News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Outbound Not Working After Years

Started by Michael_Reeder, July 05, 2017, 02:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Reeder

Hi All,

I have attempted to find this answer on the forum - did not see exactly what's happening with me posted.

I have an Obi202.  I have Future-Nine working on line 1, Concentric working fine on line 3.

I have Google Voice on line 2 and it had been working fine for a few years.

I have rebooted the Obi device and its up-to-date.

Some weeks (?) ago I stopped being able to place outgoing calls on Google Voice line 2.  The phone rings once or twice, and then I get a hang-up and a dial tone. 

Incoming calls work fine I think - at least from my Verizon cell phone and from Concentric.  (GV does not ring when placed from Future-Nine, but F9 is a bit spotty sometimes - different issue. I can reach GV voicemail.)

Oddly - I *CAN* call my Verizon cell phone without a problem.  Today I tried another Verizon cell phone, a few VoIP phone numbers, and other phone numbers for computer voice mail and fax -- nothing works but my cell phone on outbound calls!     :o

I should mention that my Internet connection is T-Mobile.  There have been a few threads elsewhere on T-Mobile/GV issues lately from Android smart phones. Not sure if this is relevant.

??? ??? ???

Thanks,
Michael

Michael_Reeder

Okay - so I actually have this Google Voice number on 3 devices:

#1: Obi202 at office location #1: T-Mobile Broadband Internet
#2: Obi100 at home: Comcast Cable Internet
#3: Obi202 at office location #2: T-Mobile Broadband Internet

Until recently it had been behaving everywhere for months.

I tested the #2 Obi100 Google Voice service at home over Comcast July 5th evening.  *SAME PROBLEM*.  So I do not think T-Mobile has anything to do with this.  We are back to looking at Obi and Google Voice for the answers.

Today 7/7/17 I tested #3 Obi202 with Google Voice and it *IS WORKING*.

Hmmm... So an Obi202 and an Obi100 stopped working, but one of my three devices is still working...

So now I'll have to test at #2 home and #1 office again and see if the problem has cleared up everywhere...

-- Michael

Michael_Reeder

Back at office location one (#1) today - Google Voice still not working.   Still rings and then gets a hang-up and dial-tone.  :-\

Recalled that there is the Obitalk network... so I called into my Obi202 unit at office two (#3 in message above) and called out through Google Voice - again no problem.

So, simultaneously, I have #1 Obi202 not working with Google Voice and #3 Obi202 working fine with Google Voice.  Both have worked for a few years and both are on the same Internet service provider.

As far as I know I had changed nothing...  

I just tried deleting and reconfiguring the Google Voice service on the offending unit - this seemed successful and once again it lists as "connected" in the control panel...  But no luck with it actually working.  

Just experimented to see if maybe Google Voice is now only allowing one Obi to connect to the same account (my home Obi unit is offline today).  Deleted #3 office location two and rebooted #1 office location one.  This did not help.  Reconfigured #3 office location two to utilize Google Voice again - this restored #3 Obi202 to working correctly.  #1 Obi202 remains non-functional.

:'(

- Michael

sjmyst

Hi Michael,

I also have an OBi202 that stopped working over the last few days (3 or 4?).

I also use Google Voice and did not change anything.

Here is some stuff I did on another thread:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12802.0

Maybe you can look at the two places I'm seeing "Authentication errors" on the OBi202 web page and the OBiTalk device configuration and see if you are seeing similar errors?

Since you have two OBI202s, one that is working and another that isn't I was wondering what firmware you might be on.  If your broken OBi202 and my broken OBi202 are on the same firmware or same hardware, that might be a clue.

For my OBi202, I can see my firmware/hardware by entering the IP address of my OBi202 on my home network into a browser.  I think you have to log in.  You might have to set up a password or something if you haven't done this before.  I can't remember how that works the first time.

Anyway, once logged into your OBi202's home page, click on the "Status->System Status" on the left panel and scroll down to the "Product Information" section.  Under there I see the following for my OBi202:

HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5679EX)

What does your broken OBi202 say for those values?

Regards,
sjmyst

Michael_Reeder

Hi sjmyst:

We can also obtain this info from the expert configuration area of the obi dashboard account without logging into the individual routers.

The information for my broken #1 Obi202 is:

• HardwareVersion   1.4
    SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

The information for my working #3 Obi202 is:

• HardwareVersion   1.4      help
    SoftwareVersion   3.1.1 (Build: 5463EX)

Yup - They are the same.   ???

