News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 Busy Tone

Started by denverguy, June 28, 2017, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denverguy

I've had my OBi200 for over a year now (that's why I can't ask their support team).  It has been working fine up until a few days ago.  The last out going call I was able to make was on June 18th and since then I have been getting a busy tone when I attempt to make ANY outgoing calls.  I was still able to receive calls but just not make them.  I tried the **9 222-222-222 call and still was only getting a busy signal.  I tried several things but still am not able to get it to work.  I tried to delete the OBi200 from the devices on the website and did a factory reset to it as per the instructions on here but now I can't even add it again because when I call the **9 number with the random 4 to register it I just get a busy tone...  Any clues on how I could fix this?  My 11 year old is going crazy as it's summer and she can't call her friends because I won't get her a cell phone and this is her ONLY lifeline to the world.  Thank you for anything you're able to provide

SteveInWA

You shouldn't be getting a busy tone, unless you have a hardware problem with the OBi or with the telephone(s) that are plugged into it.

Plug in only ONE hardwired or cordless telephone, directly into the OBi's phone jack, using a modular phone cord.  Do not plug it into your home's phone wiring.  Pick up the phone.  Do you get a dial tone?  If so, key in ***1 and then listen.  Does a female voice read back the OBi's IP address?  If not, it's likely broken.

If she does read the IP address, enter it into your web browser.  If it prompts you for a user name and password, enter admin and admin, respectively.  You should now see the main configuration web page.

On the left menu bar, click Status, then PHONE port status.  You should see a table of values.  Post them here, in your reply.

denverguy

Port Statushelp
Parameter Name   PHONE1 Port
State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   56 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   --

SteveInWA

Now, pick up the phone, refresh the web page, and look again at the voltages (you will need to quickly navigate back to the PHONE port section).  It should now show "Off hook", with lower voltages, in the range of 18V and 7-12V.  If it does, then that telephone and the OBi are electrically OK.  Now, hang up, pick up the phone again, and call **9 222 222 222 and hear what happens?  You should hear a man say "Welcome to OBiTALK...."

If not, have you recently changed anything at all with your internet service (new modem, new router, changed DNS)?

denverguy

Port Statushelp
Parameter Name   PHONE1 Port
State   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   20 mA
VBAT   14 V (11.9 V)
TipRingVoltage   6 V
LastCallerInfo   --

And we did have something weird happen with the internet where the wired was working just fine but the wifi stopped working and I reset the router but I didn't change anything from when it was set up just reset it

denverguy

Oh and sorry I tried to call the **9 222-222-222 and once again I get a busy signal.... if I hit talk and wait for the dial tone and then hit **9 it's giving me the busy signal before I can even hit the 9, if I hit **9 222-222-222 and then talk so it dials quick it finishes dialing and then a few seconds pass and then the busy signal.   

SteveInWA

So, the values look ok.

Unplug the telephone you are using, and then try plugging in and using a different telephone entirely.  What happens?

You said you "reset" the router.  What do you mean, exactly?  Did you factory reset it to the defaults, or did you simply unplug it and plug it in again.  Please be more complete and verbose with your answers, so we don't have to exchange so many posts.

denverguy

I unplugged the router, restarted it and then went into it like I was setting it up all over again.  I only have the one phone here that I can use with the OBi200 so I'm unable to try a different phone.  I have done a "factory reset" to the OBi200 and deleted it from the account.....   So I tried to disconnect it all (phone and OBi200 box) and reconnect it and it worked with the **9 222-222-222 echo test and then I was able to register it and make a call to my cell phone and everything worked fine.... then the power light turned red and started flashing, stopped and turned green and then green started flashing and now it seems almost as if it's cycling though being in use (when no one is on the phone) and no line available....... but everytime I go to make a call it goes through now, maybe the phone just needed reset as well? Thanks for your help

SteveInWA

I have no idea what happened.

Are you saying that a) it works now, and b) it went through some blinking LED gyrations, but now, when you use it, it's working properly?  I can't see how the device would work now, if you factory reset it, unless you also reconfigured the OBi's service provider(s)??

denverguy

I'm not really sure either, I did the factory reset to the box as it told me to on here where you take a paperclip and push the button on the bottom as you plug it in and hold it until the red light from the power turns green and then does it's thing.  I then acted like I was setting it up for the first time and added it to the account and linked it to my gmail voice account and now it seems to be working.  I can't try to receive calls on it because I have it set up where I can't receive calls after 8:30 but will give it a try tomorrow and see how that goes.  Thanks again for your help

SteveInWA

OK, then; you DID reconfigure Google Voice.  It should work properly now.  Good luck with your daughter; I am surprised she even uses the telephone, given that most kids now only text or use Instagram or Snapchat, etc!

GeeObi

You can put it into the busy signal mode by dialing *72 then a phone number.
It is then stuck in the busy signal mode even if a reboot is done.
Take it out of that mode with *73.