News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Second GV Line not recognized, configuration error? - Obi202

Started by GoIrish02, June 26, 2017, 10:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoIrish02

I have 2 distinct GV accounts that I want to configure to work with a 2-line capable VTech phone system (2 handsets + answering machine base).  GV1 (SP1) and Anveo 911 (SP2) are already configured and work normally, through an Obi202. 

I cannot get the second line GV2 (configured to SP3 with its own distinct Google voice line/account) to be recognized by the phone system through the Obitalk online configuration tool. Both handsets reflect  "NO LINE" on the displays for the second line and I cannot make calls from the GV2 account. I believe I can receive calls to the GVs line (SP3) if I dial it specifically from my cell phone.  GV1 (SP1) and E911 (SP2) service work fine for incoming & outgoing calls otherwise.

I have the primary outgoing lines set to the respective GV numbers and they are configured without any apparent error in my dashboard. Any incoming call to (SP1/SP2/SP3) should ring all handsets.

Please let me know how to best configure the system to have 2 distinct GV lines available for full use on either handset, and/or best ways to differentiate (e.g. set different ringers) if possible too.

drgeoff

The 'NO LINE' on the handsets is totally unconnected with the configuration of the OBi.  It simply means that the handsets are not seeing the 48 volts that should be present on the phone cord when off-hook.

What is the V-Tech model number? How many and what type of cords are connecting it to the 202?

The PHONE1 jack on an OBi202 is wired* to support a 2-line phone (or base) using a single cord that contains 4 (or 6) wires.  If using that and a phone that also supports 2-line through one of two jacks, a second cable (to the PHONE2 jack of the 202) is unnecessary and could, if one cable was crossed, put a short across the PHONE2 circuit and be a possible reason for 'NO LINE'.

Also, use of just one 2-conductor cable between the OBi and the phone can never give you 2 working lines.

(*On the jack the centre two pins (3 and 4) are wired for the PHONE1 line.  Pins 2 and 5 are wired for the second line.  They are directly connected inside the 202 to pins 3 and 4 on the PHONE2 jack.)

GoIrish02

Vtech model numbers: DS6151 (base & handset), DS6101 (handset)

I've got 2 lines from the base unit above into the 202, L1 on the base to PHONE1 jack, L2 on the base to PHONE2 jack.

I can now make calls outgoing calls from both lines, however only GV1 (SP1) will send caller ID information, GV2 (SP3) will say "No Caller ID" or "Unknown" to the called number.

Incoming calls to GV1 (SP1) will now ring on both handsets, calls to GV2 (SP3) will not go through. 

Any advice on how to make the second line functional as a distinct line is appreciated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GoIrish02 on August 23, 2017, 08:08:23 PM
Vtech model numbers: DS6151 (base & handset), DS6101 (handset)

I've got 2 lines from the base unit above into the 202, L1 on the base to PHONE1 jack, L2 on the base to PHONE2 jack.

I can now make calls outgoing calls from both lines, however only GV1 (SP1) will send caller ID information, GV2 (SP3) will say "No Caller ID" or "Unknown" to the called number.

Incoming calls to GV1 (SP1) will now ring on both handsets, calls to GV2 (SP3) will not go through. 

Any advice on how to make the second line functional as a distinct line is appreciated.

So, you resolved the "no line" issue?

RE:  the second Google Voice configuration not sending caller ID:  this symptom indicates that you configured SP3 with a Google/Gmail account that doesn't have its own, inbound Google Voice number.  Those accounts can make outbound calls, showing no caller ID, since there is no number to display.  They can't be called, either,  for the same reason.

Log into the OBiTALK web portal and look at the Gmail address associated with SP3.  If it is obviously wrong, then correct it.  If you can't figure it out, then log into your Google account using that Gmail address, and go to the Google Voice settings page.  It needs to display a valid, working inbound Google Voice number.

GoIrish02

Apparently, the second GV2 number was deactivated by Google from lack of use(!), so your assessment is correct below that GV2 no longer had an assigned number.  I will choose a new number for GV2 and reconfigure.  I imagine I will be able to differentiate the 2 functioning numbers with different ringers once I assign a new GV number for GV2.

If I would have fixed the 'No Line' issue sooner, I would have been able to use the GV2 number regularly. Obviously we don't use the second line very much at all, so it may not be a big deal.  I am upset with myself because I had 2 consecutive GV numbers (555-5299, 555-5290) and now the second one is gone!

I will try to reclaim the GV2 if still available. Any advice or experience on reclaimin an expired GV number?  

SteveInWA

If you weren't using the number, it seems silly to try to recover or replace it.  But...

You have only 30 days to recover a number, after it has been reclaimed for lack of use.  During that period, follow the instructions linked below.  After 30 days, you can't reclaim the number; it goes into a "cooling off pool" for a few months, to avoid a new user getting calls for the old user, and then it gets returned to the general pool of available numbers.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/159519?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124