News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ANVEO VOIP not working after upgrade router from AC66 to AC3100

Started by simsin, July 16, 2017, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simsin

Hi guys,

I hope one of the pros here can give me a hand with my issue.

I recently changed routers from an ASUS AC66U TO ASUS AC3100

I flashed both routers to a recent version of MERLIN

My Obihai 200 device has been setup with Anveo VOIP provider for a long time now, eveything was working great with the AC66.

When i reconnected my devices, everything is working except my VOIP

On the obi200 i have 2 SIP Anveo (primary) and google voice (secondary)

The google voice works, I am able to receive and make calls.

The Anveo doesnt allow to receive or make calls.

Someone mentioned i should disable "SIP passthrough" which i tried and to this seemed to work briefly as the 3rd light on the obi200 started flashing and i was able to make and receive calls with 1-way audio.

The connection to the ANVEO server cant be registered again.

Im not sure what I can do to test what the problem is.

When i connect to the obi200 i get the following:

Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=67.212.84.21:5010; retrying)

is there something i can try to see where the issue is coming from?

sorry for the wall of text thanks for the help!

azrobert

People have reported strange behavior when SIP ALG is enabled on their router, so disable it if enabled. I recently discovered parm X_DetectALG. I don't know if enabling this setting with ALG enabled on the router will fix problem.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile ? SIP > X_DetectALG: Checked

Taoman

Specifically, what version of Merlin are you running? Is it the same version you were running on the 66U?

I'm running 380.66_6 (380.67_0 was released today) on an 86U and my OBi200 registers to Anveo just fine.

The whole NAT SIP passthrough subject is a convoluted one with Asus routers. At one point they completely reversed the meaning of "disabled." Suggest you read the URL below plus the thread referenced in post #3. RMerlin (Eric) is currently suggesting running SIP Passthrough as "Enabled + NAT helper" which I'm doing and I'm not experiencing any VoIP issues.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-n66u-sip-nat-passthrough-disable-enable.33218/

Do you have a softphone you can try to register to Anveo with? If not, I would suggest downloading Phonerlite on your PC and trying that. It would be a good troubleshooting step to know if a softphone could register to Anveo thru the same router.

Hopefully, WelshPaul will see this and chime in. He is very knowledgeable on Asus routers running Merlin.

Edit:  So I'm confused after reading this. So it worked for awhile on your ac3100 and now it doesn't?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31396776-Anveo-Obi200-device-unable-to-register-with-Anveo-after-new-router-inst

simsin

it seemed to work when i disabled  "SIP passthrough" however it was only one way audio.

Then the light on the 3rd light on the obi200 stopped lighting up.

i tried to reboot and only the first 2 lights were solid the third wasnt green anylonger.

Basically i plug the ac66 it works perfectly.

I plug the ac3100 everything works.. (including googlevoice on the same obi200) but the anveo doesnt.

I really want to switch to the ac3100 and stop using the ac66 so if someone can help get this fixed i would be glad to paypal a $10 for a celibratory beer! :)

i can do any test needed... unforunately i am not very good with networking but i will do whatever you guys suggest!

SteveInWA

Quote from: simsin on July 16, 2017, 08:22:42 PM
it seemed to work when i disabled  "SIP passthrough" however it was only one way audio.

Then the light on the 3rd light on the obi200 stopped lighting up.

i tried to reboot and only the first 2 lights were solid the third wasnt green anylonger.

Basically i plug the ac66 it works perfectly.

I plug the ac3100 everything works.. (including googlevoice on the same obi200) but the anveo doesnt.

I really want to switch to the ac3100 and stop using the ac66 so if someone can help get this fixed i would be glad to paypal a $10 for a celibratory beer! :)

i can do any test needed... unforunately i am not very good with networking but i will do whatever you guys suggest!

I can't solve your problem, but I can tell you that your post quoted above is a pretty clear indication that your problem is caused by the router's SIP ALG (Application Layer Gateway) setting being turned on, using whatever strange jargon they are using to describe that function.  The two clues are:

• "it seemed to work when i disabled  "SIP passthrough" however it was only one way audio."  One-way audio is the classic SIP ALG-caused problem.  Whatever they mean by "SIP pasthrough" will need to be investigated.  Most other routers have, or at least used to have, a "SIP ALG" setting.  Turning OFF SIP ALG solves the problem.
  • "I plug the ac3100 everything works.. (including googlevoice on the same obi200) but the anveo doesnt."  Google Voice doesn't use SIP, so it is not impacted by this setting.

