not encrypted.

As I mentioned earlier, Google Voice's companion service, Hangouts, is end-to-end encrypted, via TLS.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 22, 2017, 02:06:50 PM
Google Voice is a PSTN-based service; calls traverse the regular telephone network.  They are not encrypted.
Was referring to path between OBi device and Google Voice gateway which does use TLS since Google deprecated SSLv3.

Quote from: SteveInWAAs I mentioned earlier, Google Voice's companion service, Hangouts, is end-to-end encrypted, via TLS.

Although Hangouts does use encryption it definitely isn't "end-to-end encrypted" the way Apple's iMessage and Facetime are.

Quote from: 9to5Google.comFollowing a Reddit AMA on government surveillance, Google has admitted that while it does encrypt Hangouts conversations, it does not use end-to-end encryption, meaning the company itself can tap into those sessions when it receives a government court order requiring it to do so. This contrasts with the end-to-end encryption used by some services, like Apple's FaceTime, which cannot be tapped even by the company offering the service.

https://9to5google.com/2015/05/12/google-hangouts-security/

SteveInWA

Asking and answering this subject piecemeal is pointless.   Why are you asking, and what is your use case?

Bottom line, if you want end-to-end, fully encrypted conversations, do not use the PSTN, and use a pure VoIP solution that has the capability to encrypt the entire call path.

Geokat

The Google Talk supports SRTP for media encryption, which supports the crypto-suites of AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32 and AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_80 as described in RFC 3711.

GV also supports "G722", "EG711U", "EG711A" and RTP

https://developers.google.com/talk/call_signaling