While we are at it, here's the info for my broken #2 Obi100 at home:

• HardwareVersion   3.4
    SoftwareVersion   1.3.0 (Build: 2886)

I'll go look at your other thread and see what else I can try. 

Thank you for your help.

-- Michael

Michael_Reeder

Looking at the other symyst thread:

I don't get played a recorded message on outbound calls - it just hangs up after one ring and I get dial tone.

My SP2 Configurations (where I use Google Voice) say "Connected" on all three devices whether or not outbound calling is working.

Yes - I can log into and out of the Google account through a web browser.  As previously mentioned, I have deleted and reconnected my GV accounts to both Obi202 routers.

Looks like I have tried the rest of the suggestions there, including SteveInWA Google Voice primer...

I've logged onto the webpage of my #2 Obi100 home device (since I'm there right now) and am looking around for anything maybe useful...

Under call history I see what looks like a successful call with "Call Connected" and the same start and end time for the call.  This is for a failed call that just hung up on me.

Under call history I also see a 3 second call that might have been a successful call on 4/30/17.  On 5/1/17 is a "call connected" with NO time elapsed that likely failed. 

If I go under "Voice Services", "SIP Credentials" I see old wrong "AuthUserName" and "AuthPassword" information from a different VoIP phone provider I used to use.  From discussion in another thread I don't believe this matters at all as Google Voice uses a different authentication mechanism through the Obitalk panel.  Sure enough - when I go into the same area on my WORKING Obi202 device, the old wrong info is there.  So I don't think this matters at all...

I'm out of ideas again. 

-- Michael

sjmyst

Michael,

From what another user on my other thread says, it sounds like you're right about the user/pass on the device.  Seems to use different authentication now.

BTW, my stuff just started magically working.

You can read about it more in my other thread.  But, basically I just needed to take a break.  So, I left with it broken, and came back to it working.

We did have a storm and a power outage.  So, the device did get a power reset.  I can't imagine that helping.  Especially since I had rebooted the device MANY times before that.  But, it was probably the first time I physically removed power.  So, there you go...

The only thing I can think is that either my activity to delete my device on OBiTalk and recreated it EVENTUALLY worked (maybe something needed to be distributed?).  Or, maybe nothing was really wrong (nothing had really changed), and somebody kicked something at OBiHAI or GV to make things work again.

Hopefully things started working for your also.  Best of luck!

Let me know if you want me to try anything to compare to my situation.  But, it really sounds like you've got something else going on there.

Regards,
sjmyst

sjmyst

Re-reading your symptoms made me think about the Echo Test feature.  I'm not sure if it will give you anything more than what you already know.  But, here's a link just in case it might help:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0

Regards,
sjmyst

Michael_Reeder

sjmyst,

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.  Glad your phones are working.

No luck - my stuff is still broken this morning.

Just played around with echo test.  My broken #1 Obi202 is able to complete the echo test just fine.

-- Michael

drgeoff

It is known (and accepted as not a bug) that although you can have multiple OBi20x devices working on the same GV number, having an OBi1x0 device in the mix can result in not all devices working.  Exactly what happens can depend on the order in which devices power up and contact the GV server.
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11143.msg73648#msg73648

You mention working fine for some years.  In the summer of 2014 Google changed the authorisation protocol.  You can no longer configure GV by entering your GV username and password in either the Obitalk portal or the devices's web server.  Are you definitely using the new procedure on all the OBis?

Michael_Reeder

drgeoff,

I am attempting to work around the problem you are discussing by moving my home obi100 to a different Google Voice number so that only my two obi202 units are sharing the offending Google Voice number.

I keep forgetting to test my obi100 when I am at home so that I can fully report back - will get back with you shortly.  Thanks.  (I can't test remotely as the obitalk network connection to access obi100 remotely is not working.  Another issue... sigh.)

Yes - all units are on the new procedure for provisioning with Google Voice.

-- Michael

Michael_Reeder

drgeoff:

I have reinstalled a different Google Voice number on my Obi100 so that it no longer shares Google Voice with the Obi202s.  The problem remains.

#1: Obi202 does not work correctly with GV number, while #3: Obi202 DOES work just fine with the same GV number.

#2: Obi100 continues to have the same problems with GV - but on its own different GV number and account.

(Incidently #1: Obi202 & #2: Obi100 also can't call each other over the Obitalk (**9) network.  Reason 488 service provider rejection.  Both CAN **9 the #3: Obi202 device just fine.  No idea if related or a coincidence.  Huh.)

-- Michael