News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

My OBI202 stopped working (can't send/rcv calls) authorization error...

Started by sjmyst, July 09, 2017, 10:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmyst

Hi,

I can no longer receive/make any calls.  When I try to make an outgoing call, I get the error message said to me "GV service connection error if you recently changed your Google account password please log into obitalk.com and change it there as well".

I did not change my Google account's password that I'm using for Google Voice.

I went ahead and tried to reconfirm my Google account that I'm using for GV by going into OBiTalk, going to my Dashboard, clicking on SP1 (where I have GV configured), clicking the link "Click Here to connect the OBi with your active Google Account", and following the directions to Accept my Google Account that I use for GV.  I was logged into my Google Account that I use for GV when I did all of that.

After I completed the steps to "reconnect" to my GV account, it takes me back to my SP1 configuration where I press "Save" just in case.  Up to this point I don't see any errors in these previous steps.

After pressing "Save", it takes me back to my "Device Configuration" where it says next to SP1, "Backing Off : Authentication error".

I have logged out of my GV account and manually logged back in retyping my password and it works.

I have also gone to my OBi202 device homepage using the IP of my OBi202 device.  From there I have gone to the "Voice Services" tab on the left, and to "SP1 Service", and I have scrolled down to the "SIP Credentials" and I have re-entered my GV password, saved, and rebooted.

Still getting the same error on OBiTalk as described above.  I also can go to my OBi202 device "Status->System Status" screen and can scroll down to "SP1 Service Status" and can see the error "Backing Off (189s):Authentication error" (sometimes with a different number of seconds.

I have also gone to my OBiTalk device information page and removed SP1 (my Google Voice SP), and recreated it using the "Google Voice Set-up" button in the "Configure Voice Service Providers (SP)" section of the OBiTalk Device Information page.  That gave the same resulting error.

I have also gone into my GV setting into the "old" interface and do see that "Google Chat" is checked (although I'm thinking that shouldn't matter anymore since Google Chat was recently discontinued).

Not sure how long it's been this way.  I did see where GV shut down it's "Chat" service on June 26, 2017:

https://support.google.com/chat/?hl=en

However, I'm pretty sure the OBi202 was working last weekend (after the supposed Google Chat shutdown).  But, maybe they delayed a week?  I was under the impression that the OBi202 was updated to no longer require chat, but thought I'd mention it since the date is fairly close to when things stopped working.

Any ideas?  Anyone else experiencing this?

Regards,
sjmyst

drgeoff

1.  You wrote "I have also gone to my OBi202 device homepage using the IP of my OBi202 device.  From there I have gone to the "Voice Services" tab on the left, and to "SP1 Service", and I have scrolled down to the "SIP Credentials" and I have re-entered my GV password, saved, and rebooted."

Two problems there.  First is that entering your GV username and password into the Obi itself or the Obitalk portal cannot work.  Google introduced a different authentication scheme in 2014.  It does not use your GV password.  Second is that the new authentication method must be done via the portal.  it cannot be done by entering anything on the 202's web server GUI.

2.  Despite what you may have read about the demise of Chat, that is still the method that Obi devices use to interface with GV.  If you don't have 'Chat' ticked your 202 can never ring on incoming calls.

3.  Follow the instructions of SteveInWA. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

sjmyst

drgeoff,

Thank you very much for your responses. 

For #1, what I meant to say is that I use the Google user/pass for my "Google account that I'm using for GV".  I'm not aware of a separate password just for GV.  So, I'm using the gmail name like "myacct@gmail.com" as my user.  And, the password I use to log into that Google account.  It's what was working last week and I haven't changed it.

Also, for #1, I haven't logged into that account for months.  So, nothing should have changed.  Obviously something did change.  But, I'm not sure what yet.

Also, there is a field on my OBi202 that has my "Google account that I'm using for GV" gmail address and a separate field right below it for the password.  I'm assuming that is what is failing.  I tried changing there, and also changing on OBiTalk (which I assume is what you are saying I need to do when you say "the portal").  Neither helped.  My assumption would be if I changed it on the OBi202 (the way I think you are saying shouldn't work), that this field would be filled in again using the OBiTalk method.  But, maybe that's not a good assumption.

For #2, I'm surprised that Chat is still used.  Is that not a problem since Google just shut that down (like in the last 10 days)?  See:

https://support.google.com/chat/?hl=en

For #3, I have seen the post from SteveInWA and have done about half of it.  I'll continue to focus on that post now that you've pointed my to it as a possible solution.

Thanks again for your help, hopefully the SteveInWA post will eventually get me there.

Regards,
sjmyst

drgeoff

GV now uses an authorisation token.  Entering your Google account name and password in any fields on the Obitalk portal or on the device's local web interface will NOT work.

sjmyst

Well, after wasting most of the weekend trying to figure this out, I take a break and come back and now things are working fine.  I did completely delete the device on OBiTalk and recreate it.  So, maybe there is some delay in that getting distributed to some servers somewhere.  ??   Not sure. 

All I know is after all of my attempts, things were still giving the same authentication errors as I describe above.  After a 4 hour break, things are working again.

drgeoff, thank you again for the tips.  Your responses are very much appreciated and gave me confidence that the direction I was going (saving off all of my device info, deleting and recreating my device in OBiTalk) was in line with SteveInWA's suggestions.

BTW, while trying to follow the SteveInWA post, I got to the part where I should try and go to GMail and just use chat to make a call from GMail chat to verify things are working from the GV end.  I'm pretty sure I found the window where it's supposed to have a link to "switch from Hangouts to Chat".  That link doesn't exist anymore.  Probably because Google shut Google Chat down.  Just passing that along in case others run across this thread.

Regards,
sjmyst

SteveInWA

Thanks; I will look into updating the instructions accordingly.   Given that Hangouts is now the default for calling from Gmail, and there wasn't a way for you to make one phone call using Chat, did it simply work without needing to do that?  I believe that's the current behavior, but having a "newbie" confirm this would be great.