Webslinger

Quote from: Taoman on July 16, 2017, 01:25:09 PM

The whole NAT SIP passthrough subject is a convoluted one with Asus routers. At one point they completely reversed the meaning of "disabled." Suggest you read the URL below plus the thread referenced in post #3. RMerlin (Eric) is currently suggesting running SIP Passthrough as "Enabled + NAT helper" which I'm doing and I'm not experiencing any VoIP issues.

Yes, SIP Passthrough should be set to "Enabled + NAT helper" with Asus Merlin. I have an RT-AC3200, and it works fine with all of my SIP services, including Anveo. RT-AC68U also works fine with SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled + NAT helper". Asuswrt-Merlin version 380.67_0 is being used.

I question whether a modem/router combo or gateway provided by the ISP is not being used in bridge mode. Ensure that it is in bridge mode in order to bypass its, potentially hidden, SIP ALG function. Also reboot devices in the following order: modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to start populating)-->ATA.

Quote from: simsinThe connection to the ANVEO server cant be registered again.

That could be due to a UDP timeout issue or corrupted NAT connection.

QuoteRegister Failed: No Response From Server (server=67.212.84.21)

Using sip.ca.anveo.com

1. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (depending on which you use to configure your ATA), Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(Anveo) Service-->X_UserAgentPort

Change X_UserAgentPort to a random port number between 30000 and 65535.

2. Satisfy the following conditions (thanks to Mango):

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < X_KeepAliveExpires (in your ATA) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < RegisterRetryInterval (in your ATA)

"<" means less than

UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings are found under Tools-->Other settings in Asuswrt-Merlin (in your router).

X_KeepAliveExpires is found under Voice Services-->SP(Anveo) Service-->X_KeepAliveExpires (ATA)

RegisterRetryInterval is found under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (Anveo)-->SIP-->RegisterRetryInterval (ATA)

3. In your router, change SIP Passthrough to "Enabled + NAT helper"

4. Ensure whatever modem/router combo or gateway your ISP gave you is in bridge mode. If you don't know how to enable bridge mode, contact your ISP.

5. After making appropriate changes, save settings, and then reboot devices in the following order: modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to start populating)-->ATA. Rebooting devices in this specific order should not be necessary if you did #2 properly.

Taoman

Quote from: simsin on July 16, 2017, 08:22:42 PM

My suggestion is to carefully follow Webslinger's directions exactly as written.

Webslinger

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2017, 08:15:56 AM

My suggestion is to carefully follow Webslinger's directions exactly as written.

This may be completely unrelated, but I was just looking at this error again:

"Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=67.212.84.21:5010; retrying)"

Okay, so that's the Canadian Anveo SIP server.

Isn't 5010 for TCP? And isn't TCP only a premium subscription option with Anveo?

I'm wondering if UDP for Proxyservertransport and 5060 for Proxyserverport shouldn't be used instead?

You folks would know better than I do because I'm not on a special paid plan with Anveo.
http://www.anveo.com/service.asp
Look under SIP TCP.
I don't know if simsin is on a paid plan.

Presumably if the only thing that changed is the router, then what I'm asking here doesn't matter.

Taoman

Quote from: Webslinger on July 17, 2017, 08:52:08 AM

Isn't 5010 for TCP?
No.

Quote from: Webslinger
And isn't TCP only a premium subscription option with Anveo?
Yes.

I'm wondering if UDP for Proxyservertransport and 5060 for Proxyserverport shouldn't be used instead?
Won't work. Has to be 5010.

Webslinger

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2017, 09:02:29 AM

Isn't 5010 for TCP?
No.

And isn't TCP only a premium subscription option with Anveo?
Yes.

Won't work. Has to be 5010.

Okay, thank you. This post was confusing:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28323978-

Proxyserverport appears to default to 5060 in that screenshot using Obitalk's preconfigured Anveo settings.

Taoman

Whether using UDP or TCP as your transport protocol the proxy server port must be 5010.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_obi110

Webslinger

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2017, 09:12:24 AM
Whether using UDP or TCP as your transport protocol the proxy server port must be 5010.

http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_obi110

Thanks, that other dslr screenshot was confusing me.

simsin

Quote from: Taoman on July 17, 2017, 08:15:56 AM

This may be completely unrelated, but I was just looking at this error again:

"Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=67.212.84.21:5010; retrying)"

Okay, so that's the Canadian Anveo SIP server.

Isn't 5010 for TCP? And isn't TCP only a premium subscription option with Anveo?

You folks would know better than I do because I'm not on a special paid plan with Anveo.
http://www.anveo.com/service.asp
Look under SIP TCP.
I don't know if simsin is on a paid plan.

