News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to port to Google Voice

Started by STDS9, July 11, 2017, 10:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STDS9

So it's my understanding that if Google Voice check comes back and say

"Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support."

There is no way to port the mobile number from area code 304?  Is there absolutely no workaround?  Can I somehow have that number transfer to a cheap account that can do call forwarding?

I was disappointed when I found out my landline (after transferring to T-Mobile) is not possible to port to Google Voice.  So, at this point, I'm trying to figure out a workaround.

LTN1

I had issues with porting my landline number to GV also. The cheapest method that I found thus far that will port and be usable with your OBi device would be to port it to Localphone.com. The porting fee will be around $15 and incoming calls are free within reasonable usage (they're trying to avoid people who use their incoming numbers as call centers). There is also a .99 cents per month continuing fee.

If you are going to be using that number for incoming and outgoing and you don't want the incoming call fee but are willing to pay a yearly cost of $60, try PhonePower through the OBiTalk portal.

Lavarock7

Porting is free into Voip.Ms and you ca ncheck their rates online.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

STDS9

@LTN1, I checked with localphone.com but they seem to want to charge incoming calls while you indicated it's free.  What am I missing?

Also, what about MagicJack?  Does this service work?

LTN1

They'll only charge for incoming calls if you forward that call to another location...like a cell or another landline. Incoming calls to the number you have a Localphone and you pick it up at the OBi device will be free--up to 100 per day...and any overage is .01 cent per incoming call regardless of the time on that call.

Under FAQ (https://www.localphone.com/help/incoming_numbers):

Do I have to pay for calls to my Incoming Number?

We will only charge you if you choose to forward your Incoming Number to a landline or mobile, in which case you will be charged at our standard call rates.

STDS9

@LTN1, I see.  You are saying connect Obi device to it as an SP for incoming calls and dial-out through Google Voice for outgoing calls?

I'm not sure why but I just got a response that my area code 304 number is not portable on their end.

LTN1

If Localphone says they can't port your number, then it would be fruitless to continue with that service for you. If your number is difficult to port for some of these lower end services...you might consider something like PhonePower that comes out to be around $5 per month...and it would give you unlimited incoming and outgoing for the number you want to port.

STDS9

@LTN1, I have a MagicJack Go device not being used so I'm thinking maybe I can use MagicJack as a Park & Forward service.  Its 1-year service is $35 = $2.92/month, or the 5-year service is $99.75 = $1.67/month.  Port-in is $10 one-time fee. MagicJack has Call Forwarding feature and it's flat fee (does not charge incoming or outgoing by the minutes).  Its porting check seem to indicate I can port my 304 number.  It's not a perfect solution but at least I get to keep my number and will not miss calls (which will be forwarded to the GV number).

Do you see any con in this approach?

LTN1

I've used magicJack as a call forwarding option in the past--and it was fine. I don't necessarily care for using magicJack the device--because the quality wasn't stable (in the past)--but if nothing else has changed, the call forwarding can be a good option.

The main con I see is if it goes under and their services stop...but it applies to any other company. I suspect though, that magicJack is more susceptible to competition and changing technologies that may put a nail in its coffin before the 5-year service is up.

Michael_Reeder

Callcentric is working well for me right now.  They have some very cheap options and allow forwarding on numbers set to allow incoming calls.

They sell outbound calling and inbound calling separately, which I found a bit confusing, but I guess that makes them more flexible to whatever the need is.

-- Michael

STDS9

I'd go with Callcentric, but even they won't port my 304 number!!  The only that would port my 304 number is MagicJack.