News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up line 1 & 2 on my new OBI202

Started by JimBtr, July 17, 2017, 11:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBtr

I just set up my home/personal line 1 on my new Obi202  with GV and I want to know if I can set up line 2 on GV using a separate phone # for business calls? 

SteveInWA

If you mean, use a different Google account, with a different Google Voice number, for Line 2, then yes, you can do that.  Just follow the same instructions you did for Line 1.  Note that the OBiTALK web portal will allow you to select which Service Provider (SP1 -- SP4) to use as the default for outbound calls, and which of the two Phone line jacks will ring on inbound calls from those providers.

Also note:  if connecting a two-line phone or two one-line phones, pay attention to wiring.  The Phone 1 jack on the back of the OBi is a four-conductor, RJ-14 jack.  The center two pins are Line 1, and the outer two pins are Line 2.  This can be used with a four-conductor telephone cord to plug into a two-line phone's "L1+L2" jack.  The Phone 2 jack is a two-conductor, RJ-11 jack.  It's two center pins are connected only to Line 2.  This is so that you could use the Phone 1 jack and the Phone 2 jacks, each with a two-conductor phone cord, to plug in two different one-line phones.

JimBtr

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 17, 2017, 11:19:04 AM
If you mean, use a different Google account, with a different Google Voice number, for Line 2, then yes, you can do that.  

Let me ask you this.  What will happen when I plug a phone jack into the phone 2 line on the obi202?  

Just follow the same instructions you did for Line 1.  Note that the OBiTALK web portal will allow you to select which Service Provider (SP1 -- SP4) to use as the default for outbound calls, and which of the two Phone line jacks will ring on inbound calls from those providers.

Also note:  if connecting a two-line phone or two one-line phones, pay attention to wiring.  The Phone 1 jack on the back of the OBi is a four-conductor, RJ-14 jack.  The center two pins are Line 1, and the outer two pins are Line 2.  This can be used with a four-conductor telephone cord to plug into a two-line phone's "L1+L2" jack.  The Phone 2 jack is a two-conductor, RJ-11 jack.  It's two center pins are connected only to Line 2.  This is so that you could use the Phone 1 jack and the Phone 2 jacks, each with a two-conductor phone cord, to plug in two different one-line phones.
[/quote]

SteveInWA

What will happen when I plug a phone jack into the phone 2 line on the obi202?

Massive sparks will shoot out of the OBi, then flames and toxic smoke.  A blinding flash of light will destroy your retinas.

Seriously:  like I said:  the 202 has two physical telephone line interfaces.  You use the OBiTALK web portal to determine which of your SPs ring for inbound calls on each of those two lines, and you can set which of the SPs are the default to use when you pick up the phone and make an outbound call on either physical telephone line.

For example:  assume you have two different Google Voice accounts.  Account A on SP1, and account B on SP2.  You could configure SP1 to ring on Phone 1, and SP2 to ring on Phone 2.  You could then plug two different one-line phones into the two jacks, and use them independently.  Or, you can plug two 2-conductor phone cords into those two jacks, and plug the other end of the cords into the two jacks on a two-line phone.  Or, you can plug one 4-conductor phone cord into the Phone 1 jack, and plug that cord into the L1+L2 jack on a two-line phone.

Log into your OBiTALK web portal, https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and click on your 202 device.

Look at the table toward the bottom of the page.  It will show you how you have currently set it up to use the two phone ports.  See my screenshot below, for how I have mine set up (I am using all four SPs).

What detail in my explanation is still unclear? 

drgeoff

You can even use a 4 conductor cable between the OBi202's PHONE1 jack and a LINE1+LINE2 jack on a two line phone, plus a 2 or 4 wire cable between the 202's PHONE2 jack and a single line phone.  The LINE2 side of the two-line phone and the single line phone behave exactly the same as conventional extensions.  Both ring, you can answer on either and call from either.  When a call is active on one, you can take the other off-hook and join.

JimBtr

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 17, 2017, 05:39:15 PM
What will happen when I plug a phone jack into the phone 2 line on the obi202?

Massive sparks will shoot out of the OBi, then flames and toxic smoke.  A blinding flash of light will destroy your retinas.