Presumably if the only thing that changed is the router, then what I'm asking here doesn't matter.

Webslinger!! You gave me advice when i was deciding on switching from POTS on RFD!
Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'll try to add as much details as possible about my setup.

I have Bell FTTH setup.
The Bell ONT is connected directly into my ASUS router (using VLAN tagging) so I eliminated the modem.
So my setup is BELL ONT ---> ROUTER ---> ATA

I have the "CANADA UNLIMITED" plan from anveo:
http://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp

I'm going to try all the steps you gave me tonight and report back.

Webslinger

Quote from: simsin on July 17, 2017, 11:29:18 AM

Webslinger!! You gave me advice when i was deciding on switching from POTS on RFD!

There's all kinds of Webslingers out there.  ;)

QuoteThanks for taking the time to help.

No problem

I have Bell FTTH setup.
The Bell ONT is connected directly into my ASUS router (using VLAN tagging) so I eliminated the modem.

So, you're doing this: http://blog.ngpixel.com/post/104449747538/how-to-bypass-bell-fibe-hub-and-use-your-own-router ?

That might be part of the problem. I haven't done any troubleshooting using the setup you're describing. I do know there were some related issues at one time with using VLAN with NAT Acceleration enabled. I don't know if those issues still exist (one of them was traditional QoS didn't work properly with NAT Acceleration enabled).

If you still experience issues after following the steps I listed in my first reply in this thread, for troubleshooting purposes,
a) try disabling NAT Acceleration. It's found under Advanced Settings-->LAN-Switch Control-->NAT Acceleration
(set to disable). Then click "Apply". Reboot router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to start broadcasting)-->Reboot ATA.

Check Anveo registration status in the ATA. If Anveo shows as being registered, test calls. If everything works, you found the source of the problem: NAT Acceleration is enabled with VLAN.

b) Re-enable NAT Acceleration. Re-attach your modem (put it back in/use it), and do PPoE login with your router. Disable all the VLAN stuff in the router (return those to defaults). Don't use the modem to do PPoE login (also disable Wi-Fi in it). Click "Apply". Reboot router-->Reboot ATA. Ensure that Anveo is registered in the ATA. Test calls.

simsin

Quote from: Webslinger on July 17, 2017, 11:50:45 AM

So, you're doing this: http://blog.ngpixel.com/post/104449747538/how-to-bypass-bell-fibe-hub-and-use-your-own-router ?

Yes - basically i use router to setup a PPPOE and tell it to use VLAN35. This way I avoid using the Bell modem completely.

But the weird thing is... I have this exact same setup on the AC66 and that setup doesnt cause any issues with ANVEO.

Webslinger

Quote from: simsin on July 17, 2017, 01:22:08 PM

Yes - basically i use router to setup a PPPOE and tell it to use VLAN35. This way I avoid using the Bell modem completely.

Yeah, that's not how I would go about testing to make sure things work. Use the modem and do PPoE login in the router. Make sure that works first, and if that does work, then you're getting into NAT issues when using VLAN, NAT Acceleration, and potential router firmware bugs.

These posts from Sodibinder are related: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-your-own-router-1993629/2/#p26771733 and http://forums.redflagdeals.com/please-sticky-how-bypass-bell-hub-use-your-own-router-1993629/2/#p26785688.

QuoteBut the weird thing is... I have this exact same setup on the AC66 and that setup doesnt cause any issues with ANVEO.

It wouldn't be weird if NAT acceleration was effectively off in your RT-AC66U: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/no-hw-acceleration-on-rt-ac66u-after-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-install.17807/#post-124667

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Webslinger

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voip-ms.31456/page-4

Read through that entire thread, but I would ignore any advice about port forwarding, unless you want to introduce security risks. The problem is related to using VLAN in the Asus router.
Kronyx's issue is exactly the same as yours: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voip-ms.31456/page-2#post-250323.

I almost guarantee you will have no issues when using the Bell modem and doing PPoE login with the router. Keep SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled + NAT helper" when doing that.

You can try disabling NAT Acceleration as I mentioned earlier if you don't want to use the Bell modem.
You can also try switching SIP Passthrough to "enabled" if the stuff I posted in my first reply doesn't help, but I wouldn't hold my breath (I don't think you're using UDP 5060 for anything if you followed my posts): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voip-ms.31456/page-4#post-252999.

Bottom line is that your issue is related to using this setup: http://blog.ngpixel.com/post/104449747538/how-to-bypass-bell-fibe-hub-and-use-your-own-router.

simsin

Quote from: Webslinger on July 17, 2017, 07:17:09 AM
Quote from: Taoman on July 16, 2017, 01:25:09 PM

Yes, SIP Passthrough should be set to "Enabled + NAT helper" with Asus Merlin. I have an RT-AC3200, and it works fine with all of my SIP services, including Anveo. RT-AC68U also works fine with SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled + NAT helper". Asuswrt-Merlin version 380.67_0 is being used.

I question whether a modem/router combo or gateway provided by the ISP is not being used in bridge mode. Ensure that it is in bridge mode in order to bypass its, potentially hidden, SIP ALG function. Also reboot devices in the following order: modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to start populating)-->ATA.

Quote from: simsinThe connection to the ANVEO server cant be registered again.

That could be due to a UDP timeout issue or corrupted NAT connection.

QuoteRegister Failed: No Response From Server (server=67.212.84.21)

Using sip.ca.anveo.com

1. In your Obihai ATA or at Obitalk.com (depending on which you use to configure your ATA), Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(Anveo) Service-->X_UserAgentPort

Change X_UserAgentPort to a random port number between 30000 and 65535.

2. Satisfy the following conditions (thanks to Mango):

UDP Unreplied Timeout (in your router) < X_KeepAliveExpires (in your ATA) < UDP Assured Timeout (in your router) < RegisterRetryInterval (in your ATA)

“<“ means less than

UDP Unreplied Timeout and UDP Assured Timeout settings are found under Tools-->Other settings in Asuswrt-Merlin (in your router).

X_KeepAliveExpires is found under Voice Services-->SP(Anveo) Service-->X_KeepAliveExpires (ATA)

RegisterRetryInterval is found under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile (Anveo)-->SIP-->RegisterRetryInterval (ATA)

3. In your router, change SIP Passthrough to "Enabled + NAT helper"

4. Ensure whatever modem/router combo or gateway your ISP gave you is in bridge mode. If you don't know how to enable bridge mode, contact your ISP.

5. After making appropriate changes, save settings, and then reboot devices in the following order: modem-->router (wait for Wi-Fi SSiDs to start populating)-->ATA. Rebooting devices in this specific order should not be necessary if you did #2 properly.

Ok I wasnt able to do all the testing I would have liked yesterday  - didnt test with modem connected to router and routerdoing the PPPOE (will be continuing on it tonight) 

I did proceed with the instructions you wrote, however seems the same issue is still present.

Just to confirm i understood correctly:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (30) < X_KeepAliveExpires (60) < UDP Assured Timeout (120) < RegisterRetryInterval (240)

Using these values for each field would be good, right?

Webslinger

Quote from: simsin on July 18, 2017, 12:49:46 PM

Just to confirm i understood correctly:

UDP Unreplied Timeout (30) < X_KeepAliveExpires (60) < UDP Assured Timeout (120) < RegisterRetryInterval (240)

Using these values for each field would be good, right?

Yeah, frankly none of that matters for your specific VLAN issue.

I'm almost positive your issue is with VLAN. So, refer to everything after and including this post that I wrote instead:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12822.msg82299#msg82299

When you're posting about your issue elsewhere, you should make it extremely clear that you're using this setup (since it's the root of the problem):
http://blog.ngpixel.com/post/104449747538/how-to-bypass-bell-fibe-hub-and-use-your-own-router. I'm referring to this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voip-not-working-after-upgrade-from-ac66-to-ac3100-both-merlin.40189/#post-335850.

My theory is
BELL ONT (Bell optical network terminal) + Asus router VLAN setup  + Asus router NAT Acceleration   = SIP problems.

Regardless, it's an issue that's specific to VLAN. I'm not using DSL or Bell, and, consequently, I have no way of troubleshooting this issue.

I know this works (disable VLAN):
BELL Home Hub/gateway (in bridge mode) + Asuswrt-Merlin router (doing PPoE login and with SIP Passthrough set as "Enabled + NAT helper") + properly configured Obihai ATA = no problems

You could try BELL ONT (Bell optical network terminal) + Asus VLAN (test with SIP Passthrough set as "Enabled + NAT helper" and then, if that doesn't work, test with SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled") - Asus NAT Acceleration (disable it in the router)

simsin

Webslinger you were right.

It seems it was the damned VLAN with the ac3100.

I wish I could eliminate the modem and have the same configuration as with the AC66 (hate having an extra device in the setup)

BUT i'm glad i can finally use the AC3100! its such an upgrade to my AC66.

Honestly thanks again for all the help and for the guidance in my VOIP decisions.

I couldn't be happier with the setup and im glad i ditched the POTS.
The combination of FTTH setup with VOIP is divine!