News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Plantronics Headset with 1062

Started by super, June 26, 2017, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

super

I purchased a Plantronics HW251 headset with Plantronics U10P-S adapter cable for the Obi 1062 RJ9 headset connector. There is no microphone output from the headset at any gain setting on the phone, so I'm stuck. The earphone works properly. I called Plantronics and verified that this headset/cable are correct for the Obihai 1062.

Has anyone else successfully used an H-series Plantronics headset with the 1032 or 1062? What adapter cable did you use?  Thanks for any help.

SteveInWA

Hi:

I recommend that you contact Obihai directly for support with this issue, since they've tested various headsets and may be able to tell you what works and what doesn't work.

Aside from that, you might have been misinformed; I think that headset requires a Plantronics M22 amplifier between the headset and the phone.

super

Thanks Steve, I may have it figured out.
Obihai has a list of recommended headsets: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/obi-ip-phone/obi-phone-headsets
My headset/cable is there for "OBi Phone HW v1.3 and below"
But my 1062 is HW Version 1.4, so my H-series headset requires a Plantronics A10 cable, not the U10P-S cable.
I ordered that cable and will try it and report back.

The M22 amp isn't required since a mic amp is built into the Obi1000 series phones.

SteveInWA

Yah, when I looked at the Plantronics website earlier, I saw that there were two, very similar cables, with ambiguous explanations about which to use in which situation.  Glad you figured it out.  When you get the replacement cable, there are settings on the OBiTALK web portal, in "Expert configuration" mode, that allow you to adjust the volume, and to select the default thing to use for calls (headset vs. handset).  Note that settings are in a very illogical place ("User Settings --> User Preferences"), vs. where I'd expect to find them, in the "IP Phone" section.

I'm using a Jabra headset with EHS, but you'll use the same settings to tweak your headset's audio.  Also note that there are three different sections of headset settings; "Headset", which is the modular RJ-9 jack you are using, and "Headset35mm", which controls the round jack on the side of the phone, and "HeadsetBT" for Bluetooth headsets.

super

Just an update, received the A10 cable today and it is the correct cable, not the Plantronics U10P-S cable. I was given the wrong information from Amazon, Plantronics, and headsetplus.com. Obihai FAQ page is correct for my HW version.

Now the question is should I keep the Plantronics headset? A $15 Panasonic headset using the 3.5mm connector sounds every bit as good as the $75 Plantronics headset/cable.

SteveInWA

Only you can decide that.  Personally, I spent decades working desk jobs, in sales, project management, technical support and people management.  My corded headsets saved my neck and increased my productivity, but the far better solution was a cordless headset, with either a remote handset lifter or EHS.  Good ones are very expensive, but the ability to get up, walk around, stretch, go get coffee, go pull a file out of a cabinet, etc, is well worth it.

super

Thanks Steve, good advice. I do have BT headsets, a Plantronics in the ear and a Blue Parrot over the head styles. I went corded after finding that BT on the 1062 has some issues. It's often slow to connect or requires toggling the device to connect. And if BT is enabled but not connected the phone's display will never timeout and turn off. Apparently the little BT icon flashing is enough to keep the display alive, and that's a problem at night.

SteveInWA

Yah, Bluetooth isn't a good solution; aside from the issues you mentioned, the audio quality is sub-par.

I was describing DECT 6.0 wireless headsets.  I use the Jabra 9470, but it's the pricey "Mercedes of headsets".  Jabra makes cheaper models in the 9400 line, too.  Plantronics and Sennheiser also make similar products.  These headsets support wideband audio, and have a far greater radio range and battery life.  The sound is as good as a professional/commercial-grade corded headset.

Hello Direct is the online merchant that has the widest product range of both corded and cordless headsets; their prices may not be the lowest, but they also have excellent, knowledgeable customer support, both pre-sales and post-sales.

Anyhow, this gets into 10-20 times the price of a $15 consumer-grade corded headset; you get what you pay for.