News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice set up as a Voice Gateway- possible?

Started by neilio, August 03, 2011, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilio

First of all, be gentle - I just got my OBI100 yesterday and got it setup and working today.

From what I've read it seems like it's possible to have more than 2 providers setup on an OBI100 via (correct me if I'm wrong here) voice gateways. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to use a voice gateway for outgoing Google Voice calls only.

If so, can anyone point me to info on how I actually do this?

I currently have 2 SIP providers on my device - SIP1 is callcentric and SIP2 is voip.ms.

Help?

RonR

SIP providers can be used on Voice Gateways, but Google Voice cannot.

neilio

If I set up a SIP account on a voice gateway (say moving my VOIP.ms account from SIP2) can I still receive incoming phone calls for that service?

RonR

Quote from: neilio on August 03, 2011, 07:02:35 PM
If I set up a SIP account on a voice gateway (say moving my VOIP.ms account from SIP2) can I still receive incoming phone calls for that service?

To use a SIP provider on a Voice Gateway to make outgoing calls, that SIP provider must accept outgoing calls without SIP registration (many do).  To receive incoming calls from a SIP provider that's not on SP1/SP2, you can forward those calls to the OBi via SIP URI.

neilio

Thanks for the speedy replies! It's appreciated.

I found this thread which covers the setup process:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "forward via SIP URL" - is this a change I make on the VOIP.ms side or on the OBI side?

RonR

Quote from: neilio on August 03, 2011, 07:10:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "forward via SIP URL" - is this a change I make on the VOIP.ms side or on the OBI side?

It's SIP URI (uri).

On VoIP.ms, you'd set your incoming calls to be forward to: anything@ipaddress:port

where ipaddress is your public IP address and port is: SP1 = 5060 / SP2 = 5061 (whichever is still configured for SIP).

RonR

You may have to forward ports 5060 - 5061 to the OBi in your router for incoming SIP URI's to work reliably.

neilio

You are awesome.

Does the SIP URI have to be an IP address or can I use a TLD there?

RonR

It can be an IP address or hostname that resolves to your IP address, for example : myobi@myname.dyndns.org:5061