News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Home/Cell Setup

Started by jdg8228, July 15, 2017, 08:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdg8228

Hello everyone, forgive me as i am sure someone has asked this question before, but i was unable to find a definitive answer. I would like to use one number (currently my mobile) for both my Obi200 and my cell. My thought was to port my current mobile number to Google Voice and get a new "dummy" number assigned by my mobile provider.

Will Google voice reliably forward calls to my Google Voice number to both my Obi200 and my cell phone?

If i am at home will i be able to choose to answer my cell or my home handset?

On a side note, will i still be able to send text messages from my cell using my Google voice # (i used to be able to do this using hangouts, but Google is always changing its sms/voice apps.

Basically i want to use one number for everything @ home & on my cell.

Thanks for your help.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Yes, you are describing exactly how Google Voice works, by default.  You also are correct about the need to port your mobile number over to Google Voice and then get a new mobile phone number.  Nobody needs to know the new mobile number, as you will be using the Google Voice number for all calls (if you wish). 

Number porting costs $20.  Please read the documentation over on the Google Voice Help Center before starting, and be sure to get the correct account number and PIN information from your carrier before attempting the port.  Do NOT cancel service on your mobile number.  The porting system will do that for you, at the correct point in the process.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124