Seriously:  like I said:  the 202 has two physical telephone line interfaces.  You use the OBiTALK web portal to determine which of your SPs ring for inbound calls on each of those two lines, and you can set which of the SPs are the default to use when you pick up the phone and make an outbound call on either physical telephone line.

For example:  assume you have two different Google Voice accounts.  Account A on SP1, and account B on SP2.  You could configure SP1 to ring on Phone 1, and SP2 to ring on Phone 2.  You could then plug two different one-line phones into the two jacks, and use them independently.  Or, you can plug two 2-conductor phone cords into those two jacks, and plug the other end of the cords into the two jacks on a two-line phone.  Or, you can plug one 4-conductor phone cord into the Phone 1 jack, and plug that cord into the L1+L2 jack on a two-line phone.

Log into your OBiTALK web portal, https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and click on your 202 device.

Look at the table toward the bottom of the page.  It will show you how you have currently set it up to use the two phone ports.  See my screenshot below, for how I have mine set up (I am using all four SPs).

What detail in my explanation is still unclear? 

By using two separate google accts, can I still set up phone two on the same obi202 device? 

SteveInWA

I thought I made that clear.

OBi 20x devices can host up to four different Service Provider (SP1--SP4) accounts.  On a 202, you can use the OBiTALK device configuration menu to select which SPx rings which of the two physical phone ports on inbound calls, and which of those four SPs to use as the default when you pick up the phone(s) to make calls.  For example, if you have Google Voice accounts A and B, set up on SP1 and SP2, you can set up your OBi to have SP1 ring on Phone line 1, and B ring on Phone line 2, or SP1 and SP2 ring on either or both of those phone lines.  It is easier for you to simply go look at the settings yourself, then for me to explain it any further.

Google Voice is a service.  All Google services are attached to Google accounts.  So, if you have two (or three or four) different Google accounts, each with its own Google Voice inbound number.  You then independently configure your Google Voice accounts to use the SP1--SP4 slots on the OBi.

SteveInWA

Here is a screenshot of my own OBi 202 phone port configuration from the OBiTALK portal page.

SteveInIN

Hoping I didn't make a mistake.  Just ported a second number into the same Google Voice account I have had.  They permit two lines by paying $20 to make the original line permanent.  So, today I have two GV numbers under one account.

(you can see where this is going)

I'm trying to set up one GV line on my Obi 202 [SP1], and the other on  SP2, have them ring each different phone and be able to make outbound calls using each's caller id.

Line 1 [SP1] works as it had before - in and out, but there is no dial tone on SP2.  Both SP1, 2 have a status of "connected" on Obitalk account setup.  Both numbers ring inbound on SP1.

Must we have two different Google accounts to get complete two line functionality? (I bought the Obi 202 for this specific purpose).

Any and all help would be appreciated!

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInIN on July 10, 2018, 07:01:35 AMbut there is no dial tone on SP2.
There is never dial tone on any SP.

Dial tone is generated within the OBi and is applied to the PHONE port(s).  A phone port is NOT hardwired 1:1 to a SP. A SP is only "connected" to a phone port when the OutboundCallRoute examines the dialled digits.  The "connection" is only maintained for the duration of that call.

Do you really mean that you have no dial tone on the phone plugged in to the PHONE2 jack of your OBi202?  If yes, be aware that the PHONE1 jack of a 202 is wired with both the PHONE1 and PHONE2 circuits.  The centre two pins (3 and 4) carry the PHONE1 circuit.  Pins 2 and 5 are hard wired to pins 3 and 4 of the PHONE2 jack.  Is there any possibility that the cord or the phone plugged into the PHONE1 jack is shorting out the PHONE2 circuit?

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInIN on July 10, 2018, 07:01:35 AM

Must we have two different Google accounts to get complete two line functionality? (I bought the Obi 202 for this specific purpose).

Correct. Surprising you wouldn't have researched this before actually porting your number.

Incoming calls to either number should work fine but for outgoing calls you can only have one "Primary" number. If you want to make an outgoing call on your second number you will need to login to your GV account and toggle it to being your Primary number. Not very convenient.

Suggest you make another Google/GV account and transfer your secondary line to the